We had a terrible experience at Olonana. We chose Olonana partly based on the rave reviews on this website.
The worst part was when while my wife, 3yr old child and myself were at the swimming pool and the camp staff stoned and then beat a dog to death in front of us. My wife and I were/are still traumatised by the poor animal's suffering. I am a veterinarian and I cant forget that animals suffering. Paying >1000USD a night to have camp staff do this to animals is just abhorrent.
In addition to this there were numerous other problems we experienced with the camp. A brief list is a dirty room, hygiene problem with food preparation - both my wife and daughter had diarrhea at that camp, unprofessional laundry service - clothes returned dirty and crumpled, unsafe room - curtain rail which fell down when curtains closed, poor quality packed meals, unsafe swimming pool - missing grouting injured daughters legs when in the pool. There was also renovation work in progress when we were there.
There were of course some positive features but after the animal cruelty act it's so very hard to recommend anything about this place. I have taken my complaints to the Sanctuary Camps Managers and to an Abercrombie and Kent VP but so far a lack of what I consider an urgent and adequate response (beyond saying that they will investigate) indicates a complacent attitude towards animal cruelty and an absence of customer service by the managment and owners.
I think if you are an animal lover look elsewhere. If you are into customer service look elsewhere. If you are into value for money you can do better.
Everything I write above is an eyewitness account and personal experience and anyone can contact me - especially if you can help me stop similiar events happening at Olonana.
Dr Jonathan Hale and Family The British Veterinary Centre, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sanctuary Olonana, our award-winning tented camp situated on a private stretch of the Mara River, recently undergone a significant upgrade to the public areas of the lodge as well as a soft refurbishment to the tented rooms and pool area. The interior decor reflects a contemporary design using a combination of light earthy tones and the local Maasai women played an active part in the refurbishment using the same traditional technique used in their own houses to “mud” the interior walls in all of the main areas and curio shop. From the main viewing deck see and hear the family of noisy hippos who colonise the banks below the camp. Relax with a good book in the library, cool off in the pool or for an extra special treat, experience traditional African remedies and spa treatments in the mini-spa. Oversized Safari Tents – Built on the banks of the Mara River, the twelve canvas tents at Sanctuary Olonana are extremely comfortable and spacious. The ensuite tents all have two four-poster beds with floor to ceiling mosquito netting – making them perfect for families travelling with small children. Each of the private verandas overlook the river and offer the perfect spot where guests can relax and watch the resident hippos wallow in the water. There are also two honeymoon suites with each featuring outdoor showers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Sanctuary Olonana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sanctuary Olonana Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Sanctuary Olonana Kenya/Masai Mara National Reserve