I loved Sanctuary Olonana. From our pick up we were brought on a drive through the Maasai Mara Reserve and treated to a picnic lunch on the open plains. By picnic, I mean 'fully catered buffet meal'. Check out the photo of it I posted with this review.
We were welcomed in the traditional Maasai style once we arrived to camp. The camp is gorgeous, huge and the rooms are enormous. You feel like you are in the middle of nature while still having all the luxuries of a 5 star resort. While eating on ourtside dining area the first day, 3 elephants suddenly appeared from the trees on the other side of the river to dine "with us" (they were about 100 yards away munching on the trees.)
You also hear hippos calling to each other during the day and I would squeal everytime I heard their low grunts.
There is hot water, a western style toilet, sink, toiletries provided, 2 super comfy and huge beds, and everything you could want. And to my surprise, when I climbed into bed (that had been prepared and turned down for me sometime during our evening safari ride) there was a hot water bottle warming the sheets. It was awesome. Put that thing on your feet and you will sleep like a baby all night.
Besides the amenities, the staff is super friendly and helpful. Anything you could ever want, they can provide. And before we left, Olonana asks every guest to help the environment and plant a native tree (they provide it). It is a great little ceremony to wish us off.
I loved this place and would recommend it to everyone.
We were also told Danny DeVito stayed here and loved it.
This camp is fenced in so the large animals can't come up to the tents at night. So it is safe to walk around by yourself at all hours. (The fence doesn't impede the animals, but since hippos live in the river, they have to have a fence to keep the hippos out).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sanctuary Olonana, our award-winning tented camp situated on a private stretch of the Mara River, recently undergone a significant upgrade to the public areas of the lodge as well as a soft refurbishment to the tented rooms and pool area. The interior decor reflects a contemporary design using a combination of light earthy tones and the local Maasai women played an active part in the refurbishment using the same traditional technique used in their own houses to “mud” the interior walls in all of the main areas and curio shop. From the main viewing deck see and hear the family of noisy hippos who colonise the banks below the camp. Relax with a good book in the library, cool off in the pool or for an extra special treat, experience traditional African remedies and spa treatments in the mini-spa. Oversized Safari Tents – Built on the banks of the Mara River, the twelve canvas tents at Sanctuary Olonana are extremely comfortable and spacious. The ensuite tents all have two four-poster beds with floor to ceiling mosquito netting – making them perfect for families travelling with small children. Each of the private verandas overlook the river and offer the perfect spot where guests can relax and watch the resident hippos wallow in the water. There are also two honeymoon suites with each featuring outdoor showers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sanctuary Olonana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sanctuary Olonana Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Sanctuary Olonana Kenya/Masai Mara National Reserve