Porini Mara Camp
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Mara Leisure Camp(Masai Mara National Reserve)
  • Breakfast included
Mara Siria Camp(Masai Mara National Reserve)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
AA Lodge Masai Mara(Masai Mara National Reserve)
Good 3.5/5
  • Breakfast included
Sarova Mara Game Camp(Masai Mara National Reserve)
  • Breakfast included
Mara West Camp(Masai Mara National Reserve)
  • Restaurant
Fairmont Mara Safari Club(Masai Mara National Reserve)
Excellent 5/5
  • Breakfast included
Keekorok Lodge-Sun Africa Hotels(Masai Mara National Reserve)
Excellent 5/5
    All reviewsol kinyei conservancymara campconservancy conceptgame drivesjake grieves cookgame watcherssafari experienceresident hippoother guestsroaring lionsmaasai guideslocal communityhot waterhis teamnature walkamazing wildlifeeco tourism
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 24 March 2014

I had a fantastic time at Porini Mara camp two weeks ago. Everything was truly perfect, especially the food! The only thing I would have liked was for some other guests to be there with me! Don't get me wrong; one-on-one attention is great, but the meals and game drives would have been a bit more lively with some additional guests. I guess that's what happens during the low season!

Simon and Jasphot (not sure if I spelled that right) were truly amazing! So much fun to talk to and they were awesome guides/drivers/spotters. My tent accommodations were fantastic and exactly as advertised. Julie Roggow at Gamewatchers was great getting everything organized for me and it all went beautifully ... pickups, dropoffs, flights, payments.

I was so lucky to see all of the Big Five on my first safari and I've recommended Gamewatchers & Porini Mara to everyone I've spoken with so far!

Thanks for the vacation of a lifetime!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
    1  Thank akumpel
    Reviewed 12 March 2014

Let me start by saying, I wouldn't mind waking up at Ol Kinyei Conservancy every day. You know that scene in Jurassic Park, when the guests encounter their first dinosaur? It felt like that (but replace the Brachiosaurus with a very curious giraffe). The rolling hills, the lush, green landscape, and animals, animals everywhere. Believe it or not, I think I preferred the ultra-exclusive conservancy to the Maasai Mara (though the latter didn't disappoint either). Where else can you watch zebras graze over (pressed) coffee and (free-range) eggs on toast?

While the land is the star of the show, other highlights are worth a mention: a morning nature walk with our lovely spotter, Jeffrey, and sundowners whilst overlooking a pride of sleepy lions.

One piece of advice: the Gamewatchers staff are happy to accommodate your wishes, so be upfront about what you'd like out of your safari. Spending a full day at the Maasai Mara can take a lot out of you - the roads are quite bumpy, and it's possible to drive for hours without seeing many animals. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I think the Ol Kinyei Conservancy is equally grand - and it's right at your doorstep! Take advantage.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near Simon, the resident hippo! (Kidding)
    • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
    2  Thank Melissa B
    Reviewed 11 March 2014

When we arrived at Porini Mara Camp we had already had four nights at Porini Rhino Camp, so we felt totally at home. The tents are beautifully equipped and have wonderful views over the plains. From our tent we saw elephant, giraffe, zebra, gazelle, wart-hogs, water buck, jackal, monkeys, wildebeest and more, we also heard some strange roars at night!
    The staff at the camp were fantastic, so friendly and very efficient. The food was excellent, thanks Julius! We had terrific guides, Geoffrey and Tipa. They took us out for hours each day and shared so much information. The conservancy had loads of wildlife, our special treat was a cheetah with her four tiny cubs, but we also saw several more cheetahs, lots of lion and so many herbivores. Zebra and giraffe in huge numbers as well as lots of elephant. Sadly the leopard eluded us, but there's always next time! We did spend a day in the main Mara reserve as we treated ourselves to the hot air balloon safari, an awesome experience! It was worth visiting the main reserve to see hippos and crocodiles, but personally I much preferred the conservancy. I have to compliment our agents, Africa Born, for their excellent choice of venue. We are very happy clients having had a truly amazing safari experience!

Room Tip: Most tents have a great view over the plains.
    • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
    1  Thank Jane W
    Reviewed 10 March 2014

My previous reviews confirm that I am a fan of this camp and the Conservancy concept. What more is there to say - spent two weekends at the camp in February 2014.

The experience gets better and better. The conservancy was teeming with game wildebeest and plains game everywhere. The predators were having a ball!! Also saw over 100 elephants entering the conservancy.

Visited the adventure camp and it is a great location with the exclusivity of being able to game drive and walk in the Ol Kinyei conservancy.

The guiding and quality of interaction from the teams at the Camp are unbeatable!

Can not wait to go back

Room Tip: All the tents are great!
    • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
    Reviewed 24 February 2014

We had an a amazing trip at Porini Mara. Coming from Tortillis , we are a bit sceptical about 'roughing it' but need not have bothered. The food was of a high standard, the bedding was very comfortable and the hot water bottle was much appreciated. However, the stars undoubtedly were the staff who went above and beyond, be it the guides and drivers, Moses who served in the kitchen and the chef who even produced a birthday cake in the middle of the bush.
    The wildlife viewing was spectacular and we saw absolute everything, most of it on the conservancy in splendid isolation. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple