“Another perfect holiday at Kicheche Bush Camp”
Review of Kicheche Bush Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Masai Mara National Reserve
Kicheche Bush Camp
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I love Kicheche Bush Camp. I have written reviews for KBC before and I still feel the
need to reiterate how perfect it is. KBC is in a beautiful location (the Olare Motorogi Conservancy) with an abundance of wildlife right there on your doorstep. It is also very close to the reserve when you want to go there (the conservancy borders the reserve and KBC is near the border). The tents are well spaced (there are only 6), very comfortable with ensuite (toilet, cold running water and a hot bucket shower set up). But the thing that makes KBC really stand out from its competitors is the quality of the staff. Darren and Emma are superb hosts; the camp staff are professional, friendly and attentive (your every need to accommodated); the guides are, quite simply, the best in the Mara area and go above and beyond to make sure that guests are seeing all they can during their stay; the chef and other kitchen staff are amazing. As I say, I love KBC. You should definitely visit.

Room Tip: All tents are the same I believe (3 on each side of the mess tent). I suppose you may have more gam...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Kicheche Bush Camp

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I go to Kicheche bush camp when I really need some R and R, and at other times too. I know of nowhere else where my batteries are recharged so magnificently starting with the morning alarm call when Daniel walks down the path gently saying good morning and I know carrying my tray of coffee to set me up for the game drive. All the guides are amazing and I never want to request one so I don't upset others that I have driven with previously. They know the animals, where to look for the leopards, which cheetah is pregnant and can seem to find lions and elephants to demand.
The chefs are terrific both for picnics and meals in camp and as for the bread baker well I wish he lived down the road. I am still raving about the aubergine bake.
Darren and Emma were born to do the job they are doing. They are fantastic hosts and nothing is too much trouble. They also have a great sense of humour.
I could have escaped the fact that the world cup was happening but on request Daniel brought me an overnight update each morning with my coffee tray. Now that's service.
Trip advisor won't let me delete my accidental rating for pool and Fitness centre.......there is neither.
I will be back

Room Tip: The tents are identical, beautifully furnished with a flush loo. Perfect
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Bush Camp is one of my favourite places in the world.
You immediately relax with such incredible surroundings, Darren and Emma's warmth and humour and the team who make everything run smoothly and nothing is too much trouble.
James guided us this time and as usual was fantastic - great positioning for photography, very knowledgeable and lots of fun.
My advice for what it is worth, is 1)come any time of the year they are open - the cats are always there and it's so much nicer in off peak periods when there are so few vehicles and 2) come for longer than a couple of nights!
We were already trying to work out when we're coming back before our last game drive.... :)

Room Tip: all six tents are set out the same!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We were honored to be Kicheche Bush Camp's first set of guests arriving for the new season in Jun2014! Throughout our 3-night stay, we were blown away by the generous hospitality of Emma, Darren, their cute dog-Bing, and the team of wonderful camp staff! Off the airport strip, we were greeted by Charles-our guide. He's the best guide we have had! As another reviewer noted, Kicheche Camps have highly qualified and certified guides who know everything about wildlife, plants and geography in the region. Charles has keen eyes to spot all movements that untrained eyes do not normally pick up. His trusts in other animals' behavioral cues and patience to scan around rewarded us with spotting hidden animals! The conservancy has lots of wildlife. We saw lions, leopard, jackals, bat-eared foxes, hyenas, leopard tortoises, wild cat (which we were told are rare to see), hippos, cape buffalos, elephants, zebras, giraffes, wildebeests, etc. Kicheche Bush hosts yearly returning professional photography teams at their camps. Thus, all their guides have great experience working with professional photographers. Charles would always ask if we were getting great pictures we wanted and often suggested moving the vehicle to a different angle to view the animals or different direction to capture beautiful lighting. If you're interested in photography, it's fantastic to have a guide who anticipates your needs.

Upon arriving at the camp, we were greeted by our hosts-Emma and Darren. They are friendly, interesting and genuine people, who make you feel welcome and comfortable at the instant you meet them. The tent was spacious, clean, comfortable and has everything you need. Nothing beats having Joseph - the housekeeping staff - to bring us hot water for bucket showers at the end of everyday, hot water bottle for warming the bed at night, and coffee, biscuits & hot water in the morning before sunrise! Kennedy, Abraham, William and the kitchen staff work tirelessly to prepare and serve us wonderful food from their kitchen tent in the back. We love the arrangement to have breakfasts out in the bush. We stopped at different spots every morning, had a big spread of delicious breakfast served in the shade under some tree with amazing views.

We had lovely intimate conversations with Emma and Darren during our stay. They are attentive to our needs, and genuinely interested in hearing about our days and us as individuals. They gave us a little tour of their behind-the-scene operation. Hats off to them for running a camp with a team in a remote area with environmental concerns at heart, while providing a wonderful experience to guests!

Our best wishes to Charles on his Gold level guide exam later this year, and to Kicheche Bush Camp for a successful season! We hope this won't be a once-in-a-lifetime experience for us, as we plan to return again!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JMWLam
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed at Kicheche Bush Camp for two nights during our maiden trip to Kenya. The camp is super luxurious with amazing food, comfortable beds and hot water on demand which is what you crave most after an adventurous but tiring safari. The location is in a conservatory so the best of Mara wildlife is literally at your door step, and the best part of being in the conservatory is that you do not see large number of vehicles. We had several occasions when we were the only jeep in middle of lions, elephants, zebras and more. The hosts are amazing and always willing to help. Sitting under the glistening stars after dinner and sharing your stories from the day is one of the best experiences of your life. We would come back here for sure!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank vikasg
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Kicheche camps are nice, but what really got me was all of their guides. I stayed at all four Kicheche camps and every guide was "silver rated" - which is sort of the equivalent to having a masters degree in guiding. Camps are each managed by a couple, which makes for a really great, intimate experience. I only had one night at Bush camp, but I recommend AT LEAST two nights.

Camps are laid out in a row with the lounge in the middle. If you want more privacy, choose one that is far out, however you will have to walk quite a distance.

Room Tip: Camps are laid out in a row with the lounge in the middle. If you want more privacy, choose one that...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Suzanne A
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Kicheche Bush Camp is amazing! We were immediately greeted at the air strip by our guide Patrick. Patrick is the most incredible guide!!! The aboslute best! He made sure that we saw everything that we were hoping to see. And it was more than I could even ask for. We saw lions, cheetahs, leopards, hippos, jackals, a serval cat, hyenas, elephants, wildebeest, and the list goes on and on! The wildlife viewing in Olare Motorogi conservancy is top notch. And you don't feel like you are surrounded by other land rovers. Because the conservancy is owned by the Masai, the number of camps within the boundaries and limited. And people driving around the Masai Mara game reserve can't drive into the conservancy. But we were allowed in the Masai Mara game reserve.

Upon arriving at the camp we were greeted by Darren and Emma, who were the most wonderful hosts. I loved the personalized note in our tent. The tent was beyond my wishes and hopes! And the food was to die for! The home made bread left your mouth watering.

The staff was friendly and genuinely interested in how your day was and went above and beyond to make sure your stay was comfortable. I am a teacher and we were lucky enough that they took us to a local school where we were able to spend the afternoon with the students. I can't wait to return again next year!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends