Unfortunately we only stayed for one night. Big mistake! Elephant Pepper is the quintessential African tented camp. Located in a prime spot on the verge of the open planes, in the Mara North conservancy, there is so much wildlife to see from the lounge and dining tents. As we checked in a hungry lioness walked no more than 250 metres away from us, clearly in the search of some food for herself and her three cubs (we were told by Patrick and Sofie, the lovely lodge managing couple).
The tents are simple, but very nicely decorated and very functional. A flush toilet and bucket shower in the bathroom, double basins, although no running water. But the butler makes sure that hot and cold water is always there!
After a delicious lunch (freshly baked pizza and salads) we had ample time to relax in the hammocks in front of the tents.
The afternoon safari gave us a good leopard sighting, (although the leopard was extremely lazy and just lying underneath the bush) and a stunning experience with a pride of lions, amongst them a lot of young that were up to mischief. We sat there for about an hour, watching them, with no other vehicles around us, just the lions, us and our sundowner gin&tonics. What an outstanding experience!
Upon return to the lodge the hot bucket shower was ready for us, and yes – water has to be used sparingly – but absolutely fine to have a good wash. Ladies who wish to wash their hair can always ask for a second bucket…
Dinner was a bit weak, we had expected more after the delicious lunch, but Patrick’s Crepes Suzette for dessert were delicious.
The next morning we decided to go on a quick bush walk, as Patrick is the only certified guide in the conservancy allowed to take guests out on foot. A Masai accompanied us, following with his bright red clothes to make sure nothing would attack us from behind.
We knew that there were plenty lions in the area, but we didn’t see any of them (I wasn’t too sad about this), just stacks of plane’s game.
We would go back to Elephant Pepper any time and definitely stay for at least 3 nights.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Elephant Pepper Camp is situated within the Mara North Conservancy. Small and exclusive, the camp is located in the heart of the African Bush. Our spacious canvas tents are comfortably furnished, featuring en suite bathrooms with flush toilets and traditional safari showers. Nothing rivals sitting around the campfire enjoying the sounds of the African night. Elephant Pepper Camp brings people back to nature – no traffic, no permanent structures, just the sights and sounds of the African bush. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your Elephant Pepper Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Elephant Pepper Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Elephant Pepper Camp Kenya/Masai Mara National Reserve