We'd never done a safari, so we had no idea what to expect. The tent was so comfortable, it was all there, just like a five star hotel room. It took a while to get accustomed to the animal sounds around you at night. We had a hippo munching grass outside our tent and an elephant wandered through the camp one lunchtime. You are safe though. There are security men patrolling all the time. (Thank you Danson who spent many hours keeping watch.) We spent four nights there and were treated so well. The food was out of this world, thanks to Sammy the chef, who always came out to see if you were happy - a lovely touch. Eating breakfast and lunch overlooking the Mara River with the crocs and hippos below was magical. We will never forget the experience. Our guide was called John and he was so knowledgeable and we did have a lot of fun. I counted 31 species in 4 days and that's not even mentioning the birds. Jumping out of the jeep at sundowner time was my favourite time of day, sipping red wine overlooking hippos wallowing in a waterhole filled with lilies - you couldn't beat it. Special thanks to Patrick who runs the place and is very passionate about the animals, as are all his wonderful staff it seems. A trip we will never forget and felt guilty for not taking our kids - but it was our 25th wedding anniversary!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Governors' IL Moran Camp is small and intimate. Located right in the heart of the Masai Mara Game Reserve, this small luxurious camp is hidden under ancient trees, deep in the forest on the banks of the Mara River. 10 spacious tents line the winding river banks of the Mara River. With the best game viewing right on your doorstep game drives and game walks are included in the rate. Governors has been pioneering immersive and transformational safaris in the Mara since 1972. We were the first operators to be permanently based inside the Mara, our site was chosen for its prime location and was the designated “getaway” for the Governors of Kenya. Unfenced and right in the heart of the action. Our camps are Located in some of the best and most precious Wildlife Locations in the world. We are a family with a colourful cast of characters that embodies the spirit of safari, while placing the care of the environment, community and conservation at the heart of everything we do. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers and Odigeo so you can book your Governors' Il Moran Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Governors` Il Moran Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Governors' Il Moran Camp Kenya/Masai Mara National Reserve