Luxury in the middle of the African bush! Enormous tents with all the mod cons you would need. Everyone was very friendly and, in general, the food was very good. We did have one duff meal though - filets of beef that were definitely not filets of beef (we couldn’t even chew them!). We had an apology from the manager (Daryl) but no more than that – I would have expected a better response from someone in charge of such a prestigious camp.
This is the place to come if you want to see lots of game without having to look too far – it was a bit like fishing in a fish pond. There was so much to see. The only downside was the number of other safari vehicles that, naturally, wanted to be a part of any sighting. However, it was all handled in a very orderly manner by the game drivers and in nearly all cases it was not a problem at all – there was so much else to see.
We saw a couple of river crossings, which enhanced our respect for the humble wildebeest, and like everyone else, we willed them across without any harm coming to them. The score for the two crossing was – Crocs 4, Wildebeasts 100s. Definitely, the highlight of our stay.
Ngei, our game driver was excellent. Always very cheerful and obliging, he was very knowledgeable and nothing was too much trouble. We hope that he gains his silver award, which he is studying for, in April.
You can see why the Big Cat Diary team selected this as the place to be. However, I'm glad we didn't go on the hot air balloon trip...it's so much more interesting to be really close to the action.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Governors' IL Moran Camp is small and intimate. Located right in the heart of the Masai Mara Game Reserve, this small luxurious camp is hidden under ancient trees, deep in the forest on the banks of the Mara River. 10 spacious tents line the winding river banks of the Mara River. With the best game viewing right on your doorstep game drives and game walks are included in the rate. Governors has been pioneering immersive and transformational safaris in the Mara since 1972. We were the first operators to be permanently based inside the Mara, our site was chosen for its prime location and was the designated “getaway” for the Governors of Kenya. Unfenced and right in the heart of the action. Our camps are Located in some of the best and most precious Wildlife Locations in the world. We are a family with a colourful cast of characters that embodies the spirit of safari, while placing the care of the environment, community and conservation at the heart of everything we do. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Governors' Il Moran Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Governors` Il Moran Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Governors' Il Moran Camp Kenya/Masai Mara National Reserve