“An excellent Mara Experience”
Review of Naibor Camp

Naibor Camp
Reviewed 2 December 2009

My wife and I spent four days and nights at Naibor. We found the management team to be very friendly and flexible, the game viewing exceptional and the accommodation very comfortable. It is one of the best situated camps we have stayed at with the river animals giving a great backdrop to the evening drinks around the campfire. We would happily return.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Naibor Camp

Reviewed 27 November 2009

Naibor is the best masai mara camp i have visited . Having stayed in several camps in the mara , i found the location , the service , the staff simply top class.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 November 2009

Not my first safari, but by far the best. Sophie, Jamie & Pedro made the stay extra special and ensured that I saw the big five and more in this amazing location. The accommodation and food were wonderful and all staff were kind and attentive. Never once did I feel unsafe or uncared for. I cannot praise them enough!!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 November 2009

My husband, my sister and I had a fabulous two nights at Naibor. We could not fault it, the hospitality, the food, the staff all made it a memorable stay.
We were around at the time of the migrations and Petro our guide made sure we saw one! It was worth it. What with all the other animals we saw I cannot recommend the camp highly enough! Go and enjoy the experience.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank taffieann
Reviewed 19 November 2009

My mother and I recently went to Naibor Camp, and on logging on to trip advisor to write my report I was dismayed to see the below - from hearing the story of the robbery from the managers themselves, and from my travel agent before I went, I understand that it was handled extremely well, and that the incident was both incredibly unexpected and traumatic, and not an inside job.

Naibor have now of course stepped up the security, and neither my mum nor I ever felt in danger or frightened. The bottom line is that this is a wonderful, safe camp, with more to offer than most of the other camps in the Mara.

The tents are stunning, all light, and beautifully decorated, with the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in - the managers Sophie and Jamie are wonderful, and the staff are all so kind, and always incredibly attentive and helpful.

The Masai Mara has so much to offer, and we saw lion, leopard and lots and lots of elephants, which was absolutely magical - but our stay would not have been the same if we hadnt been at Naibor, we are already planning our trip back there next year.

Unfortunately all over the world tourists are being targeted, through no fault of the hotels and villas, and this incident is no different - what a shame that a handful of horrible people can do such damage. Still I would advise that you dont let them ruin or take from you what will be a truly magical once in a lifetime experience. STAY AT NAIBOR.

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed 13 October 2009

My wife Julie and I arrived at OlKiombo Airstrip Masai Mara at 11.00 on Sunday 20th September and were met by David, our guide for our stay. Luggage loaded into the open sided / open topped Land Cruiser, we went for our first game drive on the way to the camp. We saw wildlife everywhere - Zebra, Thomson's gazelle, Warthogs et al. Greeted by Johan (the stand in manager) and a cocktail (non alcoholic of course) we were warmly greeted and introduced to our tent (No 4). There are only seven tents at Naibor and each has plenty of space around it. There is no power as such though a light from solar energy is available at night (the little panel on the roof was barely visible) and no running water, however jugs are in plentiful supply to wash yourself and if you want hot water your roomboy will fetch it (as he will for the bucket shower).
We freshened up and went along the riverbank (overlooking hippos in the Talek river) to the campfire corner where in the evening we all met up to recount stories of the day (or Johan's daring adventures with crocs).
At 4.00 we set off for our evening gamedrive and sundowner. Amidst plains full of animals - away from the leopard in the trees (Binti, daughter of Olive) at about 6.00 David stopped, fetched out chairs and a table, drinks and cashew/macademia nuts, and we watched the sun setting.
"Life - but not as we know it!!"
We returned to Naibor soon after, David still scanning the bush for the odd lion etc and freshened up before joining the rest of the guests and Johan around the campfire. (When we left our tent we had to flash our torches for a Masai guard to escort us-thecamp is unfenced and thus open to anything and everything)
When dinner was ready to be served in the large mess tent, we all sat around a large decorated table to be served almost gourmet style food presented just as if you were in a five star restaurant in England - even Banoffie Pie!!
This was to be the pattern until we left in the late aftternoon of 24th.
4 nights sealed in our canvas tent, we listened to the barks of nearby lion and shrieks of hyena at night
Our game drives varied from morning (when we set up a bush breakfast) all day (when we set up a bush lunch - usually on the banks of the Mara with hippos in the background) to evening (sundowner).
Game was plentiful. We saw the "big five" loads of lions, cheetah, leopard etc. We saw several crossings of wildebeeste and/or zebra; crocs fighting over a Thomsons taken by "the daddy"; wildebeeste being taken by a croc. Jackal, hyena, topi, loads of mongooses(mongeese?) elephant; hippo; buffalo;baboon; antelope; waterbuck; kudu; grant's gazelle; bat eared foxes; and on the very last day - rhino.
We can't praise Naibor enough and when Jamie and Sophie (the regular managers) returned and Johan went the personal service mentioned in other reviews was obviously their prime concern. One or both of them was around all the time ready to help or just making sure everything was alright. It was like staying with old (young) friends who just couldn't do enough to make our stay excel.
When the time came to leave OlKiombo on Thursday at 17.00 we were both so sad and bade Jamie (who took us himself to the airstrip) a fond farewell with so very grateful thanks for an absolutely fantastic five days.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2009

We stayed here for four night while on Honeymoon - Wow!
From the moment our friendly guide picked us up from the airport we were made to feel welcome by every single member of the extensive staff!
The tents we stayed in were brilliant: comfortable, clean and luxurious, but at the same time retain the feeling that you are in the middle of the Mara, surrounded by wildlife. (The noisy hippos make sure you remember that!).
The food was exceptional, I have no idea how they produce such food in the middle of the bush, but someone behind the scenes was working miracles! The attention to detail was wonderful, from the coffee and biscuits you are woken up with, to the hot water bottles in your bed at night.
Our guide,Petro was knowledgable, enthusiastic and good fun, and the quality and quantity of widelife we saw was staggering.
The camp managers Jamie and Sophie made us feel at home immediately, they worked incredibly hard to look after everyone, and I can't thank them enough for making our stay so memorable.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family