The Royal Mara Lodge was by far the highlight of our 2 week long Kenya safari. The RML is actually located in the Mara North Conservancy, which is a private conservancy adjacent to the actual Masai Mara Reserve. Because the Mara North is private, drivers can offroad at any time (in the actual national reserve, vehicles are generally required to stay on paths). Offroading permits you to get closer to and seem more animals. We had the closest and best animal encounters of our entire trip while in the Mara North.
The lodge itself is perfection. There are only 8 tents, so it offers a very personal, private experience. Each tent comes with its own staff - you have your driver, your housekeeper and your server, who stay with you throughout your stay. Each tent is spacious and immaculately decorated, with a very comfortable king sized bed and an extra large bathroom. Each tent also has a large porch overlooking the Mara River and the resident hippos. At night, you can fall asleep to the sound of wildlife (particularly the hippos that come out to graze). No tent is better than the next - they are all equally wonderful and spaced reasonably far apart so you have a great deal of privacy.
The food was excellent. Every meal began with a delicious cream of ___ (some vegetable) soup and ended with a lovely homemade dessert.
The best part of the RML experience was the staff. Everyone went above and beyond to make our stay wonderful. Each employee seemed genuinely happy to be there, which says a lot for the way the staff must be treated. In particular, our wonderful driver, James, showed us all of the Big 5 in our short 3 day stay, including THREE leopard sightings. Reagan, Steve, Simon, Tom, Alex, to name a few of our wonderful staff.
We will be recommending RML to all of our friends. I can't speak highly enough of the entire experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Mara is a luxury safari and game viewing lodge located in Kenya's world famous Masai Mara, home to the annual Great Migration of the Wildebeest. We are situated directly on the Mara River with six riverfront guest suites. All suites are raised upon wooden decks with full mahogany flooring and original hand carved furniture. See the same wildlife-rich areas as broadcast on the BBC Big Cat Diary. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Jovago.com so you can book your Royal Mara Safari Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Mara Safari Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Royal Mara Safari Lodge Kenya/Masai Mara National Reserve