In October of 2011 a group of us ventured into the unknown by going to Africa. I had heard many things and had many preconceived ideas about how it would be ..... totally wrong! To start, everyone was pleasant and helpful. Next, the "tents" were beautiful!! Completely comfortable and huge. Just make sure you zip your tent carefully or the monkeys will swing by to steal whatever they find. Off the porch of our tent was the river where the hippos grunted and swam. At night they come up from the river to graze on the grass around the tents, because of the wild animal possibilities we were told to never leave the tents without an armed guard. After learning that it was the hippos making that small sound at night, the next night when we heard it again we quietly unzipped our tent and peeked off the elevated porch to see a hippo mere feet from us. Awesome! Meals were always outside and one night we heard a lion roaring then suddenly a zebra dashed around the corner and ran past us. A particularly wonderful experience was the picnic lunch ... to our surprise our meal was served out in the open! A full course meal with wine, and real tableware was presented .... imagine our joy eating their delicious food while we admired the wildlife grazing around us! Giraffes, wildebeest, antelopes, warthogs, zebras .... what a delight. I can not say enough about how wonderful our experience was at Royal Mara. Would go back in a heartbeat!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Mara is a luxury safari and game viewing lodge located in Kenya's world famous Masai Mara, home to the annual Great Migration of the Wildebeest. We are situated directly on the Mara River with six riverfront guest suites. All suites are raised upon wooden decks with full mahogany flooring and original hand carved furniture. See the same wildlife-rich areas as broadcast on the BBC Big Cat Diary. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Booking.com and Jovago.com so you can book your Royal Mara Safari Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Mara Safari Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Royal Mara Safari Lodge Kenya/Masai Mara National Reserve