The Royal Mara Lodge accommodation was fabulous, wooden buildings on stilts with Teflon tents securing our home for the next 3 nights. A 4-poster bed decorated with wooden animal carvings and furniture to match certainly ensured we were going to be well looked after by day and by night. Food was served by the Mara River where we could peacefully watch the hippos lounging in the mudded water. 4 course lunch and dinner ensured you were never hungry and certainly did nothing for those wanting a healthy eating holiday! There was 24 hour escorted guard ensuring although we were in the middle of the Mara we were always protected for there are no fences separating you from the animals. It is difficult to put into words how it feels when you are woken in the night by the roaring of an angry lion protecting its prey, or a hippo quietly grazing on the grass outside your lodge but rest assured it was the most comfortable of beds and I have to say some of the best nights sleep I have had in ages! Even though it is pretty chilly at 6am getting up for the morning safari was not a problem. A quiet knock on the door from our butler Chris bringing us an early morning coffee, tea or hot choc with biscuits hit the spot! The staff were fabulous, whether they were the waiting staff, the security or the hotel management they all spoke perfect English and always had a smile on their face! The lodge is run by the Sphikas family who we only met on the night we arrived, however as we booked direct with them rather than a travel company we were certainly given a personal service before we had even left England. We explained we were coming for our honeymoon and they were able to give us a deal and also arrange later flights on departure day so we got another day's safari!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Mara is a luxury safari and game viewing lodge located in Kenya's world famous Masai Mara, home to the annual Great Migration of the Wildebeest. We are situated directly on the Mara River with six riverfront guest suites. All suites are raised upon wooden decks with full mahogany flooring and original hand carved furniture. See the same wildlife-rich areas as broadcast on the BBC Big Cat Diary. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com and Jovago.com so you can book your Royal Mara Safari Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Mara Safari Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Royal Mara Safari Lodge Kenya/Masai Mara National Reserve