We were planning this trip for our 25th wedding anniversary, and used Tripadvisor in selecting our destination, but our visit went above and beyond our expectations, so we wanted to share it with other people. We had a fantastic three days here. It was my first time in Kenya, however my wife has been to other parts of Kenya for business, and we had both wanted to see the animals of Masai Mara. Accommodations were private and luxurious, the food was on the level of a very good restaurant, the chef was responsive to special requests, and the staff went above and beyond to make sure we were welcome and comfortable. We had been a bit worried that the camp has no fences, but we felt perfectly safe thanks to the camp guards at night. We'd especially like to thank our safari guide, Raphael, thanks to whom we saw some extraordinary sights including leopards mating, multiple prides of lions with cubs, and a weeks-old elephant with its mother. He took us to remote, less frequented areas of the Mara. We were also able to take the option of an afternoon walking safari with a local Masai guide and a guard for security (from animals). We found this particularly interesting, as we were able to learn more about local plant and wildlife. During our visit the US posted a travel advisory for Kenya; however those warnings only apply to very limited areas of Nairobi and Mombasa, while the Mara is very safe. We're already thinking about when we could make another visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the world famous Masai Mara, Mara Explorer Camp is set on its own private peninsula, with each of its ten luxurious tents opening to the Talek River and the stunning savanna. The tents, equipped with all mod cons are set on wooden decks opening out to a private verandah where you can enjoy time alone in the wild away from it all. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Southall Travel, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your Mara Explorer Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mara Explorer Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Mara Explorer Camp Kenya/Masai Mara National Reserve