We stayed at Little Governor’s Camp as part of our 6 day Safari in the Masai Mara also staying at Governor’s IL Moran and Mara Intrepid’s, both of which I shall write separate reviews.
We stayed in September 2011 and had yet another memorable Safari and a wonderful time at Little Governor’s Camp. The Camp is surrounded by a Lake so you’re taken across the Lake which takes about a minute in a very small boat, and the guide pulls the boat across by rope. I remember thinking this poor guy must get so bored doing this all day, day in day out….!!!
On arrival we were greeted with a refreshing cold drink and a cold flannel, had a chat with the Staff and shown to Tent 4 overlooking the River. The Tent was massive with 2 single beds, an area to hang our Clothes and the bathroom area towards the back of the tent. We just had time for lunch and then off out on our 1st game drive.
We saw Elephants, Lions, Zebra’s, Giraffes, Water buffalos, Cheetah’s Impala’s, Hippo’s, Crocodile’s, beautiful Birds, Wart Hogs and much more.
A usual day on Safari is to be woken early morning by a drink of your choice, Tea, Coffee, Hot Chocolate and Biscuit’s then just before 6.30am your Safari starts once you’re across the little lake to get on your Jeep. Once in the Jeep there’s Blankets to wrap yourself in as it’s very cold first thing. Sunrise is approximately 6.45am. Your Safari lasts about 2 hours then back to Little Governor’s for Breakfast.
Your next Game Drive starts around 10am and back out to see what you can spot, sleeping Lions, grazing Zebras, playful Elephant’s and even frisky little Wart Hogs….Back to your tent around 12pm for some time to relax on the veranda of your tent before lunch. After lunch you can either relax in your tent or have a walk around the grounds along the river. There are Guards on look out so you do feel safe.
The last Game Drive starts around 4pm and your see that the Lions are all up and getting ready to hunt. We have to go back to Camp around 6pm then its Shower and get ready for dinner. After dinner an early night and what a lovely touch to pull back the bed sheets to finds a nice warm hot water bottle warming your bed.
All the Staff are wonderful, Room Boy's, Managers, Guards, Guides, Waiters, Chef. The food was amazing; you would think you were being served an A La Carte Meal. Drinks were reasonably priced to.
We would love to go back to Little Governor’s as it was a small Camp with a very personal touch.
We booked our Safari with Abdul of Tunda Tours.
See you again Masai Mara in 2013…..
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in a forest in the heart of the Masai Mara, Little Governors' is intimate in character. The luxury en-suite tents are tucked around a large water-hole clearing that teems with life. Beyond, lie the grasslands of the Masai Mara and the deep blue Olololo Ridge Escarpment. Arriving in Camp is an adventure, leaving your vehicle behind you cross the Mara River by boat and are escorted on foot through the forest to the camp. Governors has been pioneering immersive and transformational safaris in the Mara since 1972. We were the first operators to be permanently based inside the Mara, our site was chosen for its prime location and was the designated “getaway” for the Governors of Kenya. Unfenced and right in the heart of the action. Our camps are Located in some of the best and most precious Wildlife Locations in the world. We are a family with a colourful cast of characters that embodies the spirit of safari, while placing the care of the environment, community and conservation at the heart of everything we do. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Little Governors' Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Little Governors` Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Little Governors' Camp Kenya/Masai Mara National Reserve