“A Magical Experience”

Little Governors' Camp
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I stayed at Little Governors Camp from the 18th - 28th of January, It is simply a magical place to stay, every one I met was just so friendly and would go out of there way to please you. Little governors certainly is situated in the most perfect location, the range of animals around you is astonishing, The game drives where great the drivers just always seemed in know where to find what ever we asked to see. I would recommend taking a Hot Air Balloon flight when you visit it is a very unique and magical experience, and one of the most beautiful places in the world to do it. I cant wait to visit Little Governors again!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Musiara, Manager at Little Governors' Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Thank you for your review of Little Governors Camp. We are delighted that you liked the location of the camp and were able to see a wonderful variety of wildlife. We look forward to welcoming you back on safari with us sometime soon.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

Our second visit here in as many years, and greatly enjoyed it once again. It was great to get away from the world, revel in the natural spectacle that is the Masai Mara.

The staff were, once again, amazing. They took great care of us - and my elderly father who needed help getting up and down the steps and in and out of the vehicles.

We saw over 40 lion in 36 hrs - not that we set out to do this - they were just there!

We found the ideal tents for us were # 10 - 15 - quiet, away from the central areas, and surrounded by wildlife.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms 10 - 15 if you like being surrounded by wildlife and away from the main areas.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for posting your review of Little Governors Camp, we are very happy to her that you enjoyed the safari and felt well taken care of. Great that you got to see over 40 lion in 36 hours! The mara really is an amazing place to see big cats in the wild.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

We couldn't have had a more enjoying trip to Little Governors'.

The staff were fantastic - Duncan in the restaurant was a delightful waiter & ensured we had everything we needed throughout our stay. Our driver Frederick was full of information about all of the animals we saw & tailored each drive to our liking, so that we saw everything we wanted to. George, the site manager was absolutely lovely & so welcoming when we arrived. He checked in with us almost daily to make sure we were having an enjoyable stay.

Tea & biscuits as a 5am wake up call, clean & well serviced tents, delicious food all made for a great base during our honeymoon in what was the most romantic setting. I had a fantastic massage on our balcony whilst two warthogs grazed in the grass by our tent & a family of elephants were settling in the distance- not something you do everyday!

The camp has a beautful setting near marshland which meant hippos, elephants & even a leopard visited during our stay! You are very safe, thanks to the armed guards who patrol the grounds & escort you back to your tents with torches at night.

We were lucky enough to see the Big 5, lion cubs & several kills during our stay and that was all thanks to our driver, who communicated with other drivers consistently so that nobody missed out on any amazing opportunities.

We cannot thank the staff enough for making our honeymoon so special!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for posting your review and for choosing Little Governors Camp for your honeymoon. We are delighted that you enjoyed the safari so much and hope to welcome you back again one day.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

I arrived back in England today after my 10 day stay at Little Governors, already I'm planning a return trip. I've been to Africa many times before and visited many places in Kenya at varying times of the year. This though however has by far been my best experience of the fascinating Masai Mara.
The game drives ,The staff, The food and the general overall feeling of the camp amazed me. Nothing was too much trouble, All the staff and guides done their upmost to meet my requirements and in most cases far exceeded my expectations.
You really do feel as if you are a part of the Mara here, A very exciting feeling, Yet made safe by the experienced guards who are there in the background keeping you safe at all times.

I strongly recommend booking a Governors balloon flight, Like I said I have been here before and now wished I'd had done it sooner. I love wildlife and am a very keen photographer and being able to take pictures from the balloon gave me some really interesting images for my latest album. Yes you will have to awake early for this experience, Trust me though it'll be worth it…. I will definitely be booking a second flight on my return visit. I had Captain Pete as my pilot, A really lovely guy. He has a way of putting you at ease because if I'm honest i was a little nervous on the day, Captain Pete however was very professional and I soon realised I was in safe and capable hands. WOW i think sums it up.

When i left the place it was like saying goodbye to family,

Visit Little Governors, You won't regret it.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for posting your review of your Little Governors Camp safari, we are delighted that you enjoyed the safari and the camp so much. Thank you for recommending us and we look forward to welcoming you back again sometime in the near future.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Loved the river ride leading to the camp!!! This was scenic and enchanting, though the flight of stairs can take ones breath away, (one can also take it positively as good exercise).
Excellent tent, lovely surroundings. It was so nice to wake up to the breathtaking views of the Mara in front of you with various animals roaming and grazing around, such as elephants, hippos, monkeys, warthogs, etc..this camp overlooks the Mara directly.
Our game rides organised by the management were all excellent, we managed to see so many animals except for 'wilder beast' since these have already migrated to the other side. Our game keeper was knowledgeable and pleasant. He did a good job and knew his materials.
The manager was pretty good, no complaint..The food on the whole was sometimes very good and sometimes mediocre, (not to be compared with Loldia house or Mfangano island lodge or TATU in Nairobi). It is buffet style, American influenced, which is not my favorite and in the evenings, they offered us set menus, the choices were pretty good but not amazing. The place has lots of potentials if they only improve/upgrade the catering and in my opinion, they should keep the generator on at all times to ensure continuous running hot water for the shower especially that it gets cold at night.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Musiara, Manager at Little Governors' Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Thank you for posting your review of Little Governors Camp. We are delighted that you loved the boat ride to the camp, found the tent to be excellent and the surroundings lovely and the views of the Mara breathtaking. Your comments have been sent to camp and all the staff will be very happy to read them.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

We had an amazing time at Little Governors Camp from start to finish! From our greeting at the Musiara Airstrip to our first boat ride across the river and up the steps to the camp, the staff members at the camp were friendly and accommodating. We were able to experience high season during low season with the late migration of wildebeest and zebra crossing the river. Our guide, Ngei, had been monitoring the behavior of the wildebeest and zebra and guessed correctly which day they would cross and we were there to witness the spectacular event alongside only 13 other vehicles. Ngei was a fantastic guide during our 4 night stay and I would highly recommend him to others. Each tent was simply decorated and included the necessities for a wonderful stay with a comfortable bed (a hot water bottle was placed in the bed each night by our tent steward Charles -- a very nice touch to warm up the sheets). We started each morning with a wake up call that included hot chocolate and biscuits at 6am, a game drive at 6:30am, return to camp and full breakfast at 9am, a 2nd game drive at 10:30am, back to camp and lunch at 1pm, some time for a nap (unless the elephants were milling around your tent and you weren't able to get to your tent). The final game drive of the day was at 3:30pm returning to camp around 6:30pm with plenty of time to relax and refresh before each night's amazing dinner. I recall excellent desserts each night but the two that were particularly memorable were the crème brulee and the chocolate mousse. There is far too much food served at each meal with bread, soup, salad, entrée, desserts, etc. After the first day we declined an item here or there just to save ourselves from overload. All of the food was good. We were able to sit and eat meals and watch the wildlife (elephants, baboons, giraffes, water buck, etc.) in the marsh and even had some up close viewing of the elephants when they decided to come and eat the "toothbrush" tree next to the covered dining tent. We always felt safe with our security escorts, John and Ali, making sure no wild animals were near us either going to or leaving our tent. We finally saw the elusive black rhino on our final game drive due to Ngei's tenacity! I cannot say enough nice things about Little Governors and hope to return some day

Room Tip: Tent #17 is the farthest from the river. All tent locations were great. In low season, there were...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review of Little Governors Camp. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed the food and felt safe in camp. Your review will be sent to camp and everyone especially Ngei will be very happy to read this. Thank you and we hope to welcome you back again someday.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Day1 Arrived in Masai from the plane and greeted by a guide who said he would be our driver and introduced ourselves to a German couple who we where told we would be spending the next three days with us on our safari.

1st game drive after lunch we met at cars as advised. We were then told without explanation that we no longer had original driver but had another driver ' Fredrick' and the German couple would no longer be with us. As this was our third time on a safari and second time at little governors we had some idea of what to expect. However our new driver was a little backward in coming forward, firstly with interacting and volunteering information and secondly not very good at answering questions about the various wildlife.
As Fredrick was a Masai warrior we thought perhaps he was by nature perhaps a little quiet. Perhaps he needed to get to know us.
I think on the first day, perhaps we afforded him to much sympathy as we were paying good money for what should of been a good service with a forthcoming driver.
We returned that afternoon a little tired and a little disappointed .

Day 2
2nd game drive
We left camp very early we saw some lions right near the camp that everyone was watching. We had told Fredrick the day before that we were hoping to see a black Rhino, as it was the only animal from the big five that over our last few years of visiting we had yet to see. Fredrick received a call to an area where a black rhino had been spotted. We went along and saw the Rhino. After this Fredrick seemed to drive around and seemed distracted, often completely missing animals that we had both spotted without binoculars. We stopped by the river and ate breakfast but Fredrick seemed to have an unwillingness to converse.
However I attempted to speak to him about his culture and Masai tribe he then took an interest and even suggested quite adamantly that we should go to the village meet the people and it would cost us £25 dollars to do this. Also suggesting if we come to the Masai that we should take time out to visit the villages as this enables the funding of the kids education. We explained we are only here for three days maybe next visit to Kenya we may visit the village. Fredrick seemed insulted by our refusal to go.
Our long morning game drive continued with Fredrick receiving phone calls. We asked if these were his colleagues and had they spotted anything interesting he replied 'no'. After this we saw very few animals mainly birds. On the whole Fredrick seemed very distracted and disinterested. This was by far becoming a totally different safari than any of our previous experiences. Our next problem was a flat tyre. Fredrick refused to ring the camp with regards to this as it turned out his vehicle was supposed to be equipped with a jack and wheel brace neither of which he had. Through fear of getting in trouble we had to sit and wait until a fellow driver arrived with the correct equipment. Some time later, a passing governors vehicle stopped and gave us a lift back to camp. On the way we stopped numerous times with this guide telling us about many animals large and small along the way the difference in Fredrick and this guide was phenomenal !!

Game drive 3. We gave this drive a miss as the morning had been so unproductive and disappointing with a more than tense atmosphere between us and Fredrick.

Day3 again we booked a packed breakfast so that we could hopefully put the previous day disappointment behind us and enjoy our last day.
Before we set off, both us noticed a really strong smell of petrol wafting into the vehicle Sherman made a point of asking Fredrick if everything was ok with the vehicle and that it smelt like a bad leak. Fredrick denied it was a leak at set off regardless. After a while the smell was so overwhelming that Sherman said he should check the vehicle again. Fredrick jumped out looked under the bonnet and returned saying he it needed water we all new at this point this was not a water issue. Nonetheless we continued driving to more or less a short distance from the park entrance where there was a Masai village not far from the national park entrance. We parked outside a Masai shop where Fredrick greeted the shop women warmly. He then suggested we do a little souvenir shopping whilst he and two other men with knives attempted to fix the vehicle. I personally felt under pressure to buy things from the shop and the very pushy and persuasive shop lady! Most uncomfortable situation. My fourteen year old daughter whispered that the men with knives were quite scary and started to get upset. Sherman took a look in the vehicle and as he had said this was a petrol leak that in no way needed water, a shopping trip or a visit to the village behind. He after some persuasion and insisting got Fredrick to ring someone to come and help. Strangely, rather than stay put until they arrived he then insisted in driving across an empty field in a diagonal direction. Then he parked up and waited until he could see the ' rescue' vehicle heading our way then he started the engine and drove toward it. One can only assume he didn't want to be found at the shop and village. Incidentally, we do have photos of the shop and one of the men complete with knife in hand.
We swapped vehicles and drove off far from anywhere we had been before. Fredrick barley said a word no animals just plains of nothing, we plotted up in a lush green area after driving through a couple of rocky streams there were no other safari vehicles around for miles. We stopped ate a very late breakfast and returned. This was a most unpleasant and at times unnerving morning. To be totally honest I think that throughout the previous 48 hours Fredrick seemed almost drugged or inebriated. His eyes were always bloodshot and eyelids low. Although there were no obvious alcohol fumes he most definitely seemed under the influence of something. On both days I noticed some strange twigs sticking out of his pocket. This certainly would explain his lethargy and lack of interaction. I have worked over the years with drug and alcohol dependent people and recognise the signs.

When we returned to camp Sherman spoke with George the camp manager about our disappointing trip and the disasters involved. We were told later that Fredrick had been dismissed and George had made a point of telling me personally that he had more or less been forced to hire Fredrick as he was the park rangers brother. Also that Fredrick had been immediately dismissed as he was already on a warning after a previous problem.
All in all the this expensive safari was an entire disaster, with little compensation.
We feel very let down as we afforded JT safaris our repeat business on three occasions, twice at Little Governors in addition the mere wiping of a bar bill cannot be expected to cover the hard earnings that paid for this expensive disappointment

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank ShermanWebb
Musiara, Manager at Little Governors' Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Thank you for your comments on your safari which you took in December 2012. We understand that you have been communicating with JT safaris over this matter. We have sent your comments to management for review as we take comments like these extremely seriously.