“Couldn't Have Been Better”

andBeyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Couldn't Have Been Better”
Reviewed 3 December 2010

KT was really great. The staff reflects other &Beyond properties, doting on you to make sure you’re comfortable and giving excellent service in all ways. I had a luxury tent, which costs about $100/person/night extra, but it was worth it to me to have electricity for charging my electronic gear without having to walk to the camp's charging station. (I toured the standard tents and would have no problem staying in one---they looked very good to me.) The tent was well-furnished, again typical of the great way &Beyond furnishes some other of their lodges. And finding a hot water bottle in bed when returning from dinner was a nice touch. The reception area at KT was really classy looking and comfortable with an area set aside for gift shopping. My tent was #39 and required a bit of a walk but the walk was good for some exercise. From my tent I faced right out to a fence, which no doubt would drive the purists crazy. But beyond the fence were zebra, buffalo, giraffe. For first-time visitors to Africa, the fence might actually feel comforting. The luxury tents are also situated in a fairly dense forest area, and I thought that was actually pretty cool. The food was very good as well, on par with the other camps I stayed at in the Mara.

Game-viewing was very good while I was there. My guide was outstanding in explaining and identifying the animals I saw. Most important to me, the guide did his absolute best to try to satisfy my requests to see particular animals.

Overall, I couldn't see how KT could have done a better job.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2010

This resort was chosen for us by J T Safaris based in Niali Beach and he could not have done better. We had wanted to stay in tents, which we did, and what tents they were. The bed was massive and although not that cold at night we had hot water bottles put in our bed each evening and in the morning,no matter what time you had to get up, sometimes 4.30am, there was your personal attendant bringing you tea, coffe or chocolate and biscuits, which was something you needed before going off on your game drive.
Food was very good, staff lovely and helpful. Whilst eating you were surrounded by Wort Hogs just roaming free, might seem scary but wasnot at all. Bar was not expensive as you might think as you are a "captive audience". Our driver was extremely helpful, asking us what we would like to see and do during our 3 days, and ws very knowledgable and managed to find "the big five", even finding a leopard which apparently is extremely rare. All in all a great place to stay and highly recommended.

Chris & Vic

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank chrisvic0
Canada
Reviewed 25 October 2010

I had a wonderful, although too short, stay at the Kichwa Tembo Masai Mara Tented Camp! But I am glad I opted to go, even if I could only go for one night. Everything, from the camp grounds, luxurious tent, warm and friendly staff, delicious food, and breathtaking views... created an amazing safari experience!

The only downfall I can think of was my driver. Unfortunately, he did not provide much insight and information (about the Masai Mara, its residents, historical facts, etc.) during the two game drives I had with him. His contributions were pretty much limited to things like: "Look over there - an elephant!". This was somewhat disappointing. Hence, for the benefit of future guests, I would suggest you try to avoid a driver named Jackson.

Nonetheless, I now have wonderful memories that will last a lifetime. The Masai Mara Reserve and the Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp are truly magical places!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Whitby, North Yorkshire
Reviewed 24 October 2010

We booked to go to Kichwa Tembo through J T Safaris and he organised everything to perfection. The camp is in a forest and the Masai Mara is but a few minutes away. The tent was really cosy and comfortable, especially when Juliet our housekeeper put the water bottles in on a night. As it was our honeymoon, she even put petals all over our bed with a little note to welcome us - lovely touch.

The food was excellent and Michael, our dedicated butler/waiter also came up trumps with petals on the table and a cake.

The grounds were lovely with the resident warthogs wandering around. Unfortunately, we could not take advantage of the infinity pool over looking the Masai Mara as time did not permit but it looked great.

Finally, the safari with out lovely ranger Douglas was exceptional. We saw 4 of the big 5 but did not find the leopard, although Douglas tried his hardest to oblige. He gave us the choice of when we went out and we chose to go on an all day Safari with a lunch time picnic which was brilliant.

Just to summarise, I would not hesitate to have another stay at Kichwa Tembo organised by Julius at JT Safaris and would highly recommend them both.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Mt Martha, Australia
Reviewed 18 October 2010

We arrived at Kichwa Tembo after a 7 hour drive from the Serengeti. It was pelting rain and dark clouds. We were greeted in reception by Esther who was friendly and welcoming person. We were shown to our tent by Joseph along a paved path through leafy grounds. Joseph carried our luggage and we were more than happy with our lodgings. The permanent tent was spacious and dry. We had a king size bed and a private bathroom. It was warm and dry and we felt very relaxed after our drive in the storm.

We had 4 days @ Kichwa Tembo and made the most of our time game driving and relaxing. The camp is in an area very close to the wildlife. From the pool area the view spans a plain where you can view giraffes, zebras, and gazelles grazing. There are resident wart hogs and small gazelles within the grounds. The restaurant and hospitality staff are very good. The staff are attentive and efficient. Our assigned waiter, Edward was able to quickly able to anticipate our needs before we had to ask.

Each morning we were woken at our requested time by Joseph with a cheery "Jambo" and hot tea served to our tent with biscuits.

We experienced the Masai Warrior dance evening which was wonderful to watch.

We had the pleasure of meeting, Stanley, the manager. In particular, Stanley was extremely professional and made our stay all the more enjoyable. Stanley was always available for our inquiries and he answered all our questions without hesitation. We believe that behind the scenes Stanley helped us with a problem we were experiencing with another part of our tour. We found Stanley to be an exceptional person to deal with in a sometimes difficult situation.

Another area that I experienced was with, Chef George. I requested to work in the kitchen and I was given the experience of baking bread with the staff and given a behind the scenes tour of the vegetable garden (guarded by Masai to ward off the local wildlife) the staff quarters. It was a wonderful experience for a person who appreciates cooking and gardening.

We were treated to a game drive with the wonderfully experienced "And Beyond" driver, he was a fountain of knowledge and had a keen eye for wildlife. It was a wonderful experience.

All in all we absolutely recommend every aspect of Kichwa Tembo and so fondly remember each of the staff members who made our stay so memorable.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Royal Oak, MI
Reviewed 13 October 2010

We really enjoyed our stay at Kichwa. The accommodations were very well appointed and the service was exceptional. Having lunch with a view of the Mara cannot be beat. The view from the pool is incredible and we loved the resident warthogs. One slept outside our tent and we could hear it snoring at night. We also saw baboons, zebras and impala from our tent porch.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
deebo22
Reviewed 23 September 2010

Loved it!!! We booked through JT Safaris and Julius took care of everything making it stress free and very enjoyable. The camp was beautiful with a view over the mara that was breathtaking. Plenty of warthogs and monkeys are at home in the camp. The warthogs were very entertaining! We were met at the airstrip by Jackson who was then our guide for the duration of our stay - 2nts/3days. He definitely knew the Mara well. We saw all of the big 5 and the wildebeest migration plus countless other creatures. We had an early start one day so had picnic breakfast on the Mara packed for us by Kichwa Tembo - a full, and delicious meal, certainly not the kind of picnics I pack! The food at the camp was also very good. We had the same waiter throughout the stay who took very good care of us and was very friendly. Lunch was served outside in order to look over the reserve, spectacular! The pool is very refreshing and has comfy lounge chairs. The tents were great - full ensuite bathroom with hot water, comfortable beds and a patio. I definitely didn't feel like I was in a tent! The night noises were perfect to lull you to sleep. Kichwa Tembo is a must! Definitely book through JT Safaris to make it all the more easy and relaxing.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple