“A Great Place to Stay for Safari”
Review of Porini Lion Camp

Porini Lion Camp
Nairobi, Kenya
“A Great Place to Stay for Safari”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I was VERY impressed with Porini Lion Camp. The rooms, service, food, comfort, ambiance were all perfect for a Kenyan safari. We saw everything: leopards, lion families, cheatahs, elephants, giraffe, wildebeasts, crocodiles, zebras, etc. etc. Witnessed a river crossing. Being just outside of the Mara Park, has its advantages. I will recommend this camp to anyone who wants to go on safari in Kenya. I'm making plans for my brother and his family to go in a few months. You won't be dissappointed!

Room Tip: They were all good.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Thomas K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed at Lion Porini Camp for four days in October 2013, and had a truly great time. From beginning to end, everything runs smoothly. We were picked up at the airport, and on the way to he camp were already seeing all kinds of animals. The initial greeting and briefing upon arrival was insightful. The room was lovely, better than most luxury hotels i have stayed at, and everything functioned seamlessly despite the challenges of the area (they use solar panels for electricity, have very well concealed water deposits for the bathrooms, etc.). Of course you'll hear different kinds of animals through the night (hippos the most noticeable), but what do you expect, you're in a safari... The activities were varied and all entertaining and special. My girlfriend and i had a vehicle (a bit old) to ourselves, as well as a driver and a spotter. The food at the camp was fantastic. It would be great if the camp could provide a cool place to spend that lost hour or two between the morning drive and lunch, when its very hot pretty much anywhere in the camp. Otherwise, perfect in all aspects

Room Tip: You need to flash a light or call staff at night to be able to wander the camp at night (safety reas...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at Porini Lion Camp at the end of Oct '13 at the end of a month-long trip around East Africa (Kenya, Tanzania & Zanzibar) and it was the absolute highlight of our trip. The whole booking process (via Julie) was very smooth and straightforward and from start to finish it was well organised and we were very well looked after right through from pick up at our hotel, to being dropped back there at the end of our trip. We flew there in a light plane and were met by the very cheerful and traditionally dressed Masaai guides William & Stanley, who remained with us as our guides for the entire 4 days that we were there. The location of the camp is superb, the tents luxurious (complete with flushing toilet and bucket showers that a Masaai will hand deliver hot water to!) and every member of staff was welcoming, friendly and wanting to make your stay the best one possible. (If we were getting up at dawn for a game drive, our wake up call was a Masaai delivering coffee & tea and hot water to wash our faces in, with a cheery 'Jambo' at the door of our tent). When it was someone's birthday, the entire staff delivered a cake with the most superb Masaai singing and traditional dancing to go with it! But it was the game drives that really made this trip. William & Stanley worked hard to ensure that we saw as much as possible and were exceptionally good at knowing where to find it. We saw many different prides of lions (each of which they knew well and could explain the relationships of the lions within it); leopards (very hard to find, but we saw more than one); cheetahs; elephants; giraffe; hyenas; wildebeest; many types of antelope; vultures - you name it, we saw it on EVERY game drive too. But what was the most awesome part about it was just how close we got. There weren't too many cars competing to get near the action and all were respectful at giving each car a turn at getting close enough to see things. At times, we were also the first ones there and so had plenty of time to view things from just feet away. One time, we were so close to a male and female lion that we could have reached out and touched them (not that you would dare!) But it enabled us to really see their body language, hear the sounds they'd make to each other and really get a better understanding of how they behave in the wild. It was incredible. William & Stanley also took the trouble to find the most scenic spots for anywhere we might stop and have breakfast, lunch or a G&T sundowner. For example, we had breakfast, following a dawn game drive, overlooking a river full of hippos. Or a sundowner on a hill overlooking all the animals on the plain, as we watched the sun set. It was truly awesome. They were also very informative about what we were seeing, so we learnt a lot.
Back at camp we were also right in the middle of it all. We could observe the families of baboons just metres away, or zebra and wildebeest at a waterhole not too far away. By night, hippos would graze grass literally just feet from our tent and you could hear the zebras and hyenas calling out in the night. It has given us such a great taste of this extraordinary landscape, filled with its wondrous array of wildlife that we now definitely want to go back. If not to this camp, then possibly one of their other locations, which we have also heard great things about.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Viv M
Greeneville, Tennessee
Reviewed 18 December 2013

As my husband said, "this is not the camping that I remember doing!" Luxury tents with attention to detail, wonderful service, delicious food, and game rides with excellent Maasai guides that created memories for a lifetime. We never dreamed that we would see all the animals that we did - up close and personal. If you want a trip of a lifetime, Porini Camps is the way to go.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JGH793
Mashhad, Iran
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I live in Kenya and my brother visited me from the US and this was his first time in Africa. I made a two week plan of extreme adventure travelling from Western Kenya to Uganda and Coast of Mombasa with a short stop in Masai Mara. Having done 5 safari trips over the last 10 years, it was becoming tougher and tougher to find a place where I knew he would have the same amazing experiences I have had, but only in a much shorter space of time - 3 days. As I was researching, two of my friends, recommended Porini Lion Camp and they told me that he is going to be spoit for his first safari experience. And they were spot on. Porini Lion Camp is now my second most favourite safari place. Not only because of it's beautiful location and the amazing animals, but also the level of professionalism of the staff and their hospitality.

We had a tough time getting to the camp due to some logistical problem - bad driver - and it took us over 15 hours to get to the camp from Mbale in Uganda. I lieu of our problems, the camp arranged for the Masai guide to come to pick us up at the Olerai Junction which is a good couple of hours drive from the camp. Although the guide was unable to reach us, he contacted his friend who had a matatu and came to pick us up and took us to the nearest town (Talek) to meet our guide. I thought that was genius and we couldn't have thanked our guides enough.

This was just the beginning. As we missed our first day of activities due to being late, the guide took us on a longer route back to the camp, so we could see animals and catch the sunset. I thought that was very considerate of them. My brother couldn't have been happier, and I was thrilled to see it all worked out at the end.

The camp is beautiful, the tents are very well managed and the tranquility of the place is indescribable. To sleep in large canvas tents, where you can undo the window zips and listen to the wildlife all around you, and gaze at the stars, is probably the best and tricky way to sleep - tricky, because you can't possibly want to sleep with everything happening around you! We heard buffalo, hippo, elephant and lions roaring in the distant, not to forget the bush babies playing around the tent.

The Masai guides are superb - they are patient, kind, tolerant with me as a keen photographer, intelligent and definitely have a sixth sense when it comes to the animals. We also visited a Masai Village, which I highly recommend. It was very well organised and we were welcomed with literally open arms and jumping young Masai men to take us into their village. Masai are very proud of their herritage, so they answer all questions and spend as much time as you need with you.

The management was also incredible from the booking team to on land management, you guys made our trip super special. The overall experience was well above my expectation. Thanks to every body in Porini Lion Camp. I will be back and my brother will come back with his family. We can't wait to bring our parents here.

Room Tip: Room are very well spaced from each other. We stayed in room 1, because on the first night we were t...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 12 December 2013

What an absolutely wonderful experience. From our first enquiries, to making bookings, to adding trips Gamewatchers (Julie...yey!) were outstanding. The transfers, hotels, and ease of travel were made possible by the incredible local knowledge and great communication skills.

And then there are those Porini camps. For a person returning to Kenya my country of birth, after twenty years, and having "been on safari" several times, this safari was magical. The accommodations and food were excellent, but it was the service, the warmth, the sense of humour that stood out for us. As well the drivers/spotters/guides were so patient, professional and knowledgable. We stayed at the Porini Mara and Porini Lion Camps, both fantastic and, from what fellow guests said, it seems all are as good.

We will be back!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JER144
Kristiansand, Norway
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I stayed one week in the lovly Porini Camp, I loved the place and all the Mammals.
As a birdwatcher i found 148 during my stay, this includes around the camp and during
the driving in the area.
We probably did not see all, another week would have given more bird-species
Thanks to all the wonderfull people in the camp and to our birdguide Jareld and the driver Ketere for safe driving.
I would love to come back some day. Thanks

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends