My husband and I stayed at the Lion camp for the first three days of our honeymoon. I have done safari before in Tanzania, Botswana and Kenya where my other half had not done anything like it and needless to say he was very excited!!!
From the moment we landed in our little plan on a dirt strip in the middle of nowhere I knew that thsi would be nothing like I had done before. We were met by our guide and driver in an amazing 4x4 vehicle perfect for gameviewing and very comfortable too. Then it was about an hour and half game drive just en route to the camp where we saw tons of animals!
The camp is beautiful and truly inspirational. I love the concept they have and the fact that they are trying to make a difference to the local community and giving something back. If you can be prepared to 'rough it' a little bit with the bucket showers the tents are surprisingly comfortable and great fun in a massive rainstorm!
The food was delicious and varied the only downside being that we felt compelled to make small talk with people sat at a group table with us when , as honeymooners, we just wanted to enjoy a meal alone.
The staff were fantastic particularly our guide who was very knowledgable and approachable and had as many questions to ask of us as we did of him. The animals we saw were beyond anything we could hope for and the benefit of being in the conservancy meant that for most of the days we were the only vehicle around too.
Overall a fantastic place and much recommended for a few nights amazing and relaxation
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Porini Lion Camp is located in the exclusive 20,000 acre Olare Orok Conservancy bordering the Maasai Mara Game Reserve, home to an abundance of animals. With 10 spacious comfortably furnished tents, each with private verandahs and en-suite bathrooms, the camp is small and exclusive giving a real bush experience. Guests enjoy the game drives in open 4x4's, escorted bush walks with Maasai warriors and sundowners. The Camp is the perfect base to experience the annual wildebeest migration. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jovago.com so you can book your Porini Lion Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porini Lion Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Porini Lion Camp Kenya/Masai Mara National Reserve