“Good business hotel”

Lotus Hotel
Lotus Hotel
Ranked #47 of 60 Hotels in Mombasa
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Not bad at Ksh. 4,000 a night for a single room. It's located near Fort Jesus, and each room has an a/c unit. The staff members were very friendly and helpful, but their poached eggs was poor! Their breakfast was actually quite limited, but sufficed for the day. They close the front doors at some point in the night, but the askaris outside are fine with opening for stragglers. The wi-fi didn't work, and the TV channels are a little limited, but seeing as you're not in the hotel for long periods apart from sleeping, it was quite fine.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 14 December 2013

I have recently returned from a three week business trip to Mombasa . While I worked in Likoni , I wanted to stay on Mombasa island and chose The Lotus Hotel , primarily based on Tripadvisor recommendations .
I was delighted with my choice . The hotel was very centrally located in the Financial district but , being down a side street was very quite . It is kept very clean with very comprehensive housekeeping on a daily basis . Timewise , the hosekeeping was very flexible , which suited me perfectly as sometimes I worked in the hotel room in the morning and sometimes in the afternoon . The air conditioning worked well all the time - essential as it was very warm and humid the entire time I was there . They provide a decent breakfast with fruit/porridge/juices/cereals/ bacon/egg/sausage etc being available .
I ate there on a regular basis in the evening and found the food very acceptable and reasonably priced .
As a long stay guest , probably the most important aspect was the friendliness of all the staff . Within a few days I was on first name terms with staff in all sections of the hotel - reception, restaurant, bar and housekeeping .
TV reception/choice was not great and WiFi was not always reliable or fast but these appear to be common problems in Mombasa .
It is located close to Fort Jesus and Old Town . Tuktuks are readily available on the main street about 75 yds away and matatus are about 300/400 yds away.
I would have no doubt where I would stay if I returned to Mombasa island .

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 September 2013

After my disappointing stay at the Royal Court Hotel I was very glad to find this place. Much cheaper, staff are friendly. The food is good and the rooms are clean and comfortable. Free wifi is also a good touch. I had a problem with the shower when I arrived but I told the receptionist and it was fixed immediately. Well run hotel in a nice quiet street but a very short walk to banks, restaurants and supermarkets. I'll stay here again for sure.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Lotus is an old Mombasa landmark and remains a solid bet. Good value, well built, the AC and hot water always work. The staff are friendly and efficient. It's in a remarkably quiet corner considering the proximity to the city centre, making it perfect for a business trip as everything's on the doorstep. They don't have indoor parking but there's an askari present 24 hrs.

I would have given an Excellent rating but the wi-fi is slow and the menu is unimaginative up-country food, with no concessions to the climate and ingredients available at the coast. So expect carbs and meat, rather than salads and seafood. But there are plenty of Swahili food options nearby in the old town if you'd prefer. Also the bathrooms are getting a bit tired with weak showers, and would benefit from an overhaul.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 March 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in mid-Feb 2013. We found it to be good value, and a great location for seeing Fort Jesus, Old Town, plus several banking errands that we had to run as well. So easy to get around by tuk-tuk. The air conditioning worked very well, and the bed was comfortable. We recommend this mid-range hotel for a short stopover in the city of Mombassa. The staff was helpful.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2013

my family and i stayed at the Lotus Hotel in Mombasa town for 8 nights in December 2012. The staff were friendly and all the rooms had air conditioning but the state of their bathrooms was not up to date. the bathtubs were rusty and their towels were not very clean. would like to suggest that they use shower gel for their visitors since the water in Mombasa is salty and the soap bars they give is ineffective since it does not foam. Their breakfast was superb and we ate as much of it as we could. Whenever we voiced our concerns the staff were ready to assist and they were very friendly with the children. I would recommend my friends and family but would ask the to carry their own towels and shower gel.

Room Tip: carry your own shower gel, double rooms are large and spacious, carry your laptop they provide free...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank going2kenya
Reviewed 30 December 2012

My friend and I arrived at this hotel in the morning, from the night train to Mombasa from Nairobi.
It wasn't easy to find, but once found it was easy to access all the other areas of Mombasa.
When we checked in, the receptionist let us stay in the room straight away, which was lovely, however, it was only a double bed. Because there was no option to stipulate 2 beds in the room, we had to move to a twin room, that had no air conditioning (as it was broken).
Now, remember, Mombasa is very hot in October, and very humid... So air con was sort of required. The staff were very apologetic, but the mechanic couldn't get the air-con unit fixedas they were still waiting for a part from Nairobi. Thankfully, we got given a fan which was a godsend. That night it was sooooo hot, so we had to open the door and the window for a breeze to flow through, with the fan creaking and cracking as it rotated and us two sweltering under the mosquito nets. It did make us laugh!
The hotel has a nice little patio area at the front of the hotel which is nice to sit and have a few drinks, and the breakfast was adequate (and included in the room price!!).
The best asset of this hotel is the staff who work there, they were so friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends