Backpacker's Nirvana
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$85
US$292
US$251
Hotels.com
US$140
US$92
CityBlue Creekside Hotel & Suites(Mombasa)(Great Value!)
US$55
US$225
getaroom.com
US$78
Cancelon
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We initially only meant to stay here a week but ended up staying 2! This place was fantastic and all thanks to Lesley and her staff. Lesley or someone was always around to help (from recommending guesthouses in other cities to how much a taxi should cost) or even just to have a yarn, and as a result we felt like we'd found a home in Mombasa. The location is great, being 5mins walk from the beach and close to public transport. I cannot say enough good things about this place and if we do get a chance to come back to Mombasa, we will definitely be paying these guys a visit.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Lesley_kenyabeds, Owner at Backpacker's Nirvana, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

Hi my darlings, thank you so much for the review :)
We have finally moved & getting used to the new house...such a shame you both weren't there/here but I hope you get to come and check the expanded-us sometime again...
I hope you love the rest of your journey, thank you for your presence & many interesting conversations!!
Big hugs oxo

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Stayed here for a weekend in late jan/early feb. Absolutely loved it. Great location, with easy access to places with an awesome Tuk Tuk driver just a phone call away. Beach just around the corner and the nyali international hotel around the corner in which for a small price you are able to dine and swim in their lovely pools. Staff were all very welcoming particularly Leslie the owner. My opinion is you get more than what you pay for and if you enjoy getting to know others from all around the world and love that family feel, I highly recommend staying at nirvana :)

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 10 January 2014

First, this review is strictly based on our one night of experience at the so-called "private cottage." I have a feeling that the experience would have been different if we had stayed in the main compound.

My husband and I paid close to $70 USD for a room for one night. It's an external compound that's outside the main building that they called private cottage - sounded cute enough. The compound itself consists of a double bed, a private bathroom, private bath, and a kitchen, all the latter three are along the hallway outside the bedroom.

To start with the bedroom, the paint is chipping on all the walls. When our backpacks leaned against the walls, they ended up getting paint dusts all over. There are large parts of exposed area where the paint is completely gone. I would not allow children inside that room.... Our bed had only two sad pillows and no blanket, not even a cover sheet. The toilet has no seat cover. So we pretty much had to squat our way through. Then the shower, there's heavy rust all along the pipe leading to the shower head. We avoided taking a shower after deeming the source of water potentially unsafe.

If we had paid much less, I wouldn't feel the need to say anything. But for close to $70/night, it was a poor value. There's the Nyali international beach hotel which is rated four star. That costs $160/night and you get a lot more amenities and access to their two pools, and the beach.

Sadly, this was probably one of my worst hostel experience...

• Stayed: January 2014
3  Thank KiViognier
Lesley_kenyabeds, Owner at Backpacker's Nirvana, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Hi, thank you for your review.

Whilst I have greatly considered your comments, please allow me to comment on the points you've raised.

The water running through my house is clean salt water - it is NEVER unsafe. My guests, staff and I cook with this water.

A beach villa house will always be susceptible to exterior issues due to the ocean salt and wind. However, I do understand your point. However, salt damage is not the same as dirt.

As far as blankets, I am surprised it was necessary during our peak summer heat and usually these are only requested during rainy seasons. As for cover sheets, they are given on request.

You stayed during high season of the cost of $70, with all the access to the facilities of the 4* neighboring hotel and whilst I do genuinely regret that this experience felt disappointing, it was an option to express your concerns, questions and dispirit to my staff in order to come to a better Content.

I am very sorry you didn't feel you could complain or address these issues with us at the time.

My only wish for my guests is that they feel free and comfortable, or at least require it rather than not informing me of anything, as we rely heavily on a friendly run family hostel ethic.

I wish you all the best,
Kindest Regards

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I discovered the place through a friend and really liked that family feel they have, its like being with friends and they proximity to the beach is really nice.... It is definitely a great gem with good hospitality for an avid back packer...

Room Tip: Charity will be of great advice
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jack G
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I think it is a great place no matter what you want. You can hang around with other travellers or lay on the beach. Talk to the staff (especially the amazing owner Lesley) and they can tell you all about the surrounding area for trips or tips of any kind. Very, very kind people. Great casual atmosphere.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends