“A meal fit for the king”

Lido Sea Food Grill
Ranked #36 of 140 Restaurants in Mombasa
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We had dinner at Lido last month, and the only way to describe it is "The best meal I have had in my life" & "Service for royalty" The chef made excellent dishes, while the two waiters who served us, Phillip & Kennedy treated us with out-of-the-world hospitality.

Our heavenly meal started with salads: the shrimps cocktail & the calamari fritters. Next came the "shot" to cleanse our palate and stimulate our appetite. This shot was mint & cucumber. Third was the dips which were tamarind: sweet dip, chillies oil: hot dip & the savory dip, which was peanuts & coriander. Not to forget the bread of the day and the sundried tomatoes & herbed butter.

Then there was the ampuse bounche which was the smoked salmon, cherry tomato & gherkins. The main courses were flavorful seafood platter: lobster, prawns, crab, calamari & kingfish. My friend & the spring chicken.

And of course the dessert! A lovely, crispy fruit platter of apples & sweet melon & vanilla ice cream.

Lido also had a fine selection of wines & Kennedy recommended just the right one for us: Nederburg Cuvée brut, & so we wined & dined like true royalty.

Lido gave me the best dining experience in my life, we were totally spoiled for real. The price could be a bit on the higher side, but worth every penny!

Please do not forget to order a wine of your taste, the waiters are very knowledgeable and will recommend the right one to compliment your meal selection.

I definitely recommend this little gem right by the ocean. It will not fail you. I have had first class experience!

There are newer reviews for Lido Sea Food Grill

Reviewed 10 February 2014

We dined here twice for evening meals. Over the two meals my partner and i tried different dishes and was delighted with all of them. The setting is perfect as its right on top of the beach. All the staff at the lido sea food grill were very friendly and efficient, particularly Eunice, Humphrey and Phillip. Our second meal was made extra special by having a duo playing live music plus we had Phillip as our waitor who was truly exceptional with his enthusiasm, passion and general quality of service.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

I had lunch at Lido every day during my stay & i loved it. The food was always lovely accompanied by great service from Phillip. The outdoor setting is beautiful & the view was lovely. I'll definitely be back for more during my next visit

Reviewed 14 November 2013

I live 10 minutes away from Whitesands and have eaten at the Buffet restaurant on several occasions. i have read the reviews for the Lido sea Food Grill and as my partner and I had a special occasion to celebrate I decided to try it. The place I ate at bears no resemblance to the reviews on here.
On the good side I will agree that the setting is very good and the service provided by Phillip (the waiter) was excellent.
The down side was the quality of the meal and the price we were charged for it.
My partner ordered French Onion Soup which we had to return as it had more salt in than Onions - it was changed and the replacement one was slightly better. What is it with kenyan Chefs and salt - do they realise that if they put too little salt in you can add more - once they have put too much the dish becomes inedible as you can't take it out.
My starter a crab 'Timbale' was average and not worth the 1000ksh cost (with Taxes).
We ordered Seafood Platter each as a main course and at over 4000ksh each (with Taxes) was basically extortionate vis a vis the quality.
The Lobster was miniscule and overcooked - the Crabs Claws were overcooked - the Kingfish Steak was overcooked, dried up and very small. The King Prawns were fine.
I have eaten Seafood Platter at many Restaurants on the coast and this was by fat the worst in terms of value and quality. Maybe the Food and Beverage Manager should look at Tamarind or Monsoons - their quality and value put Whitesands to shame.
The desserts were not a lot better - over 1000ksh (with Taxes) for something very average.
Anybody who complains about Tamarind prices should go here - they would never complain again.
I feel that alot of the previous reviews were written by guests at the hotel who had not eaten at outside Restaurants and had something to compare with.
Overall the quality of the meal was very poor and was exceptionally poor value for money and t was the sort I would expect from a small local Cafe a fifth of the price.

1  Thank westwoodboy
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We had lunch at the outdoor restaurant while staying at the hotel. Most of the food was bland at best. But the icing on the cake was mouldy cheese on a sandwich. The chef pretended to not understand the issue, arguing that the mozarella was perfect and should be smelling like it did (obviously he never went to Italy or a dairy for that matter).
Not a good experience and completly overprice/under-qualitied.