“Ok for a budget option”

Ranked #11 of 58 Hotels in Mombasa
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Ok for a budget option”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

"First of all I'd like to state that this is only the second AI hotel I've stayed in so I don't have a lot to compare too, and the first was absolutely amazing.
Rooms - the room was fine, fairly basic but clean and well kept. The air con wasn't working when we arrived but was fixed same day - they did something to it again 2 days later which broke it again, but fixed same day again. My only real issue was the shower. This was solar powered and there was a notice saying the best chance of hot water was the middle of the day; however, this is generally not convenient if you are out for day or in the sea lots etc. In the 2 weeks we were there I only had one warm shower, every other time it was freezing. Also, we had to pay extra to use the safe which I thought was rather cheeky as obviously you are going to need this for passports etc.
Facilities - everywhere was nice and clean and tidy. The pool was big and rarely busy. However, it was one of those places where you need to get up really early and put a towel out to get a sunbed (despite signs stating to the contrary). There was also a distinct lack of shade. None of the sunbeds offered shade all day and there were no other places really to sit and get out of the sun unless you went inside. A general word of advice we would give is to go to a hotel with a private beach - on the public beach (such as here) you are constantly hassled by the beach boys trying to sell goods and excursions which means it isn't much fun to be on the beach which is a shame when it is so lovely and warm.
Food - I was pleasantly suprised by the food. I wasn't expecting much from the whole buffet style idea (never having done this before) but the evening food was plentiful and of good quality. I was particularly happy with the vegetarian selection, there being protein sources like lentils and beans every night rather than just veg. The breakfasts were also lovely, with pancakes and omlettes made to order. Lunch I wasn't so sure about as it was largely the same as dinner and could have got a bit repetitive but we didn't have lunch there very often.
AI - this is where I felt the hotel really let itself down. You were given 2 bottles of water in your room per day, plus a refilled jug. If you wanted any more than this you had to pay. I didn't think that was a lot to keep you going from dinner time to breakfast considering the heat. With bar drinks the sizes for soft drinks and water were really small, you only got a few mouthfuls out of each one. Again, when it is so hot I think they should be more generous with the water. If you weren't AI and were paying for drinks you got much bigger ones. In terms of alcoholic drinks again it wasn't really 'all' inclusive. There were only a handful of cocktails included (none nice), but plenty you could pay for - and this wasn't due to it being international brand spirits. I tried vodka and mixer but due to the small glass size I found it too strong to drink. So, all-in-all I thought it would be more accurately described as 'mostly inclusive' than 'all inclusive'"

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vikingvampireparrot

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Nairobi
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Clamsy, suffocating and unspacious rooms, very old and underrated, spent 5 days with my hubby but what was supposed to be relaxing and spectacular hours of a cooler holiday, soothing surroundings was undergiven due to conditions of rooms which don't give liberated couples best of their times, however the rest can be taken care of in a better way!
As for me its not best place for most lovers like us,

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank FridahM
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

I'd like to call myself a perpetual traveler. Mostly for business, staying in the world's high end hotels. Bamburi beach hotel was my first time in your typical 'pack the (foreign) tourists in one place on an all inclusive package and entertain them' place - I think this would work out very fine if you are one of 'them'. I can't understand why tourists, mostly German, travel 10.000 km and listen to their own music in their own language and order their food in their own language - maybe I am not cut out to be one of them.

The hotel is quite old, I guess. The room we (mrs and I) had definitely needed some upgrades. The room had two standard beds, though advertised as queen size, and were of different heights to make it really uncomfortable to us. The seaview room turned out to be a room, with balcony looking out towards the sea... was it not for the many trees and another building blocking that view. Due to the wind I hwve managed to catch a glimpse of the sea twice.
Key words to the management: upgrade, minibar and flatscreen.

The hotel staff was brilliant. Every single request was followed up almost instantaneous and the staff really made up for the lacking of room quality. The staff spoke German, English and obviously Swahili.

The location of the hotel is right on the beach; a small beachclub as their neighbours made a good alternative for lunch and diner options. Also to escape the everlasting German music.

In general the hotel is alright, except for the room, and will certainly be a very nice holiday destination if you consider yourself the type of tourist, who pays to get entertained. The daily animation program was entertaining and offered lots of activities for adults and children.
I felt very uncomfortable with this type of hotel and can say that it didn't do it for me - maybe I just ain't a good tourist.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Jerry M
Tanzania
Reviewed 21 November 2013

The air conditioning in our room was set to 36 degrees and recycled air making my partner (not gay) snore profusely. There was no remote for the air conditioner. It was like we were being punished. The food was horrible. How can you get breakfast so wrong? Guests were not allowed to come even into the bar with us, let alone come to the rooms for a quickie. We are in Mombasa ffs. Worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Laughable.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Nyerere
shrewsbury
Reviewed 18 November 2013

this hotel cannot be faulted for service, both in room service, food and cleanliness. have been several times and will be going back again next year. people say hassled by beach boys - just say no. the hotel deputy manage Hassan cannot do enough beautiful guy and very approachable. go please and support local economy.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank simbaShrewsbury
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I have just returned from my 3rd visit to Bamburi Beach hotel,having stayed with both alone and with a teenager.The hotel staff are always friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and the food is varied , something to suit everyone however fussy your children may be. Everyone is always eager to please.Whilst staying on this visit i went on 3 day safari toTsavo East, West and Amboseli, on my previous visits visiting Masai Mara and Nakuru and many day trips to places such as Malindi and ukunda.On all ocassions I booked my trips through Pro Tours and safaris located in the portacabin at the of the main entrance to Bamburi Beach hotel. They provide all the same exursions as your tour rep at a fraction of the price., and a much more personal service. To book your trips/ safaris contact Gordon on +254729318009.you can not miss him he has the longest rasta you have ever seen!! He is100% reliable and honest, you will not be disappointed. Please use these local people , they depend on the tourists for their survival. All in all a lovely holiday with lovely people.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Victoria S
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We were there in the off-season, so got upgraded to a beautiful room with a balcony overlooking the ocean. The room was luxurious, the service was fabulous, the food was outstanding. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an ocean view.