"First of all I'd like to state that this is only the second AI hotel I've stayed in so I don't have a lot to compare too, and the first was absolutely amazing.
Rooms - the room was fine, fairly basic but clean and well kept. The air con wasn't working when we arrived but was fixed same day - they did something to it again 2 days later which broke it again, but fixed same day again. My only real issue was the shower. This was solar powered and there was a notice saying the best chance of hot water was the middle of the day; however, this is generally not convenient if you are out for day or in the sea lots etc. In the 2 weeks we were there I only had one warm shower, every other time it was freezing. Also, we had to pay extra to use the safe which I thought was rather cheeky as obviously you are going to need this for passports etc.
Facilities - everywhere was nice and clean and tidy. The pool was big and rarely busy. However, it was one of those places where you need to get up really early and put a towel out to get a sunbed (despite signs stating to the contrary). There was also a distinct lack of shade. None of the sunbeds offered shade all day and there were no other places really to sit and get out of the sun unless you went inside. A general word of advice we would give is to go to a hotel with a private beach - on the public beach (such as here) you are constantly hassled by the beach boys trying to sell goods and excursions which means it isn't much fun to be on the beach which is a shame when it is so lovely and warm.
Food - I was pleasantly suprised by the food. I wasn't expecting much from the whole buffet style idea (never having done this before) but the evening food was plentiful and of good quality. I was particularly happy with the vegetarian selection, there being protein sources like lentils and beans every night rather than just veg. The breakfasts were also lovely, with pancakes and omlettes made to order. Lunch I wasn't so sure about as it was largely the same as dinner and could have got a bit repetitive but we didn't have lunch there very often.
AI - this is where I felt the hotel really let itself down. You were given 2 bottles of water in your room per day, plus a refilled jug. If you wanted any more than this you had to pay. I didn't think that was a lot to keep you going from dinner time to breakfast considering the heat. With bar drinks the sizes for soft drinks and water were really small, you only got a few mouthfuls out of each one. Again, when it is so hot I think they should be more generous with the water. If you weren't AI and were paying for drinks you got much bigger ones. In terms of alcoholic drinks again it wasn't really 'all' inclusive. There were only a handful of cocktails included (none nice), but plenty you could pay for - and this wasn't due to it being international brand spirits. I tried vodka and mixer but due to the small glass size I found it too strong to drink. So, all-in-all I thought it would be more accurately described as 'mostly inclusive' than 'all inclusive'"
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This warm and friendly hotel welcomes guests with a distinctly African vibe and a fantastic view of the Indian Ocean! The spacious and comfortable vibrant deluxe rooms have a TV, Coffee and Tea making facilities, safe (chargeable) and mini fridge to ensure you can relax and enjoy, in air conditioned comfort with quiet, split unit air conditioners or on the terrace with a spectacular view and a cool Indian Ocean breeze. The ocean deck edges onto the ocean and offers a relaxing atmosphere during the day enjoying a sunbath with a terrific view of the ocean! Whether you come to the Bamburi Beach Hotel to relax or to use it as a starting point for your game drives, we do everything we can to ensure your comfort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotel.de, Booking.com, HRS, Jovago.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Hotelopia, Priceline, Odigeo, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Bamburi Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bamburi Beach Hotel Kenya
- Bamburi Beach Hotel Mombasa