“Visiting the Voyager is like going home”

Voyager Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 58 Hotels in Mombasa
buckinghamshire
“Visiting the Voyager is like going home”
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We visited the Voyager for the 5th time in April this year as it was wonderful as normal.
From the minute we stepped on board it was like returning home and the welcome was wonderful. (which other hotel in the world would a toilet cleaner remember you and welcome you back)

The staff are what makes this hotel from Margret by the pool who will keep you in drinks all day to the staff in the restaurant staff who remember which table you like. A big thank you to you all.
The animation team work very hard and a special mention to Oliva, Alice, Susan and Josh who are lovely people.
There is always something to do if you wish, the aqua aerobics in the morning is good for working off the food from the night before!
Mercie the Thomson rep is first class and will really go out of her way to make your trip one to remember. Mercie arranged a meal for us at la marina which was a fantastic experience with first class food in a magical setting on the edge of the creek and with a very good price tag. It is well worth a visit.
Kenya is a wonderful country and the Voyager a wonderful hotel, please take your time to talk to the staff as they are truly lovely people.
We are in the process of arranging our 6th and 7th visit for next year and are looking forward to seeing our Voyager family soon

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank hales09
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Voyager Beach Resort, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Ahoy Guest,
Thank you for such an inspiring review that you posted in the Tripadvisor Forum. welcome to the family of those who have been to Voyager for more than one time.
You are correct that we do remember all our Repeat Guests. To us they are Friends.
We look forward to having you again. This time round I hope we can be on the Captains table together for a special meal.
Stay Blessed.
The Voyager Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (658)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 12 June 2012

After reading all the reviews and never having a proper honeymoon, we decided to have a 4 night stay at Voyager Beach Resort.

I upgraded to a better room which made it quite expensive at nearly US$400 per night. It was a nice enough hotel but it just felt like we were with a whole lot of other tourists all sunbathing around the pool. The food was very average, the Maasai Show was interesting but the performers spent the whole show dancing to a drunk guy that had his wallet out, handing out bills as fast as they would take them (I can't blame them really I'd do the same).

We had some local guests join us for the day to have lunch with us so we bought an all inclusive day pass for all 3 of our guests. It was extremely expensive and because one of the guests hadn't put his wristband on yet when he ordered his first drink, he had to pay for it on top of the exorbitant price we had already paid.

I thought maybe everywhere in Mombasa was like that as we had just arrived for a 12 Month stay. Therefore I didn't write a review for Voyager Beach Resort right away because it was the first place we had been to. Well I've stayed in a few other places since and we found a couple of terrific places (see my other reviews).

In the end though, I did enjoy my stay but the value was not there and there is really nothing private at all about Voyager Beach Resort. It's just too touristy for our taste. We really wish we had our honeymoon elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chookmeister69
kent
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Voyager Beach Resort

We stayed at voyager beach for 10 nights from 11th May to 21 May on a all inclusive basis with an additional Renewal of Vows Wedding Package.

Hotel- The hotel is run as if you were on a ship.So nightly you dock at various different ports for all different cuisines EG Indian Chinese Swahili Mexican Turkish Hawaiian and so on.The hotel grounds were beautifully maintained with palm trees and exotic smelling flowers
paradise.Check in was smooth offered a cold face flannel for freshening up also a long cold fruity cocktail.Front of house staff very professional and helpful.
Cabins- Our Superior seaview room (Upgrade for booking our wedding) was very comforable with kingsize bed.We had a ground floor room with lovely veranda overlooking the quiet pool.The room itself was excellent with everything we needed for our stay- Mossie Nets around the bed although we only got bit once each but not in the room.Hairdryer- Towels changed every day,also the same with bedlinen.Plenty of space for clothes etc.A/C,Telephone,tea/coffee making.The Chambermaids were always happy to wish you JAMBO when they saw you even if they were not cleaning your block.The cleaning staff were hardworking happy people.
Around The Resort- Lots to do 3 pools-Relax quiet pool for adults only,funpool where you have all watersports,large rectangle pool for serious swimmers.Pool towels included so you dont have to worry bringing your own bonus.
Restuarants- one italian you can eat there every night if you like with table service makes a change if you dont fancy buffet.Or there is The Cove you get 50% discount if you eat here the food is lovely try the lobster on a skillet dish its to die for also table service.
There is also the snack bar and the main restuarant.
Bars- Main Bar,Sports Bar with big screen tvs (for football fans)also the lookout bar at the top cliff area overlooking the ocean nice for a light breeze if its a really hot humid night.Also not to forget the ice cream parlour near snack bar.
Activities- tennis-volleyball-games area-sail boats-darts- pool table- glass bottom boats.
Other amenties- cyber cafe- electronic games-shop-bookshop-massage with sea view-hair salon.
Safari- We booked our safari with the lovely Thomas Cook Signature Rep Peter we had a fantastic day at Tsavo East we saw Baboon-zebra-Warthog-Ostritch-Giraffe-Buffalo-Elephant-Lion-Gazelle-and various Antelopes plus lots of birds and the famous dung beetle.Our brilliant guide Michael was very knowledgable about the flora and fauna he was a pleasure to be with,it was a truly unforgettable experience.We booked our breakfast the night before and it was ready to take on safari in packed lunch form.Our lunch was included and we had it at Lion Hill Lodge up in the mountains overlooking the safari reserve breathtaking views.
Beach- Beautiful white sandy beach (my husband played football one afternoon) also you can take a camel ride.You can go down at night and watch the crabs running about.
We meet the captain charming man, also the head chef, asked us if he could improve anything on the menu we said no we were very happy with everything.
All the staff were happy to help at any given point special mentions to all the bar staff and the wedding co-ordinators Proscovia and Joy and renson and john & wycliffe gardener- salim- John- Joshua Peter front house for allowing us to keep our room on for a few extra hours and to the beautiful pool bar lady who brought us lots of diet cokes. THANK YOU TO YOU ALL, ASSANTE SANA.

RENEWAL OF VOWS- The hotel organised everything for our wonderful day.We had a meeting about all details and they made sure that we had everything we needed.Special mentions go to Proscovia and Joy (wedding co-ordinators)

Flowers- Beautiful white roses with babys breath and franipani in a hand tied bouquet-husbands buttonhole lilac rose everything we asked for.
Cake- heart shaped lemon sponge cake we got to choose shape and flavour
Dinner- at the cove included in the package lobster dinner beautiful decorated our table
Ceremony With Minister- A lovely service just what we asked for
Decorated venue- with beautiful flowers and purple linens and chair ties to match
Flowers for ceremonial table- lilacs and whites to match
Sparkling Wine- to toast our wonderful day
Tree Dedication- a beautiful palm
Breakfast in bed the following morning
Polo Tops celebrating our anniversary
Photographer- the brilliant renson( THIS MAN IS A TRUE LEGEND)
Videographer- the fantastic john ( AS IS THIS MAN)
Bridal Hair- by the best hairdresser ever maragaret

All in all the hotel and staff where fantastic and our special day will stay forever in our hearts. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH.

IF YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN TO KENYA PLEASE GO YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

Room Tip: Rooms near the quiet adult pool fantastic
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travel_guru_66Kent
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Voyager Beach Resort, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Hello Guest,
As you may know I do read all the Comments posted on this forum. I respond to as many as I can. It is always my pleasure to read a wonderful review like the one you have posted.
You took quality time to update all of us of your experiences and this is truly appreciated.
We are glad you had a Ball and left with good memories of your renewal of Vows.
Voyager aspires to be the best and it is always our pleasure to have such good feedback and for us to be of service to our esteemed Guests. We like to say we are MAD (Making a Difference) and we are excited that in your case we did.
The Crew looks for ward to your being with us again soon.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2012

went to the voyager last year 2011 me and my wife shirley .had a fantastic time staff were great . nothing was to much trouble especialy caroline and george at the pool bar . the entertainment is brilliant .food very good plenty variety . rooms really clean and comfortable great place to go

Room Tip: all rooms are good
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank glen f
Ahoy Friends,
It is always such a pleasure to be of service to Repeat Guests like you. Voyager has a repeat Guest level of about 50%. This sometimes goes as high as 70% during Winter. During such times we are one big Family.
We are Glad you are part of this awesome Family.
The Team awaits your future visits.
Good Day
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Visted April 2012,

We absolutely loved this holiday. The staff were friendly, food was fantastic. The rooms/hotel were incredibly clean. We wouldn't hesitate to visit again. The pools were very good and it was nice to have an 'adults only' pool. The look out bar was lovely for pre dinner drinks.

The only two down points - the room was a little tired but acceptable (we had a superior ocean view room) and it is difficult to enjoy the beach due to the amount of 'beach boys',.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 4 June 2012

A little formulaic, but I achieved my personal goal of turning my brain off from work for 48 hours. A couple of tips:

-There are rooms closer to the beach, quiet pool side, in the 5000's. Ask for those if you want to be far away from the loud kids.
-Get the all-inclusive formula. Just makes it all easier.
-If you want to go out, go to Heller Park. Ask for the guide "Shelly" (or Sheila?). Go in the afternoon, between 2 and 2:30. They feed the giraffes, hippos and crocodiles at the end of the afternoon. Pretty awesome.
-Ask for the driver named James W. He's kind and attentive and knowledgeable. If you want to go to Fort Jesus, he knows an awesome guide who can also take you around the Old Town. Do that trip in the morning, when it's less hot and bring water and sunscreen.
-Back to the resort: if you want to scuba dive, make sure you're not planning it on the same day you fly out. I'm a newbie with diving and had to cancel my lesson and dives because I didn't know :-/
-If you want to snorkel, register early for the next day. Departure in the morning.
-If you need a safe, mention it when you check in. It's 200KSH per day. They'll give you a pin to "activate" the safe. You can't use it without it.
-I didn't get Internet on my phone, but I was able to purchase an hour's worth of access for 400KSH, which I could either use in the cybercafé on pretty decent computers, or on my iPhone in the lobby. It works fine. I was able to upload a few pictures on my FB page, and I saw some people were able to use Skype on their iPads.
-If you want to go to the Italian or the seafood restaurants, you need to make a reservation. Not guaranteed there'll be space so book early, maybe a couple of days early. We weren't able to go at all, but honestly, the main restaurant was more than fine.
-Bring "smart casual" clothing for eating in the restaurants. The rules aren't strictly enforced but they prefer you have sleeves, closed shoes, not bathing suits, not barefoot. I wish I'd known, I would have planned for that.
-Beach boys: annoying. Tell them firmly you're not interested and that you wish to be left alone. I kinda wish the hotel would save a portion of the beach where they wouldn't be allowed to go, and maybe even give them a defined, organized space to operate from. I felt like I couldn't enjoy it as much as I would have liked to because I was there on my own and felt somewhat harassed.
-The quiet pool was lovely, though, and helped me pretend I was in the ocean.

But one thing is for sure, the comments about the staff being friendly is very true. It also creates an ambiance where everyone is friendly with one another.

Vote for this review if you found it to be helpful! Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
9 Thank CharlaineL
Devon
Reviewed 1 June 2012

The staff at the voyager are beyond friendly, and will go above and beyond to please you. We stayed at the voyager for 2 weeks, as well as a safari, (3 day,2 night.) Tsavo east & west. The only irritating thing was as we booked the safari when still in England, you get the discounted price, which means you can't keep the room for the nights you are away, which means packing up all of your stuff to leave your suitcase in the hotel. Bit annoying, but considering that is the only complaint I have, not bad! The safari was excellent, we were very lucky with what we saw, the list of animals is endless. The only one of the big five we didn't see was the rhino. Which is because rhinos are not very common in Tsavo. The 2 hotels we stayed in on safari were great, only issue being, even though paid for all inclusive, you still have to pay for drinks. Which were expensive. Other than that, amazing safari.
The food at the hotel is BRILLIANT. Lots of different choices, all fresh and nice, not a single complaint with food. So much variety. The facilities were superb, only issue being the all inclusive stopped at midnight. Meaning if you want a drink after that time, you had to pay.
If it was a busy night in the restaurant, it would sometimes take a while until you got a waiter/waitress's attention for a drink, but not too bad. The entertainment after eating was amazing, with some excellent shows held, and a SUPERB live band! The Mombasa roots band. BRILLIANT!!! The animation team, which is there for the kids, are spectacular, my 2 sons, aged 21 and 13 organised with the animation team a football tournament, my son's got a team together of just anybody who would play, against the animation team. They aim to keep the kids and everyone happy. Very friendly!
The rooms were very clean and nice, me and my husband had a superior room, whilst the rest of the family had the normal rooms. The superior room, is virtually the same, other than the sea view. So with that, you pay for the view. We went as a family, 3 generations of the family were there, so there really is something for everyone. Only issue for the older teens to young adults, who like to stay up until stupid o'clock in the morning, there is nothing for them to do. My daughter - 18, stayed up every night until stupid o'clock with someone she met on holiday, they were literally the only people up every night except the security guards, who were according to her, extremely friendly and polite, willing to answer any questions etc.
My mother, the children's nan, came with us, and it was the first time she has ever gone on holiday out of Europe, she enjoyed it so much she is taking her brother with her in a couple months to the same hotel.
SMOKERS - You may find it a bit annoying that you CANNOT smoke where you like at this hotel, there are designated smoking areas, this INCLUDES outside. Even outside you must go to a designated area.
Over all, the Voyager is a great place to go. With the most friendly staff I have ever experienced. The weather was always sunny, and very hot, even in the evenings it was still hot. In the italian resturant at the hotel, men MUST wear trousers.
Me, my mother and daughter went to the salon for a facial, it was relaxing and they did aim to please, but it was not the best place I have ever been to. Brilliant holiday, would advise anyone to go here.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family