We went to Mombasa Beach Hotel in June 2011 as part of our honeymoon - I had been working elsewhere in Africa and my wife came to meet me in Kenya. After an amazing safari experience, we came to Mombasa for some beach time. We had a terrible couple of days at Mombasa Beach Hotel and we left early, losing all of our money (the hotel didn't entertain any notion of refunding our money) and going to Serena Beach (which was very nice).
Specific complaints? 1. The water was dirty (red), there was no hot water. Worse than this though, was the fact that the staff kept telling us that it wasn't dirty and that the hot water would come on if we ran it long enough. We brought the manager with us to the room and ran the water for minutes on end, with no hot water coming, and eventually got a shrug.
2. The meals were tasteless. We had had excellent food elsewhere in Kenya and on safari, so it was a real letdown to eat at MBH. There was no problem with freshness or quantity, the food was just bland, and prepared without much care.
3. Overall, the staff just seemed totally indifferent. Other reviews have mentioned that they seemed demotivated. Indifferent would be the word I would use. At one point, after we'd complained about the water a few times, we were woken up at 5am by security staff - presumably it was a wakeup call intended for someone else who was probably going on an early safari. But that is the kind of thing staff should be sure about before waking somebody up at 5am. There was no explanation about this and no interest from anyone to apologize, etc.
We had booked through a package tour, so we spent the third day calling around to see where there were vacancies in Mombasa. We then booked Serena Beach ourselves and when we got there, it was like heaven - not least because of where we were coming from.
If you're just looking for a base from which to do business, this place is probably reasonable. If you are on vacation, this is not recommended.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mombasa Beach Hotel is under the flagship of Kenya Safari Lodges & Hotels is located in the Kenya’s North Coast. It is only 10 km from Mombasa Town and 18 km from the Moi international Airport Mombasa.. It is a prime destination for conferencing and leisure in its many conference outlets. Various kinds of water-sports are available, in addition to excursions to Marine Park, nature trails, Old Mombasa Town and cultural villages.Despite the Hotel’s proximity to Mombasa itself, it exudes an air of tranquility with huge and well maintained tropical gardens that provide welcome shade in the heat of the day. Overlooking the Indian Ocean are its white sand beach suitable for sand bathing, wedding and public functions at the Cavern Beach Bistro. All the 152 rooms have SPACIOUS SEA FACING BALCONIES. The hotel has 145 Standard rooms and 6 Executive Suites. All the rooms are equipped with guest amenities with a recent addition of satellite TV/DSTV, wireless internet connections and split unit air conditioning systems.The hotel has four bars namely:-Kaskazi Bar, Deck Bar, Pool bar, Sports Centre Bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and Jovago.com so you can book your Mombasa Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.