“Good but not great”

BeiJing LiQun Roast Duck (Qian MenDian)
Ranked #43 of 12,817 Restaurants in Beijing
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chongwenmen
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Went here based on tripadvisor reviews. Very simple setting in hutong that some may find unclean. Server walking around sweating flies, for example. Got there early on a Sunday at 4 pm and seated immediately, although I had to wait nearly an hour for the meal. Servers helpful when asked but not attentive. Mostly local people eating this evening. I thought the duck was fine and the experience great. I would go again and I do look for unique experiences such as this.

Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

We went here with my family of wife and 2 kids, 7, 9 and their cousin, working as a model in Beijing. Her chinese collegue said "very good restaurant" .We all loved the place in the real hutongs just south of Tianenmen. Walking distance from NewWorld. Not "so industrualised" as a german complained the change over a couple of years. I believe the owners just want to earn enough money to buy a black Audi...no more no less!

1  Thank Qiuzhili
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I came to know about this relatively small Roast Duck Restaurant from an article in the Times Magazine many years ago - well before the construction of the access roads in the area. It has since been my favorite. Customers would be impressed with the pile of wood from fruit trees outside the small entrance, the photos of (mostly foreign) celebrities who dined at the restaurant displayed on the wall of the corridor, and then the oven fire with the shinny ducks over hanging there. The dining areas are separated into different parts of this old house in the hu-tong. The main attraction is the roast duck, roasted and sliced in the old style - with lean and fatty meats under the crispy skin. It is simply delicious with an aroma possible only from fruit tree wood, which is so memorable. Other duck dishes such as marinated or deep fried duck liver, are tasty, too. When coming to the bill, it was inexpensive and for good value - considering especially the food quality, and experience.
However, do not expect too much from its decor and house keeping, Advance reservation is absolutely necessary. Waiting may still be required, unless you are amongst the first batch of customers in the evening. Bring your own wine as the choice from the wine list of the restaurant is limited and, in my opinion, of general quality. Its founder/owner is quite an interesting character. Take a photo with him and he will tell you lots of stories.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

If u want to have some of the popular peking duck, Li Qun is a great place to start. With celebrities and even ambassadors coming here, u know the that the duck they serve is gonna be good!

One duck was made into 3 dishes, Peking duck, some deep fried duck and some duck soup which I didnt know how to appreciate.

Besides the duck, I would also recommend the fried squirrel fish. It is coated in sweet and sour sauce. Fried nicely on the outside while the flesh remained soft.

Overall, worth a visit especially with the old interior and exterior. Just follow the duck drawings along the wall from the main road to lead u to the tasty duck!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We saw a TV special on china in march and this restaurant was featured so we wanted to go seeing we were going to china in April ,we emailed James from Leadtochina to book it for us as the ducks have to be pre ordered the day before and as we were on a cruise that was impossible,it was about $23 a head ,the duck was great we had so much food on the table,the place was packed and people waiting to get a seat ,it's down a Hutong in Beijing well worth going to,a real Peking roast duck

Been to BeiJing LiQun Roast Duck (Qian MenDian)? Share your experiences!