“Welcome to a 21st Century hotel”
Review of Park Hyatt Beijing

Park Hyatt Beijing
Ranked #35 of 6,483 Hotels in Beijing
San Diego, CA, USA
“Welcome to a 21st Century hotel”
Reviewed 5 June 2010

This is some hotel. Wow! It is new, having opened just before the 2008 Olympics. And it is state-of -the-art in many ways. Believe me, you will not feel like you have just stayed in your ordinary hotel.

The location is extremely convenient for the subway which, after only a short time in Beijing, I concluded was the way to get around. Traffic in Beijing is beyond awful. While the subway can be crowded, at least you get where you're going. I far prefer that to the one-hour taxi ride to go five kilometers, which we endured on our arrival. Although the hotel is a fair distance from the Forbidden City (making walking to it out of the question), it is a quick subway ride way.

The hotel's rooms are marvelous. The room's layout is a bit weird, and I would not recommend staying with people who you know only casually. But it is incredibly spacious and comfortable, with great views. The amenities are superb, from the softness of the towels to the high-tech toilet. So, too, was the ultra-attentive service we received. Oh, and did I mention that our room was free, through the Hyatt's recent promotion?

The rest of the hotel is pretty much what it primarily intends to be: a hotel for business travellers on expense accounts. We were tourists, so we didn't use the hotel's various facilities and, if we had, they would not have come cheaply, I am sure. But there were plenty of food options a short distance away.

Anyone who stays here and is ambivalent about it must be crazy. It may be too avant-garde for some tastes, but it certainly isn't ordinary.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviewed 28 May 2010

The Park Hyatt Beijing was simply amazing! Rooms are high tech and up in one of the high rises with a fantastic view of Beijing city. It's located close to the Silk Road market and other big area attractions. The room I stayed in had a stone bath tub complete with bath salts and a loofa - top end toiletries in the room - the shower stall has a hand held spray with an option for a rain fall shower. The room itself has electronic blinds/blackout coverings for ease of adjusting the external scenery. All lighting is also customized for dimmers, etc. The rooms come standard with robes & kimonos for use. Simply amazing - far beyond my expectations! Oh - and service is amazing as well - I was escorted by the registration staff to my room and upon arrival tot he room, I received a full debrief of the options of the room (i.e. instruction on how to work all of the gadgets) - I loved it! Simply a luxury experience. The location is at the border of the 2nd and 3rd ring of the city. I had stayed at the St. Regis on my last stay and thought nothing could top that stay...my stay here at this hotel totally blew my St. Regis stay out of the water. I DEFINITELY will come here again on my next visit to Beijing!!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
Far Hills, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 May 2010

The hotel is lovely, restaurant good, location very good (for our office, can't comment on others . . .). The only odd thing is the bathrooms in the room are scattered throughout the room, a small room with a toilet, an entrance way with a shower/bath on the left and a "wall" on the left and behind the wall is the sink. I found the layout beautiful, but odd and certainly was glad I was not sharing with anyone I wasn't very familiar with as you are basically showering in the bedroom. I never managed to get the rain shower to work.

All that said, I can't imagine ever staying anywhere in Beijing again. The staff were lovely and the hotel sets the bar by which others can be measured. The pool is also fantastic, made me start to enjoy exercise again!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Menlo Park, California
Reviewed 13 April 2010

I stayed here on vacation with my family, but I can see how the hotel would be even better for business travelers, with a generous-sized work desk, better-than-average internet speeds, and a convenient location near the central business district. We were upgraded to a suite, which included a large living room and an absolutely gigantic bathroom. The bathtub alone was big enough for 4-6 people at the same time (not that we tried to do that!), and there was a separate "rain forest"-style shower.

I agree with those who say that this hotel has service issues -- especially in the China Grill restaurant, where the staff seems clueless and surprisingly unfriendly. (And the food service in the "Lounge" restaurant was rather slow.) Nevertheless, the rooms and facilities at the hotel are so spectacular that I believe they outweigh the few service problems that exist in the restaurants. In addition, most of the front desk and bell staff were friendly and competent.

The fitness center is well-equipped, and the indoor lap pool -- bookended by two large jacuzzis -- was beautiful. Actually, there is a second, even better-equipped fitness center in the "Park Life" complex on the lower floors, and the lap pool there is also quite nice. In both facilities, there was only one other person using the fitness center when we were there, and no one else in the pool, so it almost felt like we had the whole place to ourselves.

The interesting thing about the rooms in this hotel is that photos really do not do them justice. In the hotel website photos, the rooms look a lot smaller and more cramped than they actually are. You really need to see them in person to understand how attractive and well-designed they are.

Earlier in our China trip, we stayed at the Grand Hyatt Beijing, which is also an excellent hotel (in some ways, more family-friendly and more convenient to tourist stops like Tiananmen and the Forbidden City). That hotel is so big and crowded, however, that it often felt like a zoo in comparison to the serene environment of the Park Hyatt. In the future, the Park will be our first choice in Beijing, as long as it is not much more expensive than the other choices!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Monterone
California
Reviewed 7 January 2010

Decided to switch to this property during a recent visit to China, hoping that the operation had ironed out all of their teathing problems - sadly not the case. The rooms appeared as if they were five years old with damaged furniture and surfaces everywhere, light not working and a very frustrating issue with the water pressure. The Chefs in the China Grill Restaurant were extremely rude, and the chances of recieveing basic service in the China Grill was almost impossible to recieve. The biggest mistake of my trip was to stay in this property as I will be returning to my original hotel - where the price is cheaper and the service is better.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
7 Thank Zheng888
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 26 December 2009

This is our 4th trip to Beijing. Earilier in the year we were in Beijing and my sister took us to the Park Hyatt China Bar (located on the 65th floor with 360-degree views) for drinks. We really like the hotel as it was very chic. That's one of the reasons why we chose to stay there. Like most hotels in Beijing, the lower half of the building is rental apartment and the hotel lobby is located on 63rd floor. It is rather inconvenient as we have to take an elevator to the lobby floor and then take another elevator to get to the guest room floors. They also have a separate elevator for the China Grill and China Bar. Our package includes a buffet breakfast at China Grill. I found their food was okay and their service was inconsistent. Some servers were great but some were very poor. One evening we had dinner at China Grill, we asked one waitress to bring us more bread but she refused to do so as it was 15 minutes before closing. We then asked another waitress for something else, she was helpful and courteous. Go figure. We certainly didn't expect that at a high end hotel like the Park Hyatt. XIU is a rooftop garden restaurant and bar located in the Beijing Yintai Centre, a building next door which is connected to level 6 of the hotel. We stopped by the Bar briefly at midnight and it was packed but music was great. International Food Warehouse (IFW) at the lower level of the hotel offers inexpensive cafe style food such as noodles, dumplings, pizza, sandwiches, etc. It is a great place to grab a quick bit but it is usually packed with white collars from nearby offices during lunch time.

Their guestroom design is unique and hi-tech. There were two 'Scene' buttons with pre-set lighting and drapes setting. With the press of a button, the mood of the room changes instantanously...that's really cool. The decor of the room is sleek and contemporary. The room is very spacious with walk-in closet, in-room safe, separate room for toilet, rain shower and separate stone bath tub, an island with tea service on one side and a sink and bath amenities on the back side. They have the most amazing in-room Espresso machine, Nespresso - what a treat! The bed and bedding was super comfortable. Their wireless Internet was reliable and fast but it cost $150 RMB for a 24-hour use, I was not impressed.

The hotel has a pretty amazing lap pool and two hot tubs on both ends of the pool. Unfortunately, water in the hot tubs was luke warm and not hot enough to my liking. Equipment in the fitness centre was great and clean. We also tried their steam room. It looked clean but I could smell funky odor - not so nice.

All in all, this is a great hotel for business travellers beacuse of all of the conveniences for business travel. For vacationers, the hotel is probably too cold and lacks personality. Location is fantastic as you can get to everywhere by taxi in no time.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong
Reviewed 1 December 2009

Park Hyatt Beijing is located on the top floors of the Yintai Centre. We got a great view of the Beijing landscape and its neighbouring sky-scrapers (CCTV Tower etc.) from the sky lobby and the rooms.
Service that I experienced was really good. To start with, the staff wore friendly smiles. And what's more, one of the members of the staff even took us around and introduced us to the hotel upon our first arrival.
My family and I (4 of us) stayed at 2 Park Twin rooms. The interor design was sleek and modern, with a slight oriental touch. I especially like the ACCA KAPPA bathroom amenities.
All in all, the Park Hyatt Beijing was a good deal, considering the comfortable and unforgettable stay that it provided my family and I with.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family