“Trip of a Lifetime!”

Ranked #22 of 6,568 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 13 November 2011

To celebrate a milestone birthday, my wife and I decided to travel to Beijing for a week long vacation. We were not disappointed!
From the airport to the hotel was a breeze. By using the Fodor's guide with the hotel name written in Chinese, the driver was able to take us directly to the hotel with no fuss. Check in was very efficient. The staff was pleasant, courteous and conversant in English. After checking/copying our credentials, we were directed to the high speed elevators and quickly found our corner room on the 29th floor. It was well appointed with excellent views of Beijing and a massive bathroom. There was a waiting birthday cake - a nice touch. The beds in SPG properties, in my view, are the most comfortable hotel beds of any chain. They provide both feather and foam pillows and live up to their advertising as "heavenly." There is a rainforest shower, large flat screen TV and wireless phones.
At check in, as a Gold member of SPG, we were given a choice of clothes pressing, fruit or 24 hours of room wi-fi. We elected the convenience of room wi-fi. It functioned well with my iPad upon which we installed an app to translate words from English to Chinese and vice versa.
Our first stop was to the concierge. The staff was knowledgeable, courteous and able to communicate in English. They provided us with maps (in English and Chinese), made dinner reservations and, if the restaurants we chose had no slots, made suggestions on alternatives. Catching a taxi was generally uneventful and, armed with the maps from the concierge, return to the hotel was simple.
The subway system is quite logical and very inexpensive. The nearest subway entrance is at the corner of the property, no more than 100 feet from the front door. Signs were in Chinese and English; stops were announced in both languages and maps easily understood.
Back to the Westin. We went to the breakfast buffet and found the selections to be extraordinary. Besides the Western fare of fresh juices, baked goods, eggs, bacon and the like, Asian dishes were quite plentiful. They also have a sandwich shop and baked goods shop in the hotel. The costs are commensurate with this type of property.
City Mall is located just outside the back door. There are many high end shops and a couple of hidden gems. A pastry shop is in the lower level just across from the Apple Store. On the third floor there is an excellent Peking Duck restaurant (recommended by the concierge).
The only way to sum up our week long experience - memorable! Daniel Aylmer and his staff are to be commended for their fine work!

Room Tip: Ask for corner room on an upper floor.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TPBott
Daniel A, General Manager at The Westin Beijing Chaoyang, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2011

Dear Reviewer,

thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our friends at Tripadvisor.com and the team and I are both humbled and delighted to read your review. We are glad that your stay with us was renewing and we were able to assist in making your travels to Bejing memorable. We do hope also to be of service upon your future travels.

The Westin Beijing Chaoyang

Write a ReviewReviews (1,405)

Reviewed 6 November 2011

I stayed at the Westin Beijing Chaoyang for 5 nights and I have never been treated so poorly by hotel concierge staff before. As a preferred hotel for the company I work for I assumed the service would be top notch, however I was met with unfriendly and rude concierge staff. After the experience I had whilst staying at the hotel I don’t think I will ever opt to stay at a Westin Hotel again.

I had asked the staff on a few occasions to help with directions to restaurants and also to assist in booking, and on all but 1 occasion they failed and treated me as if I was stupid because I did not know Chinese. I felt bitterly discriminated against, just because I am Asian doesn’t mean that a) I am Chinese b) that I speak read Chinese or c) that I can read Chinese. Not all people who look Chinese are Chinese; there are other Asian nationalities out there and your staff should be respectful of that.

My stay otherwise was great – the room was lovely, the rest of the staff – particularly the restaurant staff at breakfast and also the cleaning staff were super polite and lovely, the hotel is also is a good location which makes accessing the city easy. Everything else about the hotel was as expected from a Westin.

It’s a shame that the people who are meant to be customer facing didn’t treat their guests with respect.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Daniel A, General Manager at The Westin Beijing Chaoyang, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2011

Dear Reviewer, we are all disappointed to read how we let you down during your recent stay in our hotel to which we sincerely apologise. I have shared your feedback with the team and I assure you that this is by far the norm here at the Westin. Thank you as well for all the great feedback on your stay and we do hope to be of service during your future travels to Beijing.

Reviewed 2 November 2011

My husband and I spent ten days at the Westin Chaoyang for the second year in a row, and it will definitely be our choice again. Service is top-notch, room service is fast and the food is really good, quite reasonable laundry service, and the pool is fabulous. Attention to detail is amazing! For example, we were given the exact same room as last year, a renewal suite.

Room Tip: The renewal suites are just as advertised - spacious with excellent amenities. Two huge tvs, two to...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Daniel A, General Manager at The Westin Beijing Chaoyang, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2011

Dear Reviewer, the team and I are delighted to read your review on Tripadvisor.com and thank you for sharing. We are also pleased to hear that this was your second visit with us and we were able to once again assist in your journey to renewal. We look forward in being of service in the future.

Be well, Be Westin!

Reviewed 1 November 2011

Location is good, near tube, it's embassary district, so easy for westerner. Nice room

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer, thank you for sharing your experience with our friends at tripadvisor and we are pleased to read your review. We are very fortunate with our hotel location being ideal for both the business traveller and holidaymakers alike. With Beijing traffic becoming more grid locked daily, the choice of hotel becomes more important as location becomes paramount to move around the city. We do look forward in being of service once again in the future.

Be Westin!

Reviewed 31 October 2011

This is a very modern, upscale hotel. The staff was responsive and friendly. But the best feature in this hotel are the beds. I had never slept in a bed so comfortable -- in any of the major chains. It was a dream. In addition they provided six different pillows, and for a pillow snob like me this was the best. The executive floor breakfast room had a great selection and a great view. Very nice hotel...

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer, thank you for choosing to stay with the Westin during your recent visit to our capital and we are delighted to read your review.
The beds at all Westin's are truly Heavenly and in addition, if you wish to experience Westin at home, can be purchased around the world for delivery. I too enjoy the Heavenly Bed and can not sleep in any other bed.

Be Westin!

Reviewed 30 October 2011

I was fortunate enough to enjoy the delightful Sunday brunch at the Westin which they call "Bubblicious". Moet champagne flowed freely to accompany a luscious buffet. Don`t hesitate if you`re looking for a delicious brunch with as much as you can eat from 11:30 through to 15:00. Ummm, yummy!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Reviewer,

thank you for spending the time to share your Bubbalicious experience with our friends at Tripadvisor.com. I tell all friends and family when visiting Beijing to experience our Brunch as it is a "must visit." I will share your experience with the team and hope to see you next time at one of our Sunday Bubbalicious Brunches.

Reviewed 25 October 2011

I stayed there for 5 days and it was a great experience. The room and services are great!
and go to the spa and pick a massage! Wow...

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Daniel A, General Manager at The Westin Beijing Chaoyang, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2011

Dear Reviewer,

thank you for sharing your experience online with our friends at tripadvisor. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your heavenly spa experience and look forward in being of service in the future.