“A clean, quiet, simple hotel tucked into the middle of Beijing”

Starway Sunjoy Hotel
Ranked #3,321 of 6,527 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I booked this hotel for friends who were coming to visit. It is tucked back behind a building, across from the St Regus and right behind a Starbucks. The room and bathroom were clean. There is a little coffee shop that has a simple Chinese breakfast. Since there is a Starbucks right outside the door, you might want to go there for breakfast.
It is a very quiet hotel and my guests got a good night's sleep.
I suspect they speak on Chinese here, so if you can't speak Chinese, another hotel would be better.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank TinChina
There are newer reviews for Starway Sunjoy Hotel

Reviewed 18 August 2013

No doubt its located at very prime place but over all service and quality is very poor. Right from reception and service is very below standards of any hotel. Honestly I would not recommend as just to quote an example, I did not have good service when I asked for and unfortunately I had another problem everytime when I go out, when I come back Key will not work and I have to come all the way to reception to correct none to help even to be concern when customer raised us several times.. I would strongly recommend Starway management lookinto this problem.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This is a fine hotel convenient to restaurants, markets, subway, Starbucks ( is that an asset for you?) and it is quiet. Nothing fancy. Small - very small rooms. No real amenities. I don't remember breakfast - so either it was not memorable or did not exist.
But for the price - it can't be beat!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 August 2013

If your on a budget go for this place. It's near a subway station, cheap, has a lot of restaurant beside and in front, near Silk Road mall, near a bus stop to Tiananmen Square, and one of the most peaceful areas of Beijing.

The positive things are enticing but this is a 2 star hotel at best. All the materials in the room is probably one of the cheapest but blended to look decent. Good thing I'm staying alone in a room because its small. My friends who are couples had to stay at the same sized room. Had this been a working trip this hotel would be perfect if its near where you work but if you're on vacation, get someplace nicer. If your on a budget, this area is not the place for you, go to the Hutongs, you'll get to experience the local culture.

Just have breakfast across the street it's actually good and reasonably priced.

By the way, THE HALLWAY STINKS!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Having just stayed at a very nice hotel in Shanghai, I was looking forward to Beijing. I think this colours my review a bit, but this hotel was definitely older, much more basic, and a bit strange to be honest. Looking across the street to the St Regis, which was something of a palace with marble floors, it was a bit depressing as well.
That being said, it was clean enough and very well located - quite close to one of the metro lines, which was a quick trek to the Forbidden City/Tiananmen, lots of restaurants (even Starbucks in case Chinese food isn't as appealing). I had a non-smoking room but there was a bit of a smell of smoke, and also it is not well known so the taxi driver had some trouble finding it.
All in all, I gather that hotels in Beijing are pricey, so if this is really the only option within a budget, just be prepared that it's not a 5-star hotel and I think it's okay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 October 2012

I stayed here for a week before going to North Korea. Firstly, it is in a great location which is relatively safe due to its close proximity to the embassy area. Close to the Silk Market, Jianguomen station and western food outlets. I was on a pretty cheap rate as I booked through work and it was acceptable. Firstly I was told that there would be English speaking people working at the reception desk but the most that they could say was hello. Some tried to make an effort and smiled as I walked past and others looked at me with a frown. The cafe was interesting... On my package I had free breakfast and was a traditional Chinese breakfast but thankfully they had a few pastries and some cake which is what I ate every day. The room was okay, it was clean and there was free WiFi which was a godsend as the TV reception was extremely poor. There was a traditional Chinese bed however which was very firm but after my first night I was used to it. If you are looking for a conveniently located hotel in Beijing and are a bit strapped for money but do not mind eating out for every meal, I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Icelandair_Pilot
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Spent one night in hotel. The room has very basic conditions, but for one night is good especially with great location (near Silk Market or Ya Bao Lu territories) and the decent price. However please do be careful when you eat, drink or use anything in the room. We did not use the mini-bar, but were charged for 2 coffees and...shampoo! These items were not listed in any list, but the hotel clerk just did stupid face, and we had to pay in order not to be late for our flight. The staff speaks very basis English. And do not believe what is written in their website and prospectus about tourist places. Tiananmen square is not 20 minutes walk. We used to walk there for the whole 1 hour!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business