“very good hotel but far from the airport and central business district”

Ranked #121 of 6,550 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We went to Beijing last March 13, 2014 and stayed in this hotel for 3nights. The room is clean, new and spacious enough to accommodate 3 adults. the housekeeping always replenish out stuff and clean our room. I always take into consideration the bathroom which this hotel meet my expectations. There are many food choices in the buffet breakfast, however, it will be better if they change or add new food they serve everyday. the hotel is 45mins to 1hour from the airport and far from the central business district. there are restaurants near the hotel but the foods have no english translations and a kfc fast-food where you can eat. what i was disappointed is the wifi connection. you can only use their poor internet connection in the lobby.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank fabchell
MWSbj, General Manager at Mercure Wanshang Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Fabchell

We appreciate your valuable comments and we are happy to be of service to you during your stay with us.

However, we understand you have some difficulties with the wifi which we are in the process of upgrading the system. As for the buffet breakfast, we shall work on it to improve the variety.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

I was cek out this day from wan shang hotel with my group -/+100 people... in 21feb

The first day i visited... is nice place... room is good... interior was old but still ok laa...

But in 2nd day when i ask the reception to get wifi... and one employee bribg the routers to my room... she said we must put deposit 100yuan.. im is ok.. but one of other employee pass our room... and talk no polite.. she said to her friend dont give us the router cause we are groups.. it can make difficult (she speak in chinese)...

I think the employee have no polite.. really we dissapoint with his action..

And others: bfast os good too... i like it..

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank narsiskust
MWSbj, General Manager at Mercure Wanshang Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Narsiskust

First of all, we are glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We appreciate your kind feedback with regards to the wifi router and do apologize for the behaviour of our staff during the delivery.

We shall definately provide training to our staff to deliver a better service.

Once again, thank you from the staff and Management of Mercure Wanshang Beijing

With kind regards

Reviewed 18 November 2013

OK, it was a 4 out of 5 and a 1 out of 5! The pluses: It was clean and the room was lovely, with a bath, shower, desk, internet in room by cable, safe and really everything you needed. Loved the layout with glass between the bedroom and bath area (blind if you needed privacy) and toilet and sink separate. It was in a quiet area of town and even near the elevator we were never disturbed. The breakfast was amazing with everything from eggs and bacon, fresh buns and toast to salad or cereals! We all loved the breakfast buffet.
The minuses: We stayed there in November and there was no heat!!! It was freezing! You know something is amiss when the receptionist is in a great big parka! I hear they can't put the heat on until a certain date…not sure, all I know is it was cold. Even going downstairs for the Wifi (I couldn't hook up with the cable in the room) it was hard to get the wifi and it was too cold to sit for too long! Also there was one morning with no hot water…they did warn us the night before thank goodness. The bed was hard by our standards. It is also a little far from the downtown.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Linda F
Reviewed 3 November 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed 31 October 2013

My husband and I just returned from Beijing having spent a total of 6 nights at this lovely but interesting hotel. Thus, we were able to experience a couple of differently styled rooms. Both rooms were very clean...in fact quite spotless.

In both rooms there were also a few English TV channels available on the very nice flat screen TVs including HBO and CNN.

Our tablet was also able to access the hotel WiFi (which we did feel was rather slow) with the portable Ethernet-to-wireless adapter (purchased from the Future Shop) that we brought with us from home. Such a great idea to use this kind of adapter no matter what hotel that you might choose to stay in anywhere in the world. Normally you would have to go down to the hotel lobby to be able to use their WiFi successfully for your tablet or iPad to work. However, if you brought your own laptop, then you could use their provided Ethernet cable in the rooms. Keep in mind though that you cannot access your Facebook account as well as many Google sites due to government restrictions. We found that using Yahoo as a search engine was much more successful than Google and we were thus able to access our personal Cogeco accounts to keep in touch with our family.

The mattresses on their beds, at least for both of us, were very hard, even with an extra comforter underneath us and were quite difficult for us to adjust to no matter how tired we were. However, this very well might not be a problem for you as this really is a personal preference. I also suspect that this could very well be more of a cultural thing in most of China as the other hotel that we stayed at also used a very hard mattress on their beds.

Room temperature was quite difficult to regulate... our room on the 2nd floor nearest the elevator as well as reception desk was absolutely freezing and did not respond to any warming up even when we adjusted the thermostat upwards. Our other room on the 6th floor was much too hot, regardless of any thermostat alteration downwards. I am feeling just like Goldilocks must have felt at this point. LOL ( Still, better to be too hot than too cold!)

It was a bit of a challenge for the very friendly employees at the front desk to understand our English, even when I told them and physically demonstrated how cold our room was, could they please regulate the temperature for us, could we please have extra blankets, etc. They simply did not get it and no changes were made. One evening, when I was trying to make a long distance phone call and trying to solicit their help, I eventually understood that I had to leave a deposit of some kind and just wanted to make sure that I had the correct country code (was it 1 or 01, I was wondering?). I very well might have ended up calling Hong Kong instead of Canada, due to the employee's misunderstanding. (FYI, it is just the number 1)

The bathroom on the 2nd floor was quite cramped, although it did have both a shower and a tub. The water could get quite hot and the water pressure was excellent. Not much room around the sink for any of your things though.

The bathroom on the 6th floor was quite large, but only had a shower. The water pressure was not as good and the water only got to be warm...never ever got hot. However, there was lots of room around the sink for your things.

The Mercure does a particularly nice job of providing you with robes and slippers to use, shampoo, conditioner, soap and body wash, lotion, toothbrushes and toothpaste, shower caps and vanity kits.

I noted a slight smell of sewage drainage in both of the above bathrooms, but this really was quite minor compared to many other places that I visited. I also believe that this is a plumbing problem throughout all of Beijing.

There was evidence of both 110 and 220 voltage outlets, making it unnecessary to use our voltage adapters that we had brought with us. Their hairdryers worked great.

The breakfast buffet was excellent with lots of American and Chinese dishes to choose from, although not a great variety of fresh fruit was ever available.Their coffee was actually quite good considering that I am a Tim Horton's addict. LOL

The location to the Wanda Mall is just fantastic! This is only about a 3 to 5 minute walk from the hotel. Le Carrefour Dept store is on the bottom level and is an excellent place to shop for any kinds of things that you may have forgotten, as well as for souvenirs. There are also many kinds of upscale clothing stores as well as restaurants including a Pizza Hut and McDonalds. Access to the subway was also excellent.

Room Tip: Do not choose rooms by the elevators, choose higher level rooms furthest from the reception desk as...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank deb-terr
MWSbj, General Manager at Mercure Wanshang Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Deb-terr

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to provide such a thorough and valuable comments on your stay with us at Mercure Wanshang Beijing, particularly with
your kind understanding of the chinese culture.

Indeed, there are a few areas for our improvement such as the wifi speed, room temperature, water pressure, buffet spread and English language training which we shall undoutedly continue to do so.

Once again, we do appreciate the invaluable feedback.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 21 October 2013

really a nice hotel. it is clean and have a betiful garden. but the bed is a little bit hard to us. the staff is friendly specially the concierge. if we want to take a subway, it will cost us 7 minutes. it is easy to go to the town.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LUCIA Z
MWSbj, General Manager at Mercure Wanshang Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear Lucia

Thank you for taking the time to provide a valuable comments on your stay with us at Mercure Wanshang Beijing.

With regards to the hard bed which most chinese guest loves, but we do have guest who prefer soft bedding. To provide guest with soft bedding, our housekeeping staff will be able to set it up upon request.

However, now that we know your preference, you can be rest assured that it shall be arranged on your next visit to the hotel.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 20 October 2013

My supplier booked this hotel and I was going from Shanghai to Beijing on sudden business purposes.
I did not expect anything in class with the usual hotels I stay in, eg Marriott, Conrad or Hilton, so I expected an average business hotel which it is. Good things: English speaking reception, very quite location and feasable clean. Not so good things: No WiFi (I had to use my portabel router, WiFi has to be considered to be standard in todays hotels as Mercure or simular), the mini-bar is empty (You have to phone house keeping and order which is ub convinient) and the breakfast has no fresh fruits except melons, canned fruit and the beacon was not crispy at all (actually the worst I have got, this can be improved without any cost for the hotel)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business