“Formidable!”

Ranked #129 of 6,606 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I booked this hotel because I am an Accor Silver Member and I am currently an expat in Beijing, So, I was looking for a weekend getaway to a nice hotel. Fortunately I got exactly what I was looking for.

The hotel was fairly easy to find, exit from exit B, keep going and turn right when you see a KFC and a mall. There's a little passageway next to KFC that leads directly to the hotel. Check in took quite a bit of time, but I think the woman was new. She didn't acknowledge my Silver membership with the usual welcome drink, but I can let this go as the rest of my stay was top notch.

The lobby is tastefully done. The best part of the hotel is that you get a taste of France, but they also don't let you forget that you're in China. The hotel is lovely. The koi pond in the lobby is a nice touch, the elevators are lovely, and they really have paid attention to details.

My room was just as lovely. The wood work is lovely, and as the last reviewer said, they have thought of everything. From the "housekeeping" to the "Do not disturb" buttons. The room was classy from the bottom up and the toiletries and shower were nothing short of sublime. My first evening I ordered room service. It came quickly and was delicious.

Breakfast in the Globe Café is lovely. There are so many choices that cover eastern and western tastes. The bread pudding was absolutely amazing and it was nice to have fluffy croissants.

The first evening the manager, Mary, came up to me while I was looking at their dinner menus and took me in to look at the Thailand-themed buffet that the café was having. Her service was top-notch and made me feel very welcomed to the hotel. Not to mention, the buffet was very delicious. The chef at the hotel is sublime. Mary even suggested that I come for dinner the next night, so I invited a friend. We were so impressed with out steak dinner: from the salad to the fruit plate for dessert. The staff gave excellent service and the chef came out to see how we enjoyed everything. We were very impressed.

Mercury Wanshang will definitely be my weekend getaway from the hustle and bustle of Beijing. The park out back is beautiful, it is located on a quite street, at the Wanda Place a few blocks away is very nice.

Thanks to the fabulous manager and the excellent workers, I must say I had an amazing time at the hotel. The worst part was having to leave.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank nogentais1986
MWSbj, Front Office Manager at Mercure Wanshang Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Thank you for the nice and positive comment and we are happy to know you enjoyed your stay with us recently.

Your valuable feedback shall be shared with our staff and colleagues and further trainings will be provided to our staff on the Accor membership card available.

Looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 2 weeks. The rooms we were given were on the 7th floor and overlooked the local province.

When the day was clear, it was stunning view. At night the buildings all light up and makes your night time experience just magical.
The rooms are equiped with slippers, robes, minibar, flat screen, weighing scales, safes, desk, etc I could go on.

There is nothing they haven't thought of.
There is (in the room we had) a beautiful glass door which opens into the bathroom and then another one which opens into the shower and bath area, where you are greeted wit a glass wall looking back into the room!!! Don't panic though, there is a blind to pull down so no one sees you playing with your rubber ducky! However the owners here have thought of everything. The glass concept gives the room so much more light and space.
Locally you are 5 mins from a Carrefour which I would recommend you buy your beers and then bring them to your hotel for drinks in the evening as they are 80% cheaper there (not that the hotel drinks are expensive, but they are on par with drinks back home). You are 15 mins walk from the metro although if you take a Rikshaw it is a thrilling 5 mins ride and only about 10Yuan (€1.20). I will definitely be back there soon.

The staff were so helpful and made our stay so memorable we cannot thank them enough. Beautiful koi and goldfish in the lobby, the gym is massive! There is a swimming pool of olympic standards and steam room, sauna to match! They really have thought of eveything and it is like a haven to come back to.

Please feel free to contact me for more information on this hotel and the area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Darren_R_Beckett
MWSbj, Public Relations Manager at Mercure Wanshang Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

We would like to thank you for your highly positive comment with regards to the hotel - its service, facilities and staffs which our staffs will be happy to learn of it.

It is our motive to ensure each guest will have a good experience during their stay with us
and we are glad that you have stayed and shared your pleasant experience with us.

Once again, we thank you and hope to have you back to stay with us again.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Looked high and low for a hotel with a pool in Beijing at a decent price. This was a great deal. However, it is about a 20 minute metro ride from the centre, but close to the metro station. Huge rooms, great breakfasts. And a huge swimming pool.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Anna P
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We went to Beijing last March 13, 2014 and stayed in this hotel for 3nights. The room is clean, new and spacious enough to accommodate 3 adults. the housekeeping always replenish out stuff and clean our room. I always take into consideration the bathroom which this hotel meet my expectations. There are many food choices in the buffet breakfast, however, it will be better if they change or add new food they serve everyday. the hotel is 45mins to 1hour from the airport and far from the central business district. there are restaurants near the hotel but the foods have no english translations and a kfc fast-food where you can eat. what i was disappointed is the wifi connection. you can only use their poor internet connection in the lobby.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank fabchell
MWSbj, General Manager at Mercure Wanshang Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Fabchell

We appreciate your valuable comments and we are happy to be of service to you during your stay with us.

However, we understand you have some difficulties with the wifi which we are in the process of upgrading the system. As for the buffet breakfast, we shall work on it to improve the variety.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Yours sincerely
Mary Goh

Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

I was cek out this day from wan shang hotel with my group -/+100 people... in 21feb

The first day i visited... is nice place... room is good... interior was old but still ok laa...

But in 2nd day when i ask the reception to get wifi... and one employee bribg the routers to my room... she said we must put deposit 100yuan.. im is ok.. but one of other employee pass our room... and talk no polite.. she said to her friend dont give us the router cause we are groups.. it can make difficult (she speak in chinese)...

I think the employee have no polite.. really we dissapoint with his action..

And others: bfast os good too... i like it..

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank narsiskust
MWSbj, General Manager at Mercure Wanshang Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Narsiskust

First of all, we are glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We appreciate your kind feedback with regards to the wifi router and do apologize for the behaviour of our staff during the delivery.

We shall definately provide training to our staff to deliver a better service.

Once again, thank you from the staff and Management of Mercure Wanshang Beijing

With kind regards
Mary Goh

Reviewed 18 November 2013

OK, it was a 4 out of 5 and a 1 out of 5! The pluses: It was clean and the room was lovely, with a bath, shower, desk, internet in room by cable, safe and really everything you needed. Loved the layout with glass between the bedroom and bath area (blind if you needed privacy) and toilet and sink separate. It was in a quiet area of town and even near the elevator we were never disturbed. The breakfast was amazing with everything from eggs and bacon, fresh buns and toast to salad or cereals! We all loved the breakfast buffet.
The minuses: We stayed there in November and there was no heat!!! It was freezing! You know something is amiss when the receptionist is in a great big parka! I hear they can't put the heat on until a certain date…not sure, all I know is it was cold. Even going downstairs for the Wifi (I couldn't hook up with the cable in the room) it was hard to get the wifi and it was too cold to sit for too long! Also there was one morning with no hot water…they did warn us the night before thank goodness. The bed was hard by our standards. It is also a little far from the downtown.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Linda F
Reviewed 3 November 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com