“Good facilities, a bit lacking in atmosphere”

and 1 more site!
Sanlitun Huatong International Youth Hostel
Ranked #162 of 1,345 Beijing B&B and Inns
London
“Good facilities, a bit lacking in atmosphere”
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

I would recommend this for groups or couples, but not so much for solo travellers. I stayed here on a weekday night in early September, so maybe I was unlucky with it being quiet, but the bar/lounge seemed rather dead - not great for travellers looking to meet people, though if you're with someone else you obviously won't mind so much.

The room was actually in the budget hotel across the courtyard, not in the main hostel, so I'm guessing they share their rooms to provide for private room bookings. My room had old and shabby furnishings but it was spacious, came with aircon and had more stuff than I was expecting - kettle, tv (admittedly only chinese channels), towel and made bed.

For a youth hostel, not bad at all, but as somewhere to stay rather than hang out.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Beijing, China
Reviewed 1 September 2013

This place has a good rep with travelers and Beijing resident expats, staff are certainly friendly and efficient, the lounge and deck area are cool places to chill, beers are also reasonable prices.

I had a single room, across from the hostel, in a very utilitarian hotel that might rate two stars at best. The room was ill kept, bathroom floor showed black mold and there was no lightbulb installed. More importantly, there was no soap, not even the small generic tablet soap. This was a bit irritating, I had spent five hours shopping locally, it was a pretty warm day.

It seems this hotel takes the overbooking from the Sanlitun Youth Hostel, which I wasn't expecting.

Anyhow, I went to the hostel lounge for breakfast, ordered their big "English" breakfast.

It was one of the worst meals I have attempted to eat in maybe twenty years. The sausage was not British style, which is lax as there is at least one Beijing sausage maker who makes decent Cumberland sausage, Irish pork sausage, and farmer's pork sausage. They can be bought retail from an international store less than five minutes walk from the hostel, so wholesale should be no problem either. The sausages I was served were not cooked adequately, and in fact were cold in the centre (probably cooked, then frozen, then reheated for serving). I expelled a mouthful into my paper napkin.

The mushrooms were unlike any any fungi I have tried to eat, they were swimming in oil, very rubbery, and would not break down when chewed. They too found their way to the paper napkin.

The bacon. Badly cooked, when I attempted to eat a piece I gagged and spat it out. The taste was bad, the smell of the bacon was that of urine. Not phosphates or sodium,but urine.

The scrambled eggs appeared ok until sampled. The eggs were off, not really bad, but not fresh as to be edible.

The toast was the cheapest white sliced bread they could find, very lightly browned as if it had spent about half a minute in a toaster.

I didn't even bother with trying the quartered large tomato. It was raw, but burned on the edges.

The oil used for cooking this breakfast was extremely poor quality, as we're the ingredients.

I have owned and run a food production and catering company in Asia, and I know that sometimes it is difficult to source authentic ingredients, but there is no excuse for bad cooking of very low quality fare when there are better shopping options available, and easily available, in Beijing.

I have eaten all kinds of food in China over the last two years, from five star banquet feasts to back street cafes and street food. This breakfast was quite simply inedible and very possibly the worst meal I have been served in the last two decades.

Room Tip: It is a hostel, so go in with low expectations and take it from there. This place is a also a reason...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2013

It's clean, its £4 a night and its in Sanlitun. What else do you need!?

Bit of a walk to the tube station but apart form that this place is spot on. Close to Yashow Market, the village shopping centre, clubs etc. Pretty spot on place.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Brattleboro, Vermont
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I stayed here with a buddy of mine while we were living in China and on vacation in Beijing. First off, this is a youth hostel, plain and simple. We shared a room with a dutch girl and italian guy the first night, the girl left the second night, and had a new roommate the next few nights. There is a shared bathroom, so bring your flip flops, own shampoo and everything you would need. I felt safe locking my things up in the safe in the room. On the weekend nights we were there, this place was a mad house. We met so many different people and had a great time. Beers were a bit expensive, but its China. The breakfast in the morning was good, as well as the specialty coffee drinks. The burger was questionable, but again, it's China. We took a trip to the Great Wall through the hotel which was also pretty great. We went to the less touristy part of the wall, if there is such a thing. Overall very good experience. Remember, it is a youth hostel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
louisville,colorado
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I recently spent two nights here in March. The sole reason for staying was because the group we were traveling with was also there and it was the meet up point before departure. The staff was friendly, room was small, no elevator, and can be loud in the hallways at night. It's usually from the prostitutes that roam the halls putting business cards under your door. Thus making it a full service hostel. The only problem with the hotel directly that we had was that we had to argue about getting our deposit back of 100 RMB. My friend had spilled a few drops of coffee of her bed sheet and they were claiming it was stained forever.... Also, the bathroom had slightly flooded and the towels had dirt on them from wiping up the floor. That also was to them, stained beyond repair. I wondered how long this small scam had been going? It took almost an hour to get the smal deposit back with the aid of our tour leader. I have a feeling they do this knowing you have to leave for the airport.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ljc65
Kongens Lyngby, Denmark
Reviewed 25 May 2013

The staff is super friendly and happy to help (and speak great English!), but everything's quite expensive comparing to everywhere else in Beijing and the cleaning is not satisfying.
They do offer a lot of services like washing your clothes, booking train tickets, taking you sightseeing, but again it's quite expensive comparing to other places in Beijing.
The atmosphere is amazing though, lots of young people and lots of partying during all days of the week - and you can always find someone to go shopping/sightseeing/etc. with!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed 26 April 2013 via mobile

Had gone with my friends to Beijing .. And we a group of 5 students stayed at sanlitun .. We got a lot more then what we expected out of the youth hostel .. Good food (expensive then the road side stalls just around the corner) .. Great tavel information counter (only people in Beijing who seem to know English) but its advisable to do the tours on your own as you save up on a lot and its much more fun .. Made a lot of friends by the pool and fooseball table .. All in all a good experience as got to meet fellow travellers from different parts of the world .. Just would ask the hostel to be a bit less commercial !!

• Stayed October 2012