“Good middle range hotel”

Orange Hotel Beijing Yayun Village
Ranked #185 of 6,520 Hotels in Beijing
Firenze
“Good middle range hotel”
Reviewed 29 August 2012

It is a nice middle range hotel, good value for money. Nice and large rooms with clean bathrooms. No breakfast and limited common areas. Huixinxijie Beikou subway station at 5 minutes walk. Nice living fish in every room.

Room Tip: Book a couple of nights and add more locally. If you get there by taxi, tell the driver the hotel te...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank SperelloFirenze

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
vancouver
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Pros: Large room. Clean. TV had English channels. LAN connection works well. Bathroom is decently laid out. Linens are nice. AC works well. Little pet fish in room. Metro is a two minute walk away.

Cons: Location is far away from Tiannamen Square, Forbidden Palace, and hutongs. It will take you about 40 minutes on a crowded subway to get there. You will also need to cab or subway to the Olympic Park. There is nothing around the hotel in terms of restaurants and shops. There is one grocery store about a 5 minute walk away. They say there is WIFI in the rooms, but we never got any signals. There is WIFI in the lobby. The breakfast (20 yuan) sucks. And they won't you eat it in the lobby. Bathroom emits a funky smell. Smoke smell throughout hotel. Reception doesn't speak great English but enough to get by.

In summary: For the price, you get a good, comfy room. The hotel is just not a great location. If you're gonna be in the Tianamen area frequently, I would recommend against this hotel because 40 minutes each way on a VERY CROWDED subway each way feels like torture. I wouldn't stay here again. I would pick something closer to Tianamen and the hutongs.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank vancity8
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2011

I travel and stay at Anyuan East Li area about once to twice a year and have tried a couple of different budget hotels. Orange hotel is new and in a very quiet street. But the problem I had was noisy air conditioner compressor but managed to get rid of it by changing room. So services were quite good as it was around 00:30am.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 26 June 2011

We were looking for an affordable hotel to stay in for us 2 and my parents who arrived couple days later. The hotel is located in a side road which allows you to sleep well (we had rooms inside not towards the road). We took the bigger room category which gives you some more space and it was clean and the bathroom was in a good size for a short stay. All amenities are provided (toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, shower gel, shampoo, etc.) and on one occasion we ran out of toilet paper. When we called for a new role it was delivered in less than 1 minute!!!! Great quick service. Internet is free, password is provided in the room (with English instructions) and every room has a little glass with a fish. Unfortunately the poor fishes do not have much water to swim in (we filled it up as much as we could), but I guess a lot of them do die after some time, but it is still a very nice touch as we do like fishes.

Other than that the hotel is offering a free bike rental for 2 hours (maybe even 4 hours) or you can rent the bike for 5 Yuan for the whole day, that's a bargain.

We were able to communicate in Mandarin Chinese with the hotel staff, if you do only speak English it might be a bit difficult, however they are very nice and look after you. By the way most staff are in the twenties, so very young, but this doesn't affect the service at all. They are all very good in what they are doing.

From our side a recommendation and we most probably will return to the same hotel during our next Beijing visit.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Patpat333
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 20 June 2011

We were a family of 6 adults on vacation. Booked 3 business type rooms via agoda since we couldn't book directly through their website. arrived at around 2AM to check in.

Pros
1. We had 3 smokers in our group, so they appreciated the fact that they didn't need to go down to light a cigarette. We didn't know you can smoke in the rooms prior to booking Orange Hotel. We only found out when we already got our room keys and were about to leave the lobby. My Aunt asked them where she could smoke, and they told her that she can smoke inside the room.
2. Price was reasonable for a large room.
3. Staff speaks a little english, some better than others, you did have to supplement your requests with some hand gestures to be understood
4. TV had one channel that showed english speaking shows and news
5. free wifi inside the room

Cons
1. As soon as we entered our rooms, there was a strong stale smell of tobacco. We were tired from the long flight so we didn't bother to be transferred to new rooms. This was specially disturbing for me since I hate the smell of cigarettes. The smokers in the group also thought the stink was strong, but I guess they were ready to endure it as long as they are allowed to smoke inside the rooms as well. Since we had 3 rooms, we designated only one room for smoking. My sister transfers to my mom's room when she wanted to smoke.

It would have been easy to remedy the smell if the staff had prepared the rooms before we arrived. They had our reservations, and we noted the time of our arrival, so they should have expected us and aired the rooms. The smell was actually gone by the next morning because we opened the window while the A/C was turned on. Even the designated smoking room, didn't smell of cigarette smoke though they were constantly smoking there. They just kept the window open when they were smoking.

Makes you wonder how well they clean the rooms after guests leave.

I did go down to inform them the rooms smelled, and asked if we can transfer the next day if we didn't get the smell out of our rooms. I don't think they understood me so I didn't get a proper response.

2. Key cards would stop working constantly. I'm not in the hotel or IT business, so I don't know how they're supposed to program them. But since we were already paid up for 3 nights, I would expect they were at least programmed to work until our scheduled departure. But one key stopped working for my room the very next morning, good thing I asked for a spare key the night before, and keys to two rooms stopped working on the 2nd night, just when you really need to use the bathroom. And to top that we were on the 5th floor and the elevator wasn't working that night.

3. Someone puked on the carpet of the corridor, I know for a fact that at least one staff member saw it, but since it was night time they just ignored it and left it there until morning when the cleaning crew came in.

4. Bathroom door won't lock

5. breakfast was cheap at 10yuan but quite bland. They don't have a restaurant so in the small space next to the supply room (i think) on the ground floor, they set up a stand where you can claim your breakfast after paying at the reception area. It was hot rice porridge with corn bits, hardboiled egg, half a sandwich, a banana and choice of juice or milk (room temperature) in a brown paper bag which you bring up to your room to eat. I tried to ask for some salt, but they didn't have it. I love rice and I'm used to eating rice porridge. The porridge would have been decent enough to eat, if I could have added some salt. We just bought breakfast when we left the hotel for the next days.

6. The staff could use more training on customer service. We were leaving on a 1AM flight. We needed to extend one room for half a day to store our luggage and freshen up a bit before going to the airport. We were told that a half day extension was only until 6PM and they wouldn't even entertain our request for checking out at 8PM. When we arrived at 5:45 to get our luggages, we were rudely told by the person on the counter that we had to be out of the room before 6PM or else they will charge the full day. They just couldn't wait to get you out of the room. Seems like being a "guest" expires as soon as the meter runs out.

I'm definitely not going back to this place, nor will I recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed 26 January 2011

The hotel is located on the 4th city ring, close to the Olympic stadium and water cube. It is a very nice hotel with friendly staff, room is clean with modern design. But the hotel is quit beloved, it could happen that is a little difficult to get a room in the high season. so it is better to make a reservation early.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank whatdongever
singapore
Reviewed 3 July 2010

Try to get a map in Chinese which shows the location of the hotel. I made my way to this hotel by subway train as I read that this hotel is only a 5-min walk from the subway train station. As this hotel is located in a lane, it could not be seen from the main road. After coming of the train station, I asked for direction to the hotel and was quite surprised to find out that many locals do not know where this hotel is located. Many of them have not heard of this hotel. Eventually, I got into a cab. Even the taxi driver did not know the location. Thank goodness, I had the telephone number of the hotel.

The hotel is a no frills hotel. I am quite satisfied with the cleanliness of the room and the toilet. The mattress is hard like what you would find in many hotels in China. I could not sleep well because of the pillow was too flat. It was as if my head was resting on the bed with no pillow. Still I would recommend this hotel if you do not want to spend too much on accommodation. The hotel is away from the city centre but it is near a subway train station, so getting around should not be a problem.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo