“Excellent hotel, great staff”

Doubletree by Hilton Beijing
Ranked #48 of 6,527 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 22 September 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights whilst in Beijing & upgraded to the executive club. The hotel is outstanding & the staff are friendly & courteous. We checked in at the executive lounge and was given a warm cookie and drink at arrival.

The room was a fantastic size with plenty of wardrobe & drawer space. It was very clean and looked very new. The bed was a good size and was very comfy. The bathroom was also a good size, with shampoo, conditioner, bath wash etc. provided and was also very clean. there was a turndown service in the pm.

The upgrade to the executive floor was well worth it, Breakfast is served in the morning, with a wide selection to choose from i.e cereals, pastries, fruit, sausage, bacon, toast. Soft drinks were available throughout the day and drinks including alcholic drinks and snacks available from 5.30 until 7.30 in the evening. Wifi was also available in the executive lounge.

The hotel staff were very helpful, there was times when it was difficult due to the language but they did their best with english language and we got there in the end. The hotels location is a little out of the city centre but to be honest it was worth it for the standard of hotel and the service received. Ray on the concierge desk was very knowledgeable and help us work out how to get to our destination. The hotel runs a shuttle bus 3 times each morning to the nearest subway. There is also a bus (number 7) which stops pretty much outside the hotel which also takes you to the nearest subway station, the cost is 1 Yuan per person (10p).

We traveled around the city on the subway and found it very fast and convenient and also very cheap.

We would definately recommend this hotel and would certainly stay here again if we return to Beijing.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
DoubletreeHilton, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2010

Dear guest,

Greetings from Beijing!

Thank you very much for sharing with us your experience in our hotel and for taking the time to share it with fellow travelers at tripadvisor.com.

We will certainly share these comments with our team members as testimony that our guests do take notice of their good work and to serve as motivation for them to continue doing the good work that they do. It gives us great pleasure to know that you were pleased with the services and choices we offer at breakfast.

There are newer reviews for Doubletree by Hilton Beijing

Reviewed 14 September 2010

I stayed at the Doubletree for 9 nights and enjoyed my stay mainly because of the wonderful service I received from all the employees especially in the executive lounge which I used every day for breakfast and evening snacks.

It is an excellent hotel for business travelers, but just needs to add more services for tourists.
Since I have visited Beijing 14 times starting in 1982, I believe, I am a good judge of hotel quality in Beijing.

It is walking distance to the Tea Street and one of the oldest Buddhist temples in Beijing dating from 750 AD and one of the few with women monks.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank palihi
DoubletreeHilton, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2010

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Beijing!

We will certainly share these comments with our team members as testimony that our guests do take notice of their good work and to serve as motivation for them to continue doing the good work that they do.Please note that it has been and will continue to be our promise “to provide exceptionally warm and caring service where guests feel welcome and appreciated.”

Reviewed 10 September 2010

Hi,

Firstly, I would like to say that I enjoyed my stay at this double tree hotel in Beijing. I stayed at the hotel for 5 nights on a business trip during july, my first ever visit to china.
I was welcomed by the staff and felt the twin room I stayed in was very good. The location of the hotel was not great but as the hotel provided a shuttle service every Monday to Friday to the local subway this did not really matter, as you are able to get around Beijing easily by the subway system.

The cleanliness was fantastic, exceptional and exactly what one may expect from a Hilton chain of hotels. However, same could not be said about the service. Although, a far amount of the staff could speak english, they were unable to understand many words at all. It would come up to a point where they will say they understand what you may require, when they clearly do not. E.g. I rang the reception desk for some help with operating my safe deposit box and clearly not understanding they send up a shower cap! One should expect that a hotel of this standard should be able to identify objects in the room in the global communication language of English.

Another issue I found quite disturbing was the hotel's 'Hot and Wet' Party they seemed to be publicising in the summer. This planned event seemed to occur every week during my stay in the hotel. This idea was utterly out of context, a beach style bikini party in the pool from a professional double tree hotel, the first in the Far East! The function was extremely offending to me, working on business and seeing half naked men and women partying by the pool whilst me and my colleagues walk to the business centre is completely altering the impression that the hotel perceives to give.

Thus, from my experience, I would urge the hotel to improve its service in many ways from its approach towards customers, understand how its facilities and events resemble the hotel and learn a little more functional English. Since, from a hotel of this calibre a 5*, felt more like a 4*.

Regards,
Arjs1000

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 August 2010

We just came back. We have traveled the world. This hotel had the best service ever. I got a bladder infection (Very painful). I knew the name of the medication I needed. I got it translated to Chinese online and asked the people in the executive lounge how I could get it. They sent someone(Air) with me to the pharmacy around the corner to get it. The pharmacy did not have the medication. They said they could give me some thing for the pain, but we would have to go to the hospital to get the one I wanted. I took what they had and Air (hotel staff) went to the hospital after his shift to get the medication I need. My husband wanted to pay him. He said no it was part of the service. (he got still got a tip)
The people in the executive lounge were all wonderful
The rooms were clean and very nice
Taxis were a problem but people on our day tour said they had problems too. The tour guide said the taxis will refuse fare if it is not close to where the want at the end of shift or if it is close to their meals time.
Great hotel.
Great Peking duck, beef tenderloin, and my son had hot and sour soup 3 times and the hotel restaurant 3rd fl.
Back of hotels is a shopping mall. There is also a grocery store in the basement. You can get water and food. They sale food to go. Can get fresh made and boil meat dumpling for cheap. Also can get noodles and wantons.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
DoubletreeHilton, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2010

Greetings from Beijing!

We will certainly share these comments with our team members as testimony that our guests do take notice of their good work and to serve as motivation for them to continue doing the good work that they do. Please note that it has been and will continue to be our promise “to provide exceptionally warm and caring service where guests feel welcome and appreciated.” It gives us great pleasure to know that you were pleased with the services and choices we offer at breakfast.

Reviewed 26 August 2010

We stay in the DT Beijing for 1 night after several nights in several cities in China in non-branded hotels. We must admit, it was a releave to find a hotel with all the international standards, large & very modern rooms, excellent service with staff speaking good English, who have some education (which is not common in China).
The breakfast is excellent, offering a large choice, fresh and live-cooking. The Chinese restaurant on the 1st floor is also of a very good quality and was one of the best Chinese restaurant we've been to during our stay. So, the hotel design, the service, the facilities.... everything is excellent!
Nevertheless, its location for leisure travelers is not that good... Beijing being a huge city, it took us 1h to get there from the Wangfuying Avenue and there is no metro station at walking reach. As taxi fares are rather cheap, this hotel is still a good option for Beijing visitors.
And we'll enjoy their warm cookies at check-in!! If you wanna bring some back, it costs 108 RMB per box ;)

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends

Dear Sirik,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your experience during your recent stay with us in the hotel. We are glad to note that you got a ‘warm and hospitable’ feeling staying in our hotel. We hope you enjoyed the warm chocolate chip welcome cookie that you must have received at the time of your check in. We are happy to hear that you like our breakfast. Our restaurant serves is one of the most exhaustive breakfasts in town, including lots of local flavors and selection.
For your kind information, our hotel is the very first Doubletree by Hilton hotel in Asia. With our ‘CARE Culture’ we take pride in providing our guests with the highest standards in hospitality.

My team and I look forward to your future visits to the beautiful Westside of Beijing!
Yours truly,

Reviewed 25 August 2010

I Stayed at the Double Tree for 13 Nights, the hotel in general looks good, but then it is new. There were some very friendly faces that spoke good English like Jon (a breath of fresh air) his staff believe in him, only if he was given the opportunity to run the area and other functions within the hotel as a westerner the hotel would be a pleasant place. Donald who went out of his way to help us with enquiries help us outside of his role or remit what ever request we had; Jane who understood English and was very helpful (reception). The rooms are of good size and initially on arrival they were clean, but for some reason during our stay they were cleaned by the in house maid dirty tea cups/glasses were not cleaned and left there in the room. You do not get replenished with coffee/shampoo etc. Reception staff I had a big communications problem just asking for general items ie currency exchange Honours problems card and if you asked them to sort out a problem of the safe, you got a shower cap and so
on. Entrance to hotel: I was shouted by Ray one of the manager because I wanted to check if my guide that I booked had arrived, he was upset because I did not book a guide with hotel. When he realised I met with the GM of the hotel he could not do enough for me by then I could not bring myself to talk to him. As for the GM when I tried to tell him some of the problems ie like communications, staff training, language problems in his hotel; he said “Its like the Chinese going to London” well I believe it was an international western hotel hence I should not be getting that sort of service from him and his staff, rather then deal with the problem he could not see the problem. My most embrassing moment was on the Sunday when my son and I wanted to go for a swim there was “Hot and Wet” a function the hotel runs – felt more like sale for sex!! I could not subject my son to that sort of thing. Lastly; had a lot of difficulty trying to get their shuttle service to the train station, why offer a service when the driver refuses to take you there. But overall I liked the hotel and the staff as with everything the bad things out weigh the good ones.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank bhootz

Dear Ms. bhootz,
Greetings from the Doubletree by Hilton, Beijing.

We are really quite disturbed by your review and take offense on some of your comments.

First, English is indeed not the language that the Chinese is very familiar with and in some areas of the hotel, there may indeed be some team members whose communication skills in the English language might have been below your expectations. But as you pointed out in the review as well, there are plenty of front of the house team members that communicated well with you in a pro-active and friendly way.

Second. We do take allegations about poor attitude that our team members and managers have towards our guests very seriously. Thus, our Director of Operations has investigated the situation in question about our Chief Concierge Ray. Although we stand behind the impeccable service that Ray in particular provides all our guests, allow me to apologize for him if in anyway he has somehow misled you with his communication style that has been perceived by you as being rude.

Third. The Hot and Wet Sunday Pool BBQ's advertising as a matter of fact shows a female in a bikini. Indeed, there are lots of our male and female guests who come to the pool party in bathing attire and sun bath in our rooftop garden's bbq party. How you have jumped from this poster image to your conclusion that the hotel is selling sex is just ridiculous.

Finally, I am surprised on how you could comment on the management skills of our management trainee Jon who you have befriended by simply meeting him in social occasions whilst you were in the hotel. As you may know, Jon no longer works in the hotel.

My team and I trust and rely on the comments the majority of TripAdvisor reviewers have made about our hotel. I am sure prospective travelers coming to Beijing can see through the reasons why you have written this review of our hotel.

General Manger
Doubletree by Hilton, Beijing

Reviewed 22 August 2010

the best part about this hotel is "value for each single RMB'.
The buffet lounge for breakfast is awesome there. fills u with enough energy for the day to explore the city......
Rooms and service are highly satisfactory

Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KumarAbhishek
DoubletreeHilton, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2010

Dear KumarAbhishek,