“Good business hotel, nice rooms, front desk was a challenge!”

Grand Millennium Beijing
Ranked #31 of 6,491 Hotels in Beijing
Shanghai
“Good business hotel, nice rooms, front desk was a challenge!”
Reviewed 31 August 2011

I stayed at this hotel with family for one night and on business one night. Not a cheap option for the family portion, extra cost for double vs single occupancy is high, add ons for extra bed are high, difficulty in understanding that a bed was needed rather than a baby's cot (even in Chinese). Check in was very inefficient despite having a corporate rate, everything confirmed and with confirmation in hand the staff tried to push the price up even higher and were extremely slow in checking in. The rooms are new and very comportable but some issues that could have been better done another way, eg lighting, soap dish etc. Hope this helps!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Safemach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I traveled to Beijing for four days on business. The room was lovely--beautiful marble showers, comfortable beds, modern decor, fantastic city view. The room service food was mediocre but breakfast buffet was very nice. The rest of this review is my story about the poor service of which the summary is--unless you speak at least adequate Chinese, this hotel is not a good choice.

I chose the hotel because it was supposed to have English speaking staff to support business travelers. But that proven not to be the case. And some of the staff were just poorly trained in general, setting aside the language. I called the concierge to confirm a hotel car for the airport the day before I left--the concierge recited back to the 5am time and terminal. But the next day, the morning concierge had no record of the car and could not (or would not) find a car. The bellman took my bag outside without me and put it in a taxi (also without me). After checking out three times without, then with, then without the car charge (with the 'assistance' of a manager), the hotel found a taxi. The manager walked with me to the taxi and directed the driver to take me to the airport. Halfway to the airport, my colleague texted me to say the hotel did not put my bag in the taxi. (She is Chinese and was worried about the poor hotel service so called the desk to check I'd gotten to the airport.) The hotel said they would send me luggage in a later car and I would have to pay $200RMB and wait for it. When it arrived, the handle was broken so it is no longer a functional roller bag. I barely made last call for my flight.

Note, two weeks ago I sent a request to the Millennium.com customer site for reimbursement on the luggage. They have not responded.

Room Tip: upper rooms have lovely views
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank postgeo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 August 2011

The hotel is beautifully built - a nice lobby with huge ceilings, a beautiful pool/spa area, very comfortable rooms but the service of the hotel staff was surprisingly bad.

Our room was extremely comfortable and we loved the bathroom. The lighting in the room was extremely dim however and the lack of natural light made it worse (there are tall buildings around the hotel, blocking natural light). There's a little bit of construction in the area which we could hear even on the 19th floor starting at about 7am.

The location is good, as far as I can tell. It's close to shopping, half a block from the subway station and right next to a mall that has a starbucks in it.

There is internet service in the room through an ethernet cable. If you need wi-fi however, the hotel lobby is the only place you can get it.

And now for the worst part, the service. Here are a few examples:

* We tried to ask the concierge and the bell boys to get us a taxi on multiple occasions and were basically told that they couldn't. I ended up going to the street and waving down taxis myself and bringing them back to the hotel for my group.
* When we left the hotel to go to the airport we specifically asked the doorman to tell our cab driver we were going to terminal 3 (cathay pacific) but instead he told the cab driver terminal 2, which is where we got dropped off and had to take car service for an extra 100 Yuan (which is what the original cab fare was) to get to the right terminal and nearly missed our flight out.
* I was leaving breakfast with a small glass of orange juice and was told I can't take the glass up to my room. I understand why this is done but am surprised it's done at a supposedly 5-star hotel. It's not difficult for the room cleaners to deliver an extra glass back to the restaurant.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank pbnyc
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I just checked into this Hotel 10 minutes ago. Checking was slow an unorganized. There were five check in staff and they were all doing administrative paperwork as I stood there and waited for five minutes. No one bothered to look up to see if there was anyone standing in front of them. The room is Ok. You will see the same room in Las Vegas at half the price. For a five star hotel, there is a big red wine stain on the carpet in my room. The Marriott,near the American Embassy, is better, IMO.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank John M
San Jose, California
Reviewed 14 August 2011

overall, the hotel is great, as other reviewers have mentioned. the bed was very comfortable, and room very clean. the pool and gym are also very nice.

however, there was a 1000 rmb deposit that was charged to our credit card, and we were told it would take 3 weeks to be credited to our account as we were checking out. i think this is unacceptable. when we checked in, there was no mention of this wait, or an option to pay in cash. in principle, these things should be 1. repaid immediately or 2. properly explained when checking in guests.

front desk staff not particularly friendly, and did not offer any "extra" information about breakfast time or hotel amenities.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank leosmith1980
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 4 August 2011

If you want to experience the new hotels in Beijing, this one you can’t afford to skip. It is located in the financial district with a contemporary style, western hotel management and courteous services. I was stunned by its health club. The thousand square feet weight and cardio floor overlooks the swimming pool one floor below. I was the only one use the facility in an early morning. The breakfast is also served on the executive floor with a bird’s view of Ritan Park. Not to mention the variety of foods from the East and the West. However, you can notice the small details that needs attention just as in any new hotels quickly erected in the past several years. The key card didn’t work well to operate the operator to the executive floors; the room sometimes smelt sewage; the modern bathroom with no vacuum fan designed in; and our online reservation discount was not reflected in the final bill.

Overall, just like fast growing China. You can quickly acquire and install the hardware, but it takes time to bring up to speed the soft skills and detail oriented mindset. I’d recommend your stay in this hotel if contemporary style is your like.

Room Tip: Ask for upgrade. We were upgraded to the executive room with cost slightly higher than buying breakf...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
GrandMillenniumBJ, Manager at Grand Millennium Beijing, responded to this review, 15 August 2011
Dear Philasian,
we are very pleased you enjoyed your stay at Grand Millennium Beijing. Thank you for your review, we appreciate and encourage all comments, as this helps us to improve our service standards. We will look into the issues you experienced to and hope to remedy for your next stay.
Taupo
Reviewed 4 August 2011

What a beautiful hotel - can not fault anything about it - friendly service - clean - luxurious and just great to be in. Food selection was great - chinese restaurant fabulous - Dum Sum lunch on weekend a real highlight. would love to go back again for sure

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Dear OzzieTaupo,

Thank you for your positive review of the hotel and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay at Grand Millennium Beijing. Majority guests loved our Dim Sum of Yao Chi Chinese Restaurant very much and We look forward to your return and making memorable stay for you.