“Delivered on all levels.”

Grand Millennium Beijing
Ranked #33 of 6,556 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 9 September 2011

Having read a few recent reviews about the GM you could be forgiven for being hesitant in booking, but let me say that you should not be put off at all.
From start to finish I can't find any fault with my stay. I was lucky to get a great deal , but even if that hadn't fallen my way, I'd still be writing as effusively.
Booked the M Club room which came with added benefits, and though only there for 2 nights , it was obvious I had made a good choice. Check in for M Club is on 27th floor and was quick and quiet. I noted a previous reviewer had commented on the time it took for checking out/in and I could see an issue if there had been anyone else at the same time, so maybe that is something to consider, but you would have the choice of the lounge to wait in, along with complimentary food/drinks which wasn't stated!
Room was superb : Modern, spacious, great views, comfy big bed, plasma TV, comp'd mini bar, and wi fi....what's not to like about that?

The bathroom was bigger than average, with a beautiful over-sized bath complete with panoramic views. It was my first port of call, I can tell you. Power shower with side seating available, well stocked toiletries, and two big mirrors which lends itself perfectly for a couple : no fighting for space in the morning!

Breakfast buffet was plentiful, and coffee refilled without my need for seeking attention. It's a nicely laid out area, quite stylish ,and angled well for the solo traveler who likes their cosy spots alone.

I dined in the Yao Chi restaurant and found it fine, though the spring rolls were decidedly small considering the price, but the overall experience was positive due to the rest of the meal, service, and ambience.

The Club lounge on 27th floor is a lovely location for meetings or simply relaxing. The service was always first class: not overly invasive as some can be. I must pass on a good word for Rihannon (?) who was very kind and helpful.

One thing that really stood out for me , though, was the high visibility of the Hotel Manager , Glen Cook.
I believe you can measure any hotel by this, as those who, like Glen, make themselves available to guests daily show that they are willing to stand by the service they are providing. I can't think of many 5 stars in which I have seen such high visibility, so credit where it is due, I say.

There are so many places to choose from in Beijing that platforms such as review sites have a part to play, and we can only give our experiences as they happened, and this is mine.

Hope it helps.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
GrandMillenniumBJ, Manager at Grand Millennium Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2011

Dear eh32,

We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay at Grand Millennium Beijing and extremely thankful for your positive review of the hotel. We will share your comments with our colleagues to maintain and even improve more their service standard.

Reviewed 2 September 2011

I've stayed here three or four times now and overall I do like the hotel. However, my overall impression is that they are really trying to aim for international 5 star standards, but they don't have the depth of understanding and training within their staff to fully appreciate the subtle differences that make or break an experience.

The good: Very nice, spacious rooms. Nice executive lounge and more intimate feeling experience for breakfast / drinks. Pleasant staff. Good location. Reasonable price. Good health centre facilities. The iPod dock in some rooms

Try harder: Only two very small bottles of complementary water in the room, but lots of Evian with big price stickers on - feels cheap. Just give the water away! No food or snacks in the mini-bar. The lack of an iPod dock (in stead a Bose radio but not much use unless you want to listen to Beijing radio) in some rooms identical to those with ipod docks.

When I checked in this week, it was 11pm and I needed to check out at 8am the following morning. I had been travelling and just wanted to get to bed. For some reason my credit card wouldn't work (not their fault) so i paid the full room charge on my debit card. I then had a 10 minute argument because they wanted me to pay 1,500 RMB cash deposit. I refused as I didn't have this money and pointed out that I was leaving in 9 hours - what did they think I would spend 1,500 rmb on? I told them to put a note that if I want any room service i had to pay cash which they had done before for me. but the desk clerk just refused to budge and in the end I had to just get my key and walk off to my room, ignoring his protesting. I do understand they have policies but at the same time they could see that I'd stayed there several times before and never had room service, used the spa, etc, so I was both a loyal customer and surely 'trustworthy'. Left a bad taste.

Second issue is a bit more contentious. They have opened the health club to non-residents to pay membership and it seems popular. But they need to realise that part of the appeal of a 5 star hotel is a bit of seclusion and relaxation. I have used the swimming pool several times - it's a nice pool. But it is always quite busy with lots of people either swimming really slowly or just bobbing about chatting in the swim lanes. Worse still is that on each occasion I've seen at least one person clearing his throat and spitting into the grids by the edge of the pool. Revolting. If they continue with this, then I think within 12 months their health facilities will look really tired and grotty.

So lots of promise, but give people water if they pay US$250 for a room, give your staff a bit more training on the importance of service and EQ and re-think the merits of allowing non-residents into the health facilities.

Dear mhshanghai,
Thank you for the comments and for your loyal support of Grand Millennium Beijing. Your feedback is valuable and we will improve wherever possible, all suggestions will be considered and some may take time to implement, please bear with us. We hope you trust us enough to return and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 31 August 2011

I stayed at this hotel with family for one night and on business one night. Not a cheap option for the family portion, extra cost for double vs single occupancy is high, add ons for extra bed are high, difficulty in understanding that a bed was needed rather than a baby's cot (even in Chinese). Check in was very inefficient despite having a corporate rate, everything confirmed and with confirmation in hand the staff tried to push the price up even higher and were extremely slow in checking in. The rooms are new and very comportable but some issues that could have been better done another way, eg lighting, soap dish etc. Hope this helps!

3  Thank Safemach
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I traveled to Beijing for four days on business. The room was lovely--beautiful marble showers, comfortable beds, modern decor, fantastic city view. The room service food was mediocre but breakfast buffet was very nice. The rest of this review is my story about the poor service of which the summary is--unless you speak at least adequate Chinese, this hotel is not a good choice.

I chose the hotel because it was supposed to have English speaking staff to support business travelers. But that proven not to be the case. And some of the staff were just poorly trained in general, setting aside the language. I called the concierge to confirm a hotel car for the airport the day before I left--the concierge recited back to the 5am time and terminal. But the next day, the morning concierge had no record of the car and could not (or would not) find a car. The bellman took my bag outside without me and put it in a taxi (also without me). After checking out three times without, then with, then without the car charge (with the 'assistance' of a manager), the hotel found a taxi. The manager walked with me to the taxi and directed the driver to take me to the airport. Halfway to the airport, my colleague texted me to say the hotel did not put my bag in the taxi. (She is Chinese and was worried about the poor hotel service so called the desk to check I'd gotten to the airport.) The hotel said they would send me luggage in a later car and I would have to pay $200RMB and wait for it. When it arrived, the handle was broken so it is no longer a functional roller bag. I barely made last call for my flight.

Note, two weeks ago I sent a request to the Millennium.com customer site for reimbursement on the luggage. They have not responded.

Room Tip: upper rooms have lovely views
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank postgeo
Reviewed 17 August 2011

The hotel is beautifully built - a nice lobby with huge ceilings, a beautiful pool/spa area, very comfortable rooms but the service of the hotel staff was surprisingly bad.

Our room was extremely comfortable and we loved the bathroom. The lighting in the room was extremely dim however and the lack of natural light made it worse (there are tall buildings around the hotel, blocking natural light). There's a little bit of construction in the area which we could hear even on the 19th floor starting at about 7am.

The location is good, as far as I can tell. It's close to shopping, half a block from the subway station and right next to a mall that has a starbucks in it.

There is internet service in the room through an ethernet cable. If you need wi-fi however, the hotel lobby is the only place you can get it.

And now for the worst part, the service. Here are a few examples:

* We tried to ask the concierge and the bell boys to get us a taxi on multiple occasions and were basically told that they couldn't. I ended up going to the street and waving down taxis myself and bringing them back to the hotel for my group.
* When we left the hotel to go to the airport we specifically asked the doorman to tell our cab driver we were going to terminal 3 (cathay pacific) but instead he told the cab driver terminal 2, which is where we got dropped off and had to take car service for an extra 100 Yuan (which is what the original cab fare was) to get to the right terminal and nearly missed our flight out.
* I was leaving breakfast with a small glass of orange juice and was told I can't take the glass up to my room. I understand why this is done but am surprised it's done at a supposedly 5-star hotel. It's not difficult for the room cleaners to deliver an extra glass back to the restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank pbnyc
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I just checked into this Hotel 10 minutes ago. Checking was slow an unorganized. There were five check in staff and they were all doing administrative paperwork as I stood there and waited for five minutes. No one bothered to look up to see if there was anyone standing in front of them. The room is Ok. You will see the same room in Las Vegas at half the price. For a five star hotel, there is a big red wine stain on the carpet in my room. The Marriott,near the American Embassy, is better, IMO.

2  Thank John M
Reviewed 14 August 2011

overall, the hotel is great, as other reviewers have mentioned. the bed was very comfortable, and room very clean. the pool and gym are also very nice.

however, there was a 1000 rmb deposit that was charged to our credit card, and we were told it would take 3 weeks to be credited to our account as we were checking out. i think this is unacceptable. when we checked in, there was no mention of this wait, or an option to pay in cash. in principle, these things should be 1. repaid immediately or 2. properly explained when checking in guests.

front desk staff not particularly friendly, and did not offer any "extra" information about breakfast time or hotel amenities.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple