“Almost perfect”

Grand Millennium Beijing
Ranked #34 of 6,527 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

The facilities are simply fantastic. The room has all the details one could desire. This is also true for the rest of the hotel. The pool was specially nice, which was free for all the guests.

However there were some problems. We requested a non smoking room and when we came into our room, it smelled like a huge ashtray. We were offered another room. However it is shocking that no one from reception made sure that the previous guest had smoked in the room since there is a huge fine for smoking in the room.

This is one example of how the service does not correspond to a five stars hotel. The staff didn't speak English at all in most of the cases. The room service was extremely slow. They only had to bring a couple of ice creams, so they didn't have to cook or prepare anything. These ice creams came melt...

In conclusion, the place is great and you get real value for your money. It is hard to complain in such a wonderful atmosphere, however, I really think there is a lot of room for improvement with the people working there.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
GrdMillenniumBeijing, Public Relations Manager at Grand Millennium Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Alvaropg,

Many thanks for being our guest and we appreciate your time of sharing your candor with your recent stay in this platform. It is our pleasure to learn that the comfort room, nice swimming pool and overall atmosphere were enjoyable to you.

We do apologize for offering the undesirable room and we understand it would be frustrated; we also sorry for the shortcomings you identified here regarding the staff English communication skill as well as the room service efficiency.

We will most certainly explore this further with the team to prevent recurrence wherever possible, and we would love the opportunity to showcase our improvement in the near future. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back!

There are newer reviews for Grand Millennium Beijing

Reviewed 19 August 2014

pro - comfortable bed and the room is spacious , quite some TV channel choices
con - quite "stylish" shower system which took me 2 mintues to figure out how to use and took me a while to find where slippers were ....

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
GrdMillenniumBeijing, Public Relations Manager at Grand Millennium Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Kakunamatata,

It was a pleasure to have welcomed you to our site and to hear that you enjoyed many amenities of our hotel. We also thankful for you bringing some point to our attention and we will certainly share your feedback to our team. But we do hope that the attentive services of our team helped to mitigate this some. We wish all the best for your trip in advance and welcome you coming back soon.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Reason of stay
I have stayed in the hotel 2 nights at a Weekend at the end of a Business trip.

Hotel in general
The lobby looks really great and makes you feel very welcome. Generally the Building left a modern impression from the inside and I would recommend the hotel, if you have business in the area. It is however not a true 5* hotel to me, but considering the price I paid (around 120$) I did not expect that.

Room
Large room with nice decor and a hughe King-size bed with amazing views directly facing the CCTV Tower. Separate bath, shower and washrom facilitiies. Mini-bar prices in the range of 4$ for a beer. I did have free Wi-Fi, but I'm not sure if it's free for everybody or it was part of the deal of the booking-website I used. Check in advance if this is important to you as some hotels in Beijing charge high fees for Wifi. I did not like the smell in the room, especially out of the washroom. I guess it's related to the high humidity and got better depending on how I adjusted the A/C. It smelled very humid, the air condition is noisy, which is definitely attributable to the rather old A/C system. Not 5* for this one. Room was wery clean.

I have not used a great deal of Service other than the reception. The staff did not leave a very friendly impression compared to other hotels I stayed at, but it was not unfriendly either. There were always one or two securitiy people between the lobby and the elevators. I'm ok with security in general, but it has to be more discreet. I don't like being stared at whenever I leave the building and you feel how they follow your way when you go to the ATM, which fealt really weird.

Location
The hotel is located in the between the 2nd and 3rd ring road, which I would consider very central for the size of the city. But as the city is huge, it will take time to get anywhere regardless of where you stay. Great location to catch the subway as the station is just 2 minutes away. Other than that there is pretty much nothing in the area within walking distance other than a Starbucks. Even though it's in the middle of the Central Business District (CBD) it's not like in other cities where you have tons of shopping, eating or coffee shops around. Also there are very few taxis driving around in the area, so you cannot just hold one off, which is strange considering the hughe number of cabs in the city.

Gastronomy
I have not really used the restaurants. Breakfast was 29$, which I'm not willing to pay just to get a coffe and a Croissant. The only place for Breakfast closeby was a Starbucks, which was just fine for me.

Sport&Leisure
I have not used any of the facilities.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Lars K
GrdMillenniumBeijing, Public Relations Manager at Grand Millennium Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at Grand Millennium Beijing!

We are very pleased to hear that you found hotel great and well decorated, that you liked our rooms with nice décor and fantastic view of the city, in which bathroom are functional and bed are large-size and comfy.

Your detailed comment is considered priceless and highly appreciated. Noticed that a few issues you encountered in the stay, we apologize for any inconvenience along with them and have already shared this message with related departments. We take great pride in ensuring our guests’ satisfaction. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your future visits.

Shall there be anything that we are of your assistance, kindly feel free to contact us. We look forward to welcoming you again at Grand Millennium Beijing in the near future!

Reviewed 7 August 2014

3 night stay here on business and was pleasantly surprised. I’ve stayed more central in Beijing before on business, and actually depending on which areas you need to get to, this is a convenient alternative. It’s only 20 - 30 min by taxi from the airport which is a god send with Beijing’s notorious traffic.

I wouldn’t recommend their house car service as it runs at about 6 times the price of a taxi, so stick to the taxi getting to and from the airport.

The hotel is conveniently located with good amenities nearby, iean MRT station, lots of coffee shops, a shopping centre which is interconnected and a few restaurants. Also, if you’re driving to and from meetings, the hotel is well connected to the main roads and highways.

The hotel itself has a decent bar and a nice lounge area. Prices are reasonable, although the dining menu choice is a little limited. Quality of the food isn’t bad. However, I doubt you’d use this hotel to entertain clients from. As a base it’s fine, especially if you want to grab room service at the end of a long day or breakfast before heading out. The choice for breakfast is vast, both Asian and Western and is good value of money. There’s an indoor pool and gym, both decent enough and rarely used, so again, if you’re there a for a few days, it’s worth taking some kit.

I’d definitely recommend a non-smoking room and see if you can get a room on a higher floor. I’d requested a non-smoking but got lumbered with a smoking room for the first night due to the hotel being full. When they did move me the following day, which was great, it was non-smoking on a lower floor but there’s still that strong smoke smell. My colleagues were moved to a non-smoking on a higher floor and it definitely felt fresher up there.

Staff are friendly, although the reception is very slow and always crowded. Checkout on the last day was mobbed and even with 6 desks, there were only 2 manned with about 20 people trying to check out. The VIP decks didn’t seem to want to help. Only other comment on staff was that their English was limited. It seems that only a few people per area spoke good English, which means always having to wait for them to be called over to assist you. Not the end of the world, more frustrating than anything else.

Rooms themselves are large, with a great workspace and seperate bathroom. Bathroom has a walk-in rain shower, toitlet cubicle and bathtub. We actually booked via booking.com which was reasonable. Booking direct with them has higher rates and brings them in line with some of the more established 5* brands so if I had to chose at the normal rate, I’d look elsewhere. The whole hotel is WiFi connected and free for use. Nice touch, especially if you’re working either in your room or networking in the lounge or bar area.

If you can get a deal, need to be closer to the airport and working within the business district surrounding the hotel, this is a good base.

Room Tip: Ask for non-smoking on a higher floor
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. We are glad to know that you liked our convenient location, large rooms and various dining choices apart from other issues you have encountered here. We apologize for any inconvenience brought to you and share this note with all departments involved. Kindly do not hesitate to contact us if you have anything that we are of your assistance.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel but not near to shopping mall.
For stay really excellent.. can rest.. clean.. helpfull staff.. nice restaurant inside.
Bed so soft. Good amenities..
Really nice bedroom like in paradise.
Very recommended for business trip but not nice for family stay.
Overall good hotel.. not expensive also

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ari R

Thank you for the fabulous review. Your comments are extremely important to us, and we want to thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. I will be sure to share your wonderful comments with our staff, as your kind words are much appreciated. You are more than welcomed to come back soonest!

Reviewed 26 July 2014

I stayed in the deluxe room, the room was a little small but comfortable. I absolutely loved the bathroom! loved that the bathtub is by the window,very spacious with great amenities.
I had room service and the food was okay, could be better.
The location of this hotel is very central. There are many restaurants around the area and a mall within walking distance. Very convenient.

But overall I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
GrdMillenniumBeijing, Public Relations Manager at Grand Millennium Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Jjeisse,

Many thanks for being our guest and taking your precious time to share such a positive review with us and other passionate travelers. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay, especially our room design and spacious bathroom with the fabulous view of the city. Whether you're with us for business or leisure, we pride ourselves in creating an incomparable guest experience. We look forward to welcoming you again soon at Grand Millennium Beijing, and we will be so honored to have another opportunity to show you our superb hospitality.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Spent 2 nights in club room this Feb, facing CCTV building,
standard 5 star hotel, room not too big but wash room pretty nice, bath tub is beside the full size windows. TV is a tad small and if you wash an cloths in the room it will be difficult to hang them.

Not much drink in lounge, breakfast is good spread, Pretty standard 5 star, equipments in pool areas is nice, sauna, steam rooms are spacious and the change area is also large. Just they will charge you around 100 YUAN (maybe 12USD) to sell you a "compulsory swimming cap" if you wish to swim there/

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
GrdMillenniumBeijing, Public Relations Manager at Grand Millennium Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Savage,

Such a pleasure to hear from you and your wife the visit in Grand Millennium Beijing this February! It is great that you were able to take advantage of many of our offerings such as equipments in pool, sauna, steam room, etc, which was both playful and relaxing for you. Your comment is considered priceless and much appreciated. Noticed a few issues that you encountered in the stay, sorry for any inconvenience along with them and we've already shared this message with Rooms Division as to enhance our entire service quality and guest satisfaction. You will be warmly welcomed back in the near future and please allow us shower you all blessings. Shall there be anything that we are of your assistance, kindly feel free to contact us.