“In the Paris of Beijing...”
Review of Courtyard 7

Courtyard 7
Ranked #23 of 6,520 Hotels in Beijing
Hong kong
“In the Paris of Beijing...”
Reviewed 27 October 2010

My husband and I have visited Beijing 3 times, and stayed at the the St Regis, and another five star hotel, we liked this place better! We had our 12 year old daughter with us on this trip and wanted more of a Chinese experience, so I thought staying in the Hutong neighborhood wool be great. Our taxi took us to the lane, and dropped us near the hotel (a car can't get down the road). My daughter was already worried that this wasn't "nice enough", she was VERY wrong. It is beautiful! Redone in a very traditional style, with all of the western amenities. You could pretend you had stepped back in time. It is also located off of a wonderful, safe street in the hutong neighborhood. Fun shopping, restaurants, and bars. It really did feel like a little bit of Paris in Beijing. We were also told by our guide that a lot of government officials are living in these areas (explains why they are so nice and safe). Does this hotel have all of the things a St Regis does? No, but it has charm, and personality to beat any 5 star hotel. Truly, the most favorite place we have stayed in our travels, and super for a group or family... Just a perfect atmosphere... ( the only people I would not recommend this hotel to would be honeymooners, because it is a courtyard, it has more of a family feel)

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank GkbatesHongkong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Englewood, FL
Reviewed 24 October 2010

We spent 6 nights in Beijing after a cruise and did not want to stay in a cold, western hotel. Courtyard 7 was the perfect choice for us. The staff were warm, friendly and very helpful. Our room was good size, and the bed was firm, but more comfortable than the cruise ship! The bathroom was modern with glass, mosaic tiles in the shower. The room was cleaned and fresh towels provided daily. We enjoyed the breakfast, which was included. There were meats, including bacon most mornings, omelets made to order, cereals, fresh fruits and breads. We also ate at the restaurant two nights. The menu has some English translation, but as we found elsewhere in Beijing, sometimes you don't get what you are expecting. However, the staff would help us with our ordering and we enjoyed the food. We arrived a little early and our room wasn't quite ready, but we were able to wait in the courtyard about 30 minutes until the room was ready for us. The location was great, close to lots of boutiques and restaurants. We walked to the Forbidden City, but it was a bit of a hike, not for everyone. The subway system is not too far away, and we used the subway a lot. Internet and computers are available at no charge in the restaurant. We brought our own computer and we were able to connect to the internet in our room using a cable at no charge.

It was a great place to base our visit to Beijing, and we would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 24 October 2010

Only summarise like this i was very happy with the Courtyard 7.

They gave us a clean, friendly place to stay and this hotel is in a not bad location.

The room was simple but good with all the things we need. Whenever thing we request extra they always serve really quickly (such as extra tower or toilet paper)

Breakfast was pretty dull as not like in HongKong or in Western style but for Beijing, in China, there are tons of other food you can try.

Anyway, good place !

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 October 2010

The hotel was lovely with a diffent style. It's located in a small lane, quiet and peaceful. The staff were courteous, friendly and helpful. I was made to feel welcome and like at home, well english speaking. The room always clean and neat. I would make the hotel my first stop for sure and recommend it.

• Stayed September 2010
Sydney
Reviewed 9 October 2010

I have chosen this hotel after reading reviews from this website and I was very pleased that I have stayed in this hotel. I stayed there for 5 nights. The location of the hotel was a small side lane attached to a treandy restaurants and bar strip of Beijing.
I have always preferred boutique hotels over big 5 star hotels. This hotel was just perfect, a former courtyard residence made into a charming hotel. The room was small (standard room) but comfortable. I loved the bathroom deco and traditional Chinese bed. It was so hot while I was in Beijing and it was lovely to come back to this comfortable air-conditioned hotel room. Even though the hotel is situated in the middle of one of the busiest areas of Beijing, it was surprisingly quiet. I was always glad to be back in the hotel after my outings.
Breakfast was included in the rate. I was advised that it is continental breakfast but actually it was full breakfast. The resident chef made me a delicious omelette every morning.
The hotel staff were outstanding. They were kind, polite and helpful. They made my stay as comfortable as possible. I would like to thank the staff for making my stay so enjoyable. I have travelled different parts of the world and this is one of the best experiences I had. If I ever go back to Beijing, I will definitely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
australia
Reviewed 1 October 2010

A really lovely small hotel. We stayed here with our 4 children, who were made very welcome and had a great time exploring both the hotel and the area. The kids had one of the 'bigger' rooms on the first courtyard and we had a small room to the side of the second courtyard. Both were lovely, beautifully furnished and nice bathroom and good quality bath products and tea making bits and pieces. The rooms are on the small side, but are extended by verandas with seating and the courtyard spaces themselves become part of the living area. Breakfast was ok (good omlettes!). We ate dinner in once when it was pouring with rain, the dishes were a bit hit and miss, but the bar is fine and the ambience lovely. I'd recommend a drink then step out to any one of the hundreds of restaurants and cafes along Nanluogu st, the very trendy cobblestoned hutong street that the hotel sits off, where you will find everything from regional chinese to the ubiquitous irish pub and even a cafe broadcasting Aussie Rules footy matches (much to my son's delight). While that all might sound kinda tacky, the area really does retain a lot of charm and there is little doubt that gentrification has saved this area from the total demolition that is going on in surrounding hutong areas.
It's a bit of a walk to the nearest subway (but not un-doable), the Beijing subway system is great -on time, cheap and easy to navigate. But you could easily spend most of your time wandering close to home anyway. Houhai lake area, Beihei park and the drum tower are on the doorstep. The Forbidden city is not too far away.
Staff were very welcoming and helpful with info and organising early morning airport taxis, peking duck bookings etc. We had a lovely relaxing time here.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank trixie22
Shanghai
Reviewed 24 September 2010

We stayed here in September while showing Beijing to the family. For a more authentic chinese experience then some of the big 5 star chain, this is the place. Rooms are set around a courtyard right in the middle of the hutongs. We stayed in the smallest rooms which were fine - 4 poster chinese style beds and proper bathrooms. I imagine the bigger suites would be fantastic. But what makes this place really great and a true gem in China is the lovely staff. From the moment you arrive, staff are ready to help - many speak good english and all are friendly and proactive. I would not hesitate to recommend this place (at least in the summer months - I wonder whether it is a little cold in winter?) - I think it a superb base from which to explore the city.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family