“The Opposite House - truly amazing, fabulous, spectacular”
Review of The Opposite House

The Opposite House
Ranked #2 of 6,568 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 1 January 2012

My wife and I visited Hong Kong and Beijing on vacation, and after staying at the infamous Peninsula in Hong Kong, we were nervous about what to expect in the harsher-seeming Beijing. When we got into the city it was freezing cold and dark, and we were tired from a day of travel. So we were truly blown away upon entering The Opposite House. Not only is every single aspect of the building fantastic, our hotel room was the most amazing I've ever stayed in. Every detail throughout the hotel is attended to, and the staff could not have been more inviting and helpful. The front desk (despite the fact everything is wireless and they don't even have a front desk!) and concierge are out of this world, attending to every whim and need. We were so impressed by our room that we now want to remodel our home to look like it!

One of the coolest parts of the hotel is the pool. We've never seen anything like this before! It's a must see.

The location is fabulous - sandwiched between two new outdoor/indoor malls with tons of high-end shopping and restaurants (Miu Miu, Alexander Wang, Apple, Balenciaga, etc.).

We ate breakfast each morning in the hotel's lobby restaurant and the food was superb, not to mention so reasonably priced.

We highly, highly recommend The Opposite House to anyone traveling to Beijing. It is located in the Sanlitun area with subway just a 10 minute walk away.

One highlight of the hotel to note is that the in-room mini bar is FREE! With lots of beer, sodas and water.

Room Tip: We stayed in the smallest room and it felt HUGE.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 December 2011

I'm not a big fan of cool/design/fashion hotels but I'd definitely make an exeption for this one
All is very nuce, hotel il large, impressive all but still remail cosy, even if a bit on a cold side
Amazing rooms, nice restaurants (please less air cond in the asian restaurant...we were freezing...)
very nice location to tour the city but also for business.
Would definitely suggest this place and probably go back next year

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I’m a hospitality designer/ hotel junkie and I do enjoy sampling the guest experience everywhere I find myself.

I like Beijing, but my stay was made even better with the Opposite House. The service, even when you arrive after midnight, was great and attentive. I had called for a clothes steamer for my suit and one appeared in minutes. I do appreciate the little touches – there was a wonderful face mask on my bedside table with a hand written Post-It saying ‘ had a long day?’ It’s that attention and care that makes me come back each time.

After a day’s trek around MuTianYu, I found on my desk, a lovely little box, with a handwritten note from the manager wishing me a pleasant evening – inside the box was a yummy cupcake to make anyone smile.

The building by Kengo Kuma has a wonderful emerald green glass exterior, that belies the size of the interior spaces. The lovely rooms are sparsely furnished, but spacious and well appointed – I admire great design and The Opposite House aesthete is just in my alley of what a modern hotel should be. The wooden bathtubs and sinks are simple and exquisite, while the handwoven amenities bag is full of things one needs for cleaning up.

I am in love with their luxury skincare line which is named after the Ba Yan Ka La mountain range on the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau in far off Qinghai Province. The products are well made, full of goodness and supports a community, with great packaging.

The Swire Hotel group really gets what business travel is about – great service, free WiFi, a young but helpfully cool + unobtrusive staff, good Med food at Sureno, a great bar called Mesh and a wonderful cavernous lobby filled with simple art installations by noted artists. If you need retail therapy, The Village, right beside it beckons, with all of the brands you care to name and some more local ones too.

For me, there has yet to be a hotel in Asia to beat out The Opposite House, and until then, I remain a fan.

Room Tip: Take the 70 rooms - they're bigger, great space you won't find in many hotel rooms of that t...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Step in from the hustle and be enveloped in chic calm. Wonderful bed. Reasonable gym. Great pool. Staff really helpful.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 25 December 2011

Stayed at the hotel on business and enjoyed the experience quite well. The hotel is impeccably tidy, new, technologically advanced, and very comfortable and soothing. The breakfast was not too fancy but had a decent variety for all tastes. Service was a priority and we were well taken care of. Location was convenient and close to restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 17 December 2011

Ever can't find a hotel and its door? That would be us. For some reason, the taxi we were in was not familiar with the location. Traffic on roads and mrt is a killer in Beijing so we decided to stay at Sanlitun on our last day so that everything is within walking distance.
Hotel design is modern, minimalistic and quirky in its own way and this is the 1st hotel I have seen that does not seem to have the conventional reception and lobby. Wood forms the primary composition of the room, even the bathtub.
Location wise, it is walkable to Da Dong. Coasta Coffee is next to the hotel. Sanlitun Village has a sufficient variety of drinking holes, restaurants and shops.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Location is great as the hotel is right at the heart of Sanlitun, arguably the center of entertainment in BJ. Many good wine and dine places are within walking distance, and you don't need to suffer the terrible traffic in BJ at all. The interior design of the room is fancy but some functionalities and details are not as good as its sister hotel (Upper House) in HK. As for value for money, I would not rate it high as sometimes the room rate can be very pricy. Better to look for price discount through different online booking sites and package deals with airlines.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple