“Conflicting emotions”
Review of The Opposite House

The Opposite House
Ranked #2 of 6,599 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 31 December 2013

In terms of the hotel ambiance and room I would give them a Very Good, but juxtaposed with the fact that we had a serious, serious issue with our booking, which was Terrible, so I evened out at "poor".

Now let me be clear and upfront that the poor ranking here is in direct relation to my experience, not the property itself as a whole.

I was in Hong Kong on business and unsure of what day I needed to fly up to Beijing for a dinner. I found out late one Friday that I needed to be in Beijing the next day. So when I got to my room that night I went online and booked a room at the Opposite House. I booked at Agoda.com. I immediately received a confirmation email, and then about 15 minutes later I received a second email confirming my booking that had a PDF confirmation attached which mentioned among other things that the room was booked and guaranteed.

I printed out the PDF the next morning and got on a plane to Beijing around noon. When I landed in Beijing I opened up my email and found an email from Agoda that said verbatim: "We are sorry that hotel just inform us they are fully booked. However we found an alternative hotel for you: Hotel New Otani Chang Fu Gong".

We had picked Opposite House over Four Seasons and Shangri-La, and obviously had no intention of staying at some New Otani hotel I had never heard of despite living in Beijing for 10 years.

I immediately called the hotel to let them know that it was unacceptable to cancel a room after confirming, but they refused to budge. Basically they just punted responsibility to Agoda, who then dumped it off on me. I called Opposite back again and after a few minutes spoke to their manager who said he would try his best and would call me back either way. Instead, 20 minutes late he had someone on his staff call Agoda and asked them to call me again to tell me that there was nothing they could do rather than have himself, or one of his staff call me directly. I called him back after getting off the phone with Agoda and basically said that was unacceptable and I was coming to the hotel either way.

He finally called me back 15 minutes later and said they had found a room for me.

In all it took me around an hour on the phone to straighten the whole thing out. The Opposite House blamed Agoda, but if there had been a problem I find it hard to understand how it took them 15 hours to realize it. I put the blame, as I understand it, completely on the Oppposite House and not Agoda as if they are not prepared to honor a reservation, they shouldnt let Agoda make it.

In the end Opposite House COMPLETELY made good by giving us an upgrade and some small discount. And in some respects I want to say that because they fixed the problem in the end that all is well that ends well. But the truth is that before they fixed the problem they basically tried to railroad and big league myself and Agoda and think they could just make me go away by saying no over and over and over again. Any person who isn't as crazily persistent and angry about people lying would just have been out of luck, and only through unending persistence was I able to get the room that I had rightfully booked and paid for. If there was an issue between Agoda and Opposite House, they should have handled it between those parties and not try and use me as a pawn in the middle.

All in all the room was nice. It was quite stark and modern, not really my take and I think for what they charge you could stay almost anywhere else in Beijing. But the location is great and for those who enjoy that kind of thing I would recommend it. Just make sure you triple check your confirmation before you go.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank liaobuqi
Write a ReviewReviews (1,005)

Reviewed 31 December 2013

When traveling for business I value location, vibe, facilities, and being in the architecture industry for sure I value design. The Opposite House is the perfect mix of all these. Designed by renowned architect Kengo Kuma, you will find a unique hotel where everything has been carefully designed. From the texture of the walls to the amenity bag. The cafe by the lobby is perfect for meetings through the day, and the bar is very comfortable to meet with business partners during the late afternoon. In this aspect, I find it a unique finding in the city as I don't like big corporate chain hotels.

I've stayed in mid and high range hotels in the city, but this one beats it. If you are young and have an active business life, this is the place in Beijing.

The location is great, right next to the Sanlitun Soho development with many stores, restaurants and bars, and only minutes away from Tiananmen Square and other important parts of the city.

The staff is super friendly, and they will accommodate any request you might have. Need to get a taxi to a particular location? No problem. Need recommendations in the city? They will do their best to help you.

Minibar is included, be sure to grab a Tsingtao beer along with the wasabi fava beans to close a hard day.

Room Tip: Stayed in the 4th floor facing Sanlitun Soho. I thought it could be noisy at night, but the hotel is...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Stayed here for two nights in one of 70Sqm studio rooms. Finish of rooms superb. Very comfortable beds. Very interesting design of building and fascinating artworks. A very unusual feature is the complimentary minibar in the room. Staff very welcoming and friendly. A very short trip from the airport compared to many other hotels in town Definitely be returning...

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Stunning hotel in the middle of Beijings Sanlitun Shopping and party district.
You can fight about the design of the hotel, but the service is one of the best ever experienced. Very nice, supportive and just happy staff will help you with all you need in Beijing.

Enjoy food at one of the great restaurants in the hotel or ask the reception for other options around the hotel!

Dont miss the full metal swimming pool in the basement. "relax under stars";-)

Really the place to stay if you can't sleep at home!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Opposite House for 3 nights in August and we had a fabulous stay. We emailed with the hotel prior to our arrival and they recommended some fabulous restaurants and arranged a tour of The Great Wall and the Forbidden City, so we had nothing to worry about when we got there. The staff at the hotel were all great, very polite and helpful, and English was not a problem. The hotel was immaculate and extremely comfortable. Spotless and modern but homey at the same time. We had breakfast in the mornings, which was light and delicious and we ate at the Italian restaurant one night for dinner when we were so exhausted after sightseeing, also delicious. We had drinks at the bar one night too, the scene was very cool and drinks were tasty. The tours were EXCELLENT. I highly recommended having the hotel arrange your tour with Jerry. His English is perfect, he's super knowledgeable, friendly and fun. Our private car and driver from the hotel made the stay great too since it was so hot. Perfect AC and fresh bottles of water whenever we got n the car. While one of our days was smoggy, it didn't bother us and we enjoyed the sights, shopping and restaurants near the hotel. Overall, I highly recommend The Opposite House. It was the best!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This is what you would expect from Swire Hotels, a subsidiary of the Swire Property Group, a major property developer based in Hong Kong. They are also running a top-rated sister hotel in Hong Kong, the Upper House.

Pros:
1. Up market and trendy location in the middle of Sanlitun Village - great shops, restaurants and an underground supermarket.
2. Extremely quiet rooms - no bustling streets downstairs as the hotel is surrounded by promenade.
3. Very spacious rooms - even if you go for the standard room type.
4. Huge onsen style wooden bath tub - they even put a toy duck there to give you company!
5. Complimentary minibar - local and imported beers, beverages and snacks generously refilled everyday.
6. Free in-room iPad - though you will probably bring along your own device.
7. Full range of sockets - just next to the writing desk - no need to pack your own travel adaptors.

Cons (barely):
1. It might be a bit chilly when you get out of the shower during winter - open plan bathroom without any door.

Service was excellent. A young and enthusiastic team headed by a manageress (apparently trained and relocated from Hong Kong) with fluent English. When they knew I had left my credit card in a countryside restaurant miles away, they took every step to make sure I got it back from locals (which I did on the same evening).

Tips: Make sure you order your breakfast from the menu (if your package includes breakfast). Your choice is not limited to those few items on the buffet table. No extra charge for any item from the menu.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 December 2013

The opposite house is a boutique hotel and is the creation of renowned japonese Architect Kengo Kuma. the room are spacious and very Zen and well adapt to conduct business in the center of Beijing and well located in the well known Sanlitun Village. The room are very simple and the use of wood is everywhere including the bath and the vanity and the sinks (not really efficient for hotel use)
The suite on the 6 floors are very bright and efficient for working and doing business with a long working table and a long bar style of table.
Sureno the Mediterranean restaurant is excellent and even if you do not stay in the hotel it is worth to try it. Jing Yaa Tang provide as well the best duck in Town with an open wooden oven.
The service is great and very personalized.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business