“The best hotel in the best part of town”
Review of The Opposite House

The Opposite House
Ranked #3 of 6,483 Hotels in Beijing
Beijing, China
“The best hotel in the best part of town”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My family stayed here during a recent trip to Beijing and we had a wonderful time from the minute we arrived.
The service from the outset was impeccable: from walking through the enormous wooden double doors and checking-in in the huge atrium lobby, all the way through to fond farewells with the staff at the end of our stay, we felt so welcome throughout.
The rooms were fantastic - contemporary and cool but also very comfortable and relaxed. The wooden bath a particularly nice feature especially when combined with the complimentary minibar!
In terms of location its absolutely fantastic too. Whether you want to stroll around the shops and cafes on the hotel's doorstep, or take a cab/subway to see the sights around town, it couldnt be more convenient. And despitebeing in the middle of the most lively part of the city, the rooms were always quiet and peaceful.
The spa and pool were incredibly relaxing, and Sureno must be one of our favourite resturants in the city.
Special thanks to Matthew Bell for all his helpfulness, kindness and assistance during our stay We have many lovely memories from a fantastic hotel and world-class staff - and cant wait to visit again soon.
Ps. cheers to the hero maintenance staff with some huge boltcutters who helped open our suitcase after i lost the keys! saved my blushes

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Philipp B, Executive Assistant Manager at The Opposite House, responded to this review, 15 September 2014
Dear TomR_014

Many thanks for the positive review on behalf of The Opposite House. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your Opposite House experience. We are particularly glad to hear that you enjoyed the service, the food, the room and the design of the hotel. Please rest assured that we will share your positive feedback to the team and in particular Matt Bell.

We look forward to welcome you back for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to get in touch with me directly for any rooms or restaurant inquiries (philippblaser@swirehotels.com).

Executive Assistant Manager - The Opposite House

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Florence, Italy
Reviewed 29 June 2014

A great hotel in a great location!
Rooms are big and beautifull. Clean and quite despite the area is quite buzzy.
Servise is excellent.
Breakfast has a wide selection and restaurant is very nice althought a bit expensive.
The only problem that I faced has been a disfunction on WIFI.
It was not possible to use it during the day, only on late night.
I've been told that is a problem of chinese govenrment but I never had that kind of problem in other hotels.
Staff has done all that was possible for them without a result.
This kingd of hotel must NOT have this kind of problem!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Philipp B, Executive Assistant Manager at The Opposite House, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Maurizio S

Many thanks for the positive review on behalf of The Opposite House. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your Opposite House experience. We are particularly glad to hear that you enjoyed the service, the food, the room and the design of the hotel. Please rest assured that we will share your positive feedback to the team. I would also like to take this opportunity to apologize for the internet speed which we are working on to improve in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We had dinner in Sureno tonight and the food was great. The restaurant decor is cool and modern and is a very relaxing environment within a bustling city which is a pleasure to enter. The wood fire pizza was great as was the service from the excellent staff who were always on hand to help.
The hotel itself is amazing with a fantastic art display in the lobby, and if you are lucky enough to be able to stay there then you are in for a wonderful stay.

Dear David S

Many thanks for the positive review on behalf of The Opposite House. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your Opposite House experience. We are particularly glad to hear that you enjoyed the food and service in Sureno. Please rest assured that we will share your positive feedback to the team. Additionally many thanks for your positive comments on our current contemporary Chinese art on display.

Paris, France
Reviewed 18 June 2014

As I arrived at the hotel on a Sunday afternoon, I saw two people hugging at the entrance and a moment later, one introduced herself as a Guest Experience team member. I would not have guessed in the moment that four days later, I would be doing the same, such is the personal attention at this exceptional hotel.

My room was simply stunning, with a fantastic view over the Sanlitun shopping area, and plenty of space for me to practice yoga, and also a very enticing square wooden bath. There was plenty of room on my work desk, and when I realised I needed to access some websites banned in China, the wonderful manager Frank Fang came straight up to help.

Breakfast the next morning int he Village Cafe was simply glorious, a wide variety of fruits, yummy green smoothies and delicious smoked salmon, as well as beautiful baked goods including gluten free options. In fact, the BEST gluten free muffins I have ever tasted. Bravo to the pastry chef.

Whenever I had a question, there always seemed to be someone from the hotel's innovative Guest Experience team there to answer, or even show me around Sanlitun. Nothing was too much to ask and everyone treated me with such authentic hospitality that I really did feel I was in someone's very large, very stylish home.

My two dinners in the hotel were equally delectable. Having lived in Beijing in the past, I can say the duck at Jing Yaa Tang is among the best in China, and the other dishes were equally scrumptious. Same must be said for the Greek specialties at Sureno, where the manager's own mother was visiting from Greece and cooked a divine meat stew for me.

Another time, I had a chance to meet some friends for afternoon coffee at the cafe and it was packed with frankly gorgeous people -- I was really impressed that at 3pm on a Tuesday, this hotel restaurant had so much buzz. Anyone who cares about being 'seen' in Beijing would do well to turn up here, just about any time of day.

One my last day, I had a late check out so the Guest Experience team offered to allow me to use another room in the latter part of the day, which was very thoughtful. I was tied up with meetings but I felt very comfortable given the service I'd had thus far, to let the housekeeping team move my belongings. GOOD MOVE on my part. Julian, the housekeeper, did a better job packing my suitcase than I ever have in my entire life -- I do so wish I could have packed her up and taken her with me just for this incredible service. I liked this other corner room too.

And so it was me four days later, hugging Eva Chan and Frank Fang goodby, thanking them for my incredible stay, and promising to come back very soon -- in two months time to be exact. I can't think of a better place to stay on business in Beijing, and I'd recommend it just as highly for anyone simply here to explore the city. Certainly this is not your grandparents five star hotel, but for anyone eager to leave impersonal service in the past, this really does feel like coming home.

2 Thank PoppyHopper
Dear PoppyHopper

Many thanks for the positive review on behalf of The Opposite House. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your Opposite House experience. We are very happy that you appreciated the service from all aspects of the hotel in particular the personal service provided to you by Eva, Frank and the Guest Experience team. Additionally thank you for being such a vivid fan of our restaurants. The Village Café in conjunction with the pastry and bakery team are constantly working on new and fresh products for our breakfast selection. We are also very happy that you got to experience Themis' mother guest chef week in Sureno. Glad that you also enjoyed Jing Yaa Tang our newest restaurant addition and its duck - a definite must when visiting Beijing. Also please rest assure we will share your positive feedback to Julian and her team for their thoughtfulness.

We look forward to welcome you back to your home in the Capital in the near future. Please do not hesitate to get in touch with me directly for any rooms or restaurant inquiries (philippblaser@swirehotels.com).

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Really enjoyed 4 days at the Opposite House in Beijing. Referred by a friend who is regularly in Beijing, we were delighted with all aspects of our stay.

Par amount was the service provided by the staff. Nothing was too much trouble and always with a friendly smile. I was amazed at how many of their team remembered our names during our stay - which is a good indicator of how hard the hotel is trying to really care for guests.

Our room was large and bright and very well appointed

Located in the Embassy district and very central for most attractions.

Also several really good restaurants in house (see separate review)

Loved our time at The Opposite House

Dear PeterR931

Many thanks for the positive review on behalf of The Opposite House. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your Opposite House experience. We are particularly glad to hear that you enjoyed the service and the restaurants. Please rest assured that we will share your positive feedback to the team. In addition, many thanks for the positive reviews on the restaurants.

Rome, Italy
Reviewed 11 June 2014

stayed 1 night in this stylish, very contemporary hotel.

the hotel is furnished in scandinavian style with plenty of wood. it has all hi-tech stuff you may need abroad e.g. a set of sockets for all plugs you may have. a tablet in the room with an app with all neighbourhing restaurants and link to reservation. it is not elegant however. it does not have the luxury or the amenities of a westin. it is located in a fashion district. very close to a very nice commercial centre. it is in a peaceful neighborhood with all embassies. still at night the room was a bit noisy may be because of all the neighboring bars.

it is very far from the financial district. therefore if on a business trip to the bejing financial district you should account for a 45m taxi ride from the hotel to the financial district.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the 6th floor. they may be quieter
1 Thank Guido D
Dear Guido D

Many thanks for the positive review on behalf of The Opposite House. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your Opposite House experience. In particular we are happy to hear that you enjoyed the design of the hotel. Also many thanks for your feedback on the in-room iPad App - we are constantly looking at ways to improve our product. Unfortunately the Financial District is a little far from Sanlitun and CBD District especially in rush hour due to traffic.

Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 4 June 2014

stayed in 2010 for a long weekend during winter. the room was warm, decor felt very zen, woody interior, spacious feel and the bed large/comfortable. not a cozy feel but certainly peaceful. check-in was in a lounge via a tablet, back then that was considered quite advanced but more common nowadays.

the lounge bar Mesh, connected to the hotel is good for afew drinks to kick-off a night out.

afew minutes walk to the sanlitun shopping and dining area which is convenient. but otherwise need to take some mode of transport to other sights and/major areas within the city.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear Yvonne K

Many thanks for the positive review on behalf of The Opposite House. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your Opposite House experience. We are particularly glad to hear that you enjoyed Mesh, the design of the hotel and its interiors. We are disappointed to hear that you did not find the location of the hotel convenient. Please rest assured that Sanlitun and Taikooli have made huge improvements since your visit in 2010 - definitely very popular destination. I highly recommend you come and give us a visit in the near future.