“Nice boutique hotel in Sanlitun but there are problems”
Review of The Opposite House

The Opposite House
Ranked #2 of 6,461 Hotels in Beijing
Hong Kong, China
“Nice boutique hotel in Sanlitun but there are problems”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Being the sister hotel of Hong Kong's The Upper House, I had high hopes for The Opposite House and so I decided to do a staycation in Beijing. We checked in for a night and we were grateful of the complimentary upgrade to suite 70. Rooms are of very chic, minimalistic design, just my kind of tea - but if you are looking for something grand and over-the-top this place may not be your thing. Another concern for some travellers could be privacy - the bathroom and living area adopt a relatively open design.
I was very impressed with the up-keeping of the hotel given that it has been in operation since 2008. Minibar is complimentary, and wifi is free. Service staff are sincere and genuine. The room rate is hefty, but my first impression of The Opposite House was indeed quite positive.

When we got back to the room after dinner at Jing Yaa Tang, I realised something is not right - the noise. The location in Sanlitun is perfect in a way that you are so close to the shopping/dining/nightlife district in Beijing - but it comes with the problem of noise. We were on the 3rd floor and I could literally here the basses thumping from the club scene outside. There was no choice but to ask for a room change and I must say I am utterly grateful my request was entertained.
Our second room, which was also on the 3rd floor, was devoid of the nightclub fever but it wasn't entirely silent either. I could hear street-cleaning trucks working till 1am. I am not sure whether it was to do with our rooms located at relative lower floors, but The Opposite House is not a high-rise hotel itself and I am guessing a number of rooms could easily have had to deal with our situation.

I also feel like quite a lot has to be improved with Kocoon Spa. First of all for guests safety I think it is important to ask guests whether they have any medical concerns before commencement of therapy. Their strength preference for massages, and also whether they have any particularly body parts they want to focus on are important areas to address beforehand as well. The quality of therapists was also variable, and all-in-all, this was not the kind of spa experience I expected from a 5-star hotel.

Overall The Opposite House is a nice boutique hotel - but given its associated with The Upper House I was probably expecting a bit too much from it.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the quieter side.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Philipp B, Executive Assistant Manager at The Opposite House, responded to this review, 15 September 2014
Dear Cowardjai

I would also like to take this opportunity to apologize for the noise of the bar street. We are working closely with the local police to minimize noise from the bar street. In addition, many thanks for your comments on Kocoon Spa. Please rest assure that your comments have been addressed.

Executive Assistant Manager - The Opposite House

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Finally, I have found the hotel I have been looking for in China! A boutique feel with great service starting the moment you arrive. This is further complemented by great rooms, excellent wifi, fantastic restaurants, and a location that provides options to wander, shop, eat, and drink. I just left a three-night stay and it was fantastic. Beginning with the VIP airport pick-up where you are met at the gate and ushered until you exit a private VIP area and ending with a return trip to the airport where the desk manager went to get us fresh Italian coffee to take with us in the car, without having to ask! Within the hotel you will find modern Asian art that is ultra-interesting and creates a great vibe. Also, the restaurants were all excellent, but especially the Mediterranean offering, where the food quality was superb and was complemented by a great wine offering from Italy and other locales. Outside of the hotel there are high-end designer shops and nice modern restaurants to choose from. Alternatively, you are steps from Bar Street, with a host of small bars, eateries, and street vendors. One suggestion for those opting for this hotel; request a room on the back of the hotel or on the right side (if you are looking at the entrance) to ensure you don't get any noise from Bar Street. With that said, I was right next to it and while you could hear it, it was certainly not an issue for me as it was dampened by the windows. The Opposite House is my new home when in Beijing.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Russell P
Dear Russell P

Many thanks for the positive review on behalf of The Opposite House. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your Opposite House experience from airport pick-up to your meal in Sureño . We are particularly glad to hear that you enjoyed the service, the room and the design of the hotel. Please rest assured that we will share your positive feedback to the team.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Hotel is what you expect: modern, large rooms, comfy beds, nice bathroom (wooden bathtub and sinks), complimentary cute toilet case, good toiletry, floor-to-celling glass windows, large tv and sound system, all inclusive minibar, friendly and helpful staff and located in the heart of a luxury shopping center.

The negative side is you need to afford it. I have been to many high-end hotels and in the end I found this one a bit pricy considering: breakfast is not always included (around 60/70USD per pax if I remember well) despite of room price, some furniture and walls in the room need to be replaced or repainted (desk and closet doors had large scratches, white walls with black marks...), nonfunctional lamp was left in the room, not fully sound proof windows, pool is not warmed, no specific discount at any of the restaurants or bars in the hotel or in the shopping center (which is owned by the same group: Swire Properties).

Ask for a corner room, they are more enlightened and have much larger windows. I guess last floor (6th) is more quiet from street noise (but very quiet at night).

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LaTyyy
Dear LaTyyy

Many thanks for your review on behalf of The Opposite House. We are constantly working on the up-keep of the hotel and apologize if your particular room was not up to your expectation. Also wanted to share with you that our pool is heated at a constant temperature of 28˚C and the breakfast package for in-room guests is at RMB 180 + 15% service charge (just under USD 35 including service charge). Unfortunately we do not offer discounts to the stores in the Taikoo Li mall or to the restaurants yet we would like to keep you informed if there are any specific promotions happening around The Opposite House in the future.

Overall It is great to hear that you enjoyed your Opposite House experience. We are particularly glad to hear that you enjoyed the locality, the service, the room and the design of the hotel. We look forward to welcome you back for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to get in touch with me directly for any rooms or restaurant inquiries (philippblaser@swirehotels.com).

Shanghai
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Friends treated us to breakfast here, the price was surprisingly good. The food was clean and very good, I loved the tea there! We heard from friends that Bob Dylan, Elton John, Beyoncé stayed here before,that's even more awesome! The decoration in the lobby is really Chinese style and modern! We will definitely go back again!

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Alicewon

Many thanks for the positive review on behalf of The Opposite House. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your Opposite House experience. We are particularly glad to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast in the Village Café. Please rest assured that we will share your positive feedback to the team. Next time in Beijing please be sure to try our Chinese restaurant Jing Yaa Tang - something not to be missed.

Hong Kong
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The soundproofing of this hotel is very poor despite I stay at the top floor. One night there were some crowds watching World Cup final match outside the hotel (probably in a pub or somewhere), my sleep was disturbed by their loud screaming and yell. Besides, the hotel staff seems not to be knowledgable enough as they don't know the Opposite House as part of the Swire Hotel portfolio has a partnership with Asia Miles where guests paying eligible rate will get 500 Asia Miles per stay. I raised this issue to guest experience staff but they insisted that there were no such partnership. Other than above, my stay was a pleasant one and I may return to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Happyshanzhui

Many thanks for your review on behalf of The Opposite House. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize about the noise disturbance during your stay. We are working closely with the local police to minimize the noise on the streets especially during special sport events (World Cup etc). It is great to hear that besides the noise issue you enjoyed your Opposite House experience. Please also rest assured that we have shared your comments to the team concerning Asia Miles credits.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed in the opposite house a few nights. It is a very good hotel and the rooms are specious and comfortable. The area is great and near the hotel there is an upmarket area with some great places to eat and shop (although the luxury tax in mainland China is 30% so you can get the same items cheaper in Hong Kong ). The breakfast is also great and the Chinese restaurant in the hotel has has very good food and service. The bar has an outdoor area which is real fun. However it is not at the top standard of its sister hotel upper house in Hong Kong in terms of service, little gifts in the minibar and overall quality of rooms. Also the Gym does not have a good air conditioning. The pool is indoor and looks a bit uninteresting. But overall in Beijing this is a very good choice.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Niv T

Many thanks for the positive review on behalf of The Opposite House. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your Opposite House experience. We are particularly glad to hear that you enjoyed the service, the food, the room and the design of the hotel. Please rest assured that we will share your positive feedback to the team. I would also like to take this opportunity to apologize if the minibar did not meet your expectations. We always look for new items to be placed in the rooms for our guests and we hope the next time around you will be positively surprised. As for the temperature in the gym our Engineering team has already amended the temperature.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 July 2014

This is a gorgeous hotel aesthetically with a beautifully curated art space and really interesting interior - but it also lives up to the look and feel with wonderful knowledgable staff and great food and beverage options. I am only sorry my stay was so short - I will definitely return - it was my favourite hotel on a whirlwind 6 cities in 5 days visit.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear FMFNSW

Many thanks for the positive review on behalf of The Opposite House. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your Opposite House experience. We are particularly glad to hear that you enjoyed the art and space. Please rest assured that we will share your positive feedback to the operational team concerning service and dining.