stayed for a few days and found the hotel to be very decent, though a little overpriced. 9/10 staff will greet you politely everytime they meet you. a couple of bellboys were not so friendly and sometimes even give you the "i'm exhausted and can't be bothered" look, which i felt was one of the let downs, esp. since most staff were very well-trained. check-in was smooth and efficient, though a request for a room not facing the main road (zhicun road) was declined. the four elevators serve 20 floors of guests so sometimes you do have to wait awhile.
stayed in the executive floor and the room was very spacious and reasonably well looked after. just the carpet didn't look like they vacuumed it recently. bathroom was tremendously spacious as well with a separate shower, toilet, and bathtub area. do not expect a great view from your windows either way since this is beijing and most days you just get the "cloudy" view. you get a large tv with several channels (enough of non-chinese channels to keep you entertained but i'm not a tv person so all i needed were the news channels e.g. cnn). you get 2 bottled water every day, which is standard in beijing. housekeeping is efficient and helpful and comes around 8am everyday. walls are not very soundproof so sometimes you might hear a neighbor or two who talk too loud or have noisy kids. can't hear their tv though. tried room service once and the food is below average, esp since you can always head out for better food in beijing, though the hotel is not in a touristy area so your options are limited.
gym is of average size with 6 threadmills and gym staff are very helpful with towels and bottled water. bring your own headphones though as the ones stocked at the gym are crappy. heard a few good things about the pool and restaurant but didn't personally try them. breakfast in the exec lounge is not as good as the spread you get in the main restaurant but more privacy and a view (if any) on the 20th floor. if you stay on the exec floors, you also get a free afternoon tea (snacks and cocktail) from 5-7pm.
zhongguancun/haidian is the silicon valley area where universities and microsoft are located, so most people come here for business. for this reason there are few good hotels and crowne plaza (i must admit) must be one of the best in this area. other touristy areas such as wangfujing will offer your usual branded lines but not here. that said, the zhongguancun area has a few malls (including a few famous for buying electronics and repairing iphones) so you should have no problems doing some shopping or dining if you wish. this area has a lot of schools so day-to-day you see students on the streets and i guess to some extent the malls service them as well. not so much street-food here unless you walk to wudaokou (15-20 mins away). closest subway is haidian huangzhuang (lines 4 and 10) which is 7-10 minute walk away. this takes you pretty much to most places. it is esp. close to yuangmingyuan and yiheyuan (just 4/5 stops away) but to go to the east city where the tourists to beijing are, it will take you 45 mins on the subway. taxi everywhere is reasonably priced but traffic is terrible most days/hours. a taxi to the airport is 35mins (no traffic) and up and will cost you around 120 rmb.
overall, it is a very decent hotel, though i think due to the business-oriented crowd in zhongguancun, the hotel is pricey. if you are here for business this is great and you may find a better hotel than this in this area. if you are here as a tourist i will not recommend this area unless you are here solely for the sights in the northwest of the city.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun is surrounded by the universities and technology companies of Haidian, Beijing's intellectual and scientific hub. We're 10 minutes' drive from the Shangdi IT district and the imperial grounds of Peking University and Tsinghua University. You're 40 minutes' drive from Beijing Capital International Airport and a 3-minute stroll from Haidianhuangzhuang subway station for swift city-centre access.Our versatile meeting rooms host conferences, multimedia presentations and shimmering social events. Finalise the deal in a private dining room at Rouge Chinese Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun Hotel Beijing
- Crowne Plaza Zhongguancun