“decent hotel in a relatively uneventful area”

Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun
Ranked #101 of 6,531 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 8 October 2013

stayed for a few days and found the hotel to be very decent, though a little overpriced. 9/10 staff will greet you politely everytime they meet you. a couple of bellboys were not so friendly and sometimes even give you the "i'm exhausted and can't be bothered" look, which i felt was one of the let downs, esp. since most staff were very well-trained. check-in was smooth and efficient, though a request for a room not facing the main road (zhicun road) was declined. the four elevators serve 20 floors of guests so sometimes you do have to wait awhile.

stayed in the executive floor and the room was very spacious and reasonably well looked after. just the carpet didn't look like they vacuumed it recently. bathroom was tremendously spacious as well with a separate shower, toilet, and bathtub area. do not expect a great view from your windows either way since this is beijing and most days you just get the "cloudy" view. you get a large tv with several channels (enough of non-chinese channels to keep you entertained but i'm not a tv person so all i needed were the news channels e.g. cnn). you get 2 bottled water every day, which is standard in beijing. housekeeping is efficient and helpful and comes around 8am everyday. walls are not very soundproof so sometimes you might hear a neighbor or two who talk too loud or have noisy kids. can't hear their tv though. tried room service once and the food is below average, esp since you can always head out for better food in beijing, though the hotel is not in a touristy area so your options are limited.

gym is of average size with 6 threadmills and gym staff are very helpful with towels and bottled water. bring your own headphones though as the ones stocked at the gym are crappy. heard a few good things about the pool and restaurant but didn't personally try them. breakfast in the exec lounge is not as good as the spread you get in the main restaurant but more privacy and a view (if any) on the 20th floor. if you stay on the exec floors, you also get a free afternoon tea (snacks and cocktail) from 5-7pm.

zhongguancun/haidian is the silicon valley area where universities and microsoft are located, so most people come here for business. for this reason there are few good hotels and crowne plaza (i must admit) must be one of the best in this area. other touristy areas such as wangfujing will offer your usual branded lines but not here. that said, the zhongguancun area has a few malls (including a few famous for buying electronics and repairing iphones) so you should have no problems doing some shopping or dining if you wish. this area has a lot of schools so day-to-day you see students on the streets and i guess to some extent the malls service them as well. not so much street-food here unless you walk to wudaokou (15-20 mins away). closest subway is haidian huangzhuang (lines 4 and 10) which is 7-10 minute walk away. this takes you pretty much to most places. it is esp. close to yuangmingyuan and yiheyuan (just 4/5 stops away) but to go to the east city where the tourists to beijing are, it will take you 45 mins on the subway. taxi everywhere is reasonably priced but traffic is terrible most days/hours. a taxi to the airport is 35mins (no traffic) and up and will cost you around 120 rmb.

overall, it is a very decent hotel, though i think due to the business-oriented crowd in zhongguancun, the hotel is pricey. if you are here for business this is great and you may find a better hotel than this in this area. if you are here as a tourist i will not recommend this area unless you are here solely for the sights in the northwest of the city.

Room Tip: get an executive room. it makes a difference.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank cachecacher
zhongguancun, Resident Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

Dear Guest, ,

I am delightful to see your detailed comments on your recent stay in Beijing. We truly appreciate all your details in relevance to hotel services, facilities and hotel surroundings. We have taken note on certain areas, where we could do better and have discussed with management team for improvements.

Thank you very much again. It is indeed our pleasure to have you as our guest and we hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Regards,
Peter Wang
Resident Manager

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun

Reviewed 8 October 2013

No air conditioning. The guy at front front desk told me Beijing city government ruled that if outside temperature is over 24 c, they are not allowed to turn on central air conditioning. He might be happy with his perfect lie. I felt disgusting. I called again to complain. A lady suggested me to open windows. Who would open windows in a heavily polluted city. Furniture is covered with thick dust. I bet people before me capitulated already. I called another crown plaza in Beijing. I was told they periodically turn on cooling system, at least, they did not give gov ruling joke. I am discomfort inside and out. I give 4 star to cleaness as it is very easy to get lot of dust if you open windows. I should be fair to the house keeping people.

Room Tip: Not facing west and south room if you arrived in no air conditioning season.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
zhongguancun, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

Dear Hotel Guest, ,

I am truly sorry for your recent negative experience, while staying with us. We continuously endeavor to offer our guests the best service, which we obviously did not manage this time. I have discussed this matter with my management team and necessary rectifying actions will be taken immediately. Meanwhile, if you wish to contact me directly for further communicates on all relevant details, please feel free to reach me at Damir.Raab@ihg.com. Once again, my sincere apologies and do hope you will honor us with your visit again, so we may redeem our reputation.

Damir Raab

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Sorry to be one of the rare people giving it a bad review...
I had a reservation made for 6 nights, my travel plans changed and I personally called the hotel advising that I would be coming one day late and only staying 5 days, talked to 2 different people who assured me the reservation had been updated accordingly.
Showed up at the hotel after 12 hours flight to be told that my reservation had been cancelled and the hotel was fully. I had to stay at Holiday Inn Haidian, 3 miles away, which is actually a very very nice and quiet hotel.
The management staff made no real effort to try to accomodate. I had to ask that pay for my cab to get to the other hotel.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
zhongguancun, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your most recent experience with Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun on this platform.

At the outset, please accept my unreserved apologies for failing to provide you our professional services, particularly for not being able to accommodate your room reservation. Though those circumstances are very rare, this is certainly not our standard and very regrettable.

We would like to further communicate with you in relevance to above review content, and appreciate if you could contact us separately via Lyn.Peng@ihg.com at your convenience.

Again, I am so sorry for this unfortunate incident, and we do hope to have the opportunity to redeem our reputation by welcoming you back in the not so distant future.

With kindest regards,
Lyn Peng
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

I stay in the Crowne Plaza hotel often when I travel to Beijing. Very good location and condition. The service of the stuff is great, especially the manager Ann Xu is very caring and friendly. She made sure that the room is comfortable. She showed me several rooms available till I find one I liked.

• Stayed: September 2013
zhongguancun, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

Dear WayneXiao,

Thank you so much for your kind compliment and your recommendation, we are truly honored and delighted to read your feedback. As we continuously strive to offer our guests great experiences, this is certainly a wonderful encouragement for our team to even do better. Absolutely, Ann Xu is our shiny star and I am so glad to hear, that she was able to impress you by her proficiency and professionalism. Whishing you happy traveling and look forward to welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Kind regards,
Lyn Peng
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 18 September 2013

Fantastic hotel with great rooms. nicely located in the science/university area of Beijing and easily reached by taxi from airport with Metro Line access nearby. Service is always fantastic and no fault can be had with the food in the restaurants.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
zhongguancun, Chief Concierge at Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

Dear Mr. Mark,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a detailed compliment on Tripadvisor. We are always truly dedicated to create a “Great Hotel Guests Love”.
Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun is indeed surrounded by many of China’s best universities and global technology firms, Zhongguancun is Beijing’s intellectual and scientific hub. We’re 10 minutes drive from the imperial grounds of Peking University and Tsinghua University and the Shangdi IT district, as well as a 3 minutes stroll from Haidian Huangzhuang Metro Station, an interchange station accessing to Line 4 and Line 10. Not to mention the proximity of Summer Palace and Yuan Ming Yuan, the old Summer Palace.
Look forward to welcome you back in the near future, and feel free to contact our concierge team who can make all necessary arrangements to make your stay once more very enjoyable. Thank you.

Best regards and wishing you safe travels.
Justin Lu
Chief Concierge

Reviewed 17 September 2013

One of the best hotels I was in, the whole hotel is clean the rooms are big and luxuriouse. Everybody is helpfull. the breakfast was always the best part of the day as you can choose from many many different types of food from european, american to japanese sushi :) I went there twice and and will go again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
zhongguancun, Director of Food & Beverage at Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

Dear Mr. Marek Fekete,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment on this great platform. We are extremely delighted to learn that you had a pleasant stay and were satisfied with various aspects of our hotel. Your kind words are surely one of our biggest motivations, which will be surely shared with our team. We wish to have you stay with us again in the future.

Best wishes,
Leavis Shao
Director of Food & Beverage

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Rooms are really nice though the air con doesn't always work (you need to complain at the concierge), DVD in each room, WiFi pretty good, breakfast buffets are excellent, in-room dining very heavy on MSG (need to find some way of communicating this to the hotel!) - most delightful of all, hotel staff extremely willing to help - makes a Beijing visit so much more pleasant.

Room Tip: Location is good if you need to be in Haidian for work (as I do) - very close to subway, but in gene...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review on Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun. I will be sharing this comment with the rest of my team who are trying their best to offer outstanding guest experiences. Meanwhile, I am curious to find out and investigate the in-room dining with very heavy MSG. Please be ensured, Intercontinental Hotels Group has issued a clear policy on forbidding any MSG in any of our hotels world wide. Meanwhile, I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel and being able to be at your service again in the near future.

Yours sincerely,