“OK, but not fantastic”

Ranked #23 of 6,522 Hotels in Beijing
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“OK, but not fantastic”
Reviewed 2 September 2009

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights between 17 and 20 July. For the first two nights we stayed in a room on the 6th floor, only to be kept awake by the noise from the nightclub on the 5th floor. We complained on the second night and were informed that the hotel was fully booked and they could not assist. On the morning of the 3rd day we were moved to a higher floor and from there things were better. I cannot understand how a top-class hotel can inconvenience guests by having the nightclub blaring until around 1AM – something I would not have expected from a world-class hotel.

Other than this issue, our stay was fine. The food was good, restaurant selection was fine. I do not appreciate the design of the rooms, i.e. where the toilet is not specifically private from the rest of the room (wonder why it was designed that way?), but Aletta did enjoy the bath being in the middle of the bathroom and visible from the rest of the room. The purple duck on arrival was a nice touch (we had two since we changed rooms).

The area around the hotel is a construction site – not really suited to a nice hotel like this, though we were not impacted by any construction noise. The concierge and the staff at the front desk and the taxi stand were very helpful in all respects – they speak good English, unlike the other places around China that we visited.

We found the pool to be quite cold – would prefer it to be warmer.

Do not be fooled by the taxi driver from the airport asking for USD 100 – it should cost you around RMB 100 (around USD 18) from the airport.

All in all not a bad trip to the Hilton Hotel in Wangfujing – just make sure you ask for a room on a high floor to avoid the nightclub. This is the only reason that I have given an overall rating of average, otherwise I would have gone one rating higher.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
Reviewed 1 September 2009

We spent two nights at the Hilton Wangfujing. Originally booked a Deluxe room under the 2-for-1 offer but was upgraded to a suite because there were no available Deluxe rooms when I checked in.

The room is amazing. The biggest and most spacious hotel room I have ever seen, comfortable bed and pillows, a well-stocked minibar, huge LCD TV, DVD player (with free DVD rentals) and the rain showers and bathtub... Need I say more? The only issue I have to address is the amount of light switches that are in the room. It can be quite a struggle trying to switch on/off the lights that you want.

Service is good as can be expected from a hotel of this caliber, the staff are happy to obliged with your requests. Location is perfect, a short walk to the Wangfujing shopping area and Tiananmen Square, really useful if you are trying to catch the flag raising in the morning. Breakfast is good, with a wide selection and freshly squeezed juice.

In all, a really enjoyable stay, definitely my first choice next time when I am in Beijing.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CrossST
Busselton, Western Australia
Reviewed 26 August 2009

We spent a week here with our two young children. This is a wonderful hotel - there is no doubt about that. We booked a deluxe plus room on their 2 for 1 special at a cost of AU$150/night including breakfast, and couldn't believe our fortune. They supplied a rollaway for one child, and we slept one on the couch and there was still plenty of floor space. The clawfoot tub was gorgeous, and the bed one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The staff are gorgeous, so sweet and helpful. We had a fantastic time. We loved that the APN mall was opposite, which made any shopping or eating we wanted to do while still jet-lagged very easy. The Beijing Hilton deserves all the accolades they get and I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Beijing.

1 Thank OurGrandDayOut
madrid,spain
Reviewed 25 August 2009

The hotel is perfect.The service is awesome, the rooms are almost perfect, enormous and with great views, the swimming pool is great with perfect views and with beds for relax.It has the best buffet breakfast that I have ever tasted, great variety and excellent details such as f¡orange juice freshly squeezed, chinese an japanese brekafast....The hotel is perfect located near major turistic attractions...Is the best Hilton of allt the world.It must be in the Travel and leiusre top 500 hotels!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed 24 August 2009

Just got back from Hilton Wangfujing. It is new and the service is outstanding. As soon as you walk into the hotel, it smells like a flowery perfume...even in the elevator! The staff are very helpful with children (carrying strollers, giving snacks when they're cranky) and the concierge was very helpful when it came to directions, sightseeing and shopping. We rented free DVD's at 4am bc my kids were jetlagged. They have a great selection. The pool was a little cold but not a big deal for me. I did see construction outside but it never bothered me. It wasn't loud and I was used to seeing a lot of construction around that area. This hotel is still very new so the taxi drivers have a little trouble finding it but the hotel gives you a business card with a map so that should help. We ate breakfast buffet at Vasco's which was the best....fresh squeezed juices, fresh fruit, dumpling/noodle station and much more. We also ate at Vasco's for the Lobster buffet and it was very reasonable (about $25pp). It had lobster with different kinds of marinades and spices, lobster salads, etc. They also grill marinated beef, lamb, chicken, pork for you too. The lounge next door also had live music playing and they were very good. At the end of my stay, I was really surprised that my bill was less than what I had anticipated.
Also, the rooms are amazing....modern decor and lots of space. They give you a pillow menu, 2 bottles of water a day, a great minibar...my kids loved playing with the curtains - at the press of a button, they go up/down and side to side. My extended family got an upgrade and their room was even better and more spacious.
We loved it here and felt like VIP all the time....even with the kids. Sometimes with kids, it's difficult because they can be noisy or annoying to others but the staff truly made our stay wonderful and were so good to our children.
Also, my husband went to go see the Great Wall by himself in a taxi and we were expecting it to cost about $100 US but the concierge came outside with us and negotiated the price and we never even asked! I thought that was so nice of him....
The location is excellent. We were right near the Night market and saw all those scorpions being cooked. The Wangfujing area is the place to be! We went to XiuShui market for shopping...it's about a 10 minute drive.
I cannot say anything bad about this place....I hope I can go back again soon!!

1 Thank hydrangea80
Montréal
Reviewed 23 August 2009

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The rooms are large, modern, clean and very, very comfortable. The staff, pleasant and helpful, offered a great service. We had breakfast included with the rooms and the choice and quality of the food was excellent (Chinese, Japanese, Western). The pool is beautiful but the room and water temperature are a little cold so we used it only once. The location of the hotel is really nice, close to Forbidden City and Tienanmen Square (15 min. walk) and Wangfujing road for some shopping with our teens. There are also some Hutongs around where it's really nice to walk and taste some more "traditionnal" Chinese lifestyle. There is a shopping mall within a two minute walk from the hotel and surprisingly, on the 6th floor, there are a few very good Chinese restaurants. Of course this Hilton, even if located in the old part of Beijing, is American style with the comfort that goes with it. If you look for the charm of a more typical Chinese hotel, you should choose to go elsewhere. When we were at Hilton, there was construction around. Not so noisy but there seems to be construction everywhere (we've been in Shanghai and Hong Kong just before) which obviously kills the views.... Can't stop the progress I guess.

Luxembourg
Reviewed 22 August 2009

I booked a Premier suite communicating with another room for the children at the Hilton Beijing Wangfujing (6 nights in August 09).

Upon arrival, we were told that the suite was not available for "technical reasons", and that no other suite (with a communicating room) was available.
And guess what: We were upgraded to the Presidential suite (together with a communicating room):
257m²-2766 sq.ft, 16th. floor, 180° views on the city, a fully equipped kitchen, dinning area and living room, a huge round bed, jacuzzi, Bose surround, etc., etc., etc

Apart of our "special upgrade" ( I am Diamond), this Hilton is absolutely perfect:

* top location bor both shopping and cultural visits
* beatiful design
* Friendly staff
* Nice swimming-pool

On the bad side:

* Noise from construction nearby
* very small gym

I will come back, also in a standart room !