“Elegant if you like a really hard bed”

Jingyi Hotel Beijing
Ranked #2,436 of 6,565 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 18 June 2014

JingYi hotel, near the University district (less than a kilometer to CUPL; OK for Baida and others), has the hardest beds I have ever found in a hotel -- felt like a platform plus an inch of padding. It is quite elegant, with a marvelous Asian buffet breakfast and lunch, spacious rooms arranged around a soaring (12-story atrium). I'd say the rooms were well-equipped, the bathroom especially (though a bit odd to have a plate glass wall between it and the bedroom), but you do have to pay (reasonably) for WiFi that is limited as Beijing wifi generally is; and, strangely, my bedroom lacked a clock of any kind. Staff English is a bit rudimentary.

Room Tip: There are smoking and no smoking floors.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank plsathome

Reviewed 24 May 2014

April 24 - 27, 2014 was our stay.
We have stayed here before and liked it.
This time was with my wife and our just over 2 year old daughter (and various family members that hung out most of the day with us - ha! ).
My only complaint is that of most Chinese hotels, they don't turn on the air-conditioning before a certain date in May. We were on the 11th floor of 12 floors, if I remember right. The heat from the atrium made it's way into our room quickly. I think I might have gotten the air-conditioner to work once, not sure tho. Nights we slept with a window open.
I won't say much about check in and check out as my wife speaks Chinese, so this is never a problem. If you are new to traveling in China, be aware that the hotels will ask to see your passport.
Big rooms! Ours was on the back side facing the farms. We could fit 5 adults and 1 toddler with no problem. We had a shower and a big, deep bathtub. Glass doors and walls in the shower and a large glass window between the bed and the tub. I've always thought that the glass walled bathrooms were more for couples alone than others, but it was very handy to watch our daughter play in the tub as we relaxed on the bed. lol
The beds are hard, but softer than any cheaper Chinese hotel I have stayed in. And much softer than my grandmother-in-law's bed which actually is concrete.
I digress.
The lobby is large mostly polished white marble with black and gold accents. There is a raised fish-shaped lounge area in the middle of the atrium area.
The hotel is clean and the staff friendly, even when I was alone and I don't speak Chinese.
Nearby to the left out the front doors is a Wal-Mart, about 1 - 2 blocks away. There was a good Hot Pot restaurant a few blocks down, past the blind massage shop. This place was good for a stop too!
To the right, walk down to a main road, don't cross, turn right again and in about a block is the Big Bell Temple. Last time I was there it was free on Tuesday's I believe. It's worth a look if you have a couple hours free.
If you continue to cross under the North 3d Ring Road West and turn left, after about 1 - 2 blocks is a restaurant area. KFC is here also if you get that craving. There is a nicer restaurant in this area too, I believe it's on the second or third floor of a nearby building.
Unfortunately the Carrefour in this area has closed.
It's also not far to the Summer Palace, about 4 or 5 metro stops; one of my favorite places in Beijing.
Service was good at the hotel. A luggage cart brought up our luggage and we borrowed one to bring things down on check-out.
Value was good, 400rmb each night. At this time about 67usd.
Sleep quality is where I marked it down. We did have hot rooms, but I wasn't bothered by any noise.
The rooms were cleaned each day, trash emptied, new linens, new towels, and some little things like shoes left out were straightened up.
Location was good to me. Not next door to any tourist traps, more of a business hotel.
Rooms were very good. Two chairs, an ottoman, and the bed could seat 3 or 4 comfortably.
My daughter liked the glass elevator after the first trip wide eyed trip in daddy's arms.
We didn't try the spa but I read there is one here. Same for the pool.
We ate breakfast at the hotel. it is a buffet style with a chef to prepare some special things. What was named sausage one day was hot dog the next. We found a good mix of Chinese and Western food. It states that breakfast is until 10am. On one of our slow mornings we arrived about 9:15. By about 9:30 most things were getting low and by 9:45 the lights above the food tables were turned off.
All in all it's a nice clean, fairly quiet place.
I would stay again.

Room Tip: Of the three rooms I have been in, I didn't find a bad room. All the rooms seems large with roo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CurtisKansas
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I have stayed in this hotel on two separate visits to Beijing. The hotel is quite large with a huge atrium filling the lobby with natural light. The desk staff speak very little English, but enough for me to check in without problems. The rooms were well appointed, however there were some rather unexpected problems.

The first is that the beds are extraordinarily hard. I'm talking so hard that you might suspect that you were sleeping on a slab of concrete, if it were a little softer. It took some getting used to, but I slept fine on it. My travel companion was not so adaptable to the bed in his room and had difficulty sleeping for our entire stay.

The second problem was that there was no weather stripping on the bottom of the room doors so that all of the hallway sounds traveled into the room and I'm assuming that my entire floor was aware of me taking a shower or using the toilet.

Otherwise, the hotel is fine. It's rated as a five star hotel, but if so I'd expect it to be out of ten stars total. It was fine, the food was fine, but it wasn't a luxurious hotel by any stretch of the imagination. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again if I return to do business in the area especially now that I know what to expect from the beds, but first time travelers beware.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Stayed for 3 weeks on August 2013 for a business purpose. The hotel condition is average. Room was well maintained. Since I' am a Muslim, there is not much variety of food on breakfast for a Muslim. The food labelling is also poor. The internet speed is average but the connection is not stable.

Located 10 minutes walk from the nearest Sub way station. Around 15 minutes walking to nearest shopping mall. Convenience store at the hotel open 24 hours but not much staff you can buy. Not enough tourist information in English on the hotel lobby and it is hard for a outsider tourist that can't understand mandarin.

I've enjoyed my 3 weeks here and the only barrier is the language.

Room Tip: Any room should be fine. The receptionist speaks English that you can't understand.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I felt very comfortable in this hotel. The rooms were excellent, nice bathroom, gym with swimming pool, very kind staff. All in all more pleasant and comfortable than the more venerable Jade Palace hotel nearby, which is good too. Room wifi is problematic and not free. I would go there again if the price is competitive.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 July 2013

The Jing Yi is a modern hotel with all the amenities a traveler could ask for -- most of the time. As previous reviews stated, the internet is spotty and the No Smoking policy is constantly ignored. However, I had an unusual experience my first night. I arrived about 1 am to find my room was not held but was already rented. The desk clerk gave me what I understood was the last room available -- a two bedroom suite with large living and dining area. It was enormous. I entered the suite, chose one of the bedrooms, unpacked my things, and went to bed. About 3 am, the door of the suite opened and another couple entered. They had been given the vacant bedroom in "my" suite. Luckily, I the other couple spoke enough English so I could discern what was going on. No one at the front desk informed me of what was happening. I locked the bedroom door and had a fitful night sleep. The next day I was moved to a smaller room (without other occupants).

Room Tip: Check the A/C on arrival. Both my rooms required A/C repair. And the mattresses are very very firm.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Lee638
Reviewed 21 May 2012

The only reason why we stayed there is because it's near to where my beau had his business meetings. We stayed there 4 nights. Of course it's far from downtown, with the traffic during peak hours, it could take almost one hour.

Zichunlu subway station is around 700m from the hotel. If we get out from the hotel, just turn left, after 400m there is Walmart building on the right side, walk again until the big street and turn right and before 300m there is a sign of subway station.

Room cleanliness is fine. Wifi is available at the room. Breakfast is standard taste. The guy who prepare the egg doesn't speak English at all. Whatever I ordered either it's omelette or scramble egg, he gave me sunny side up. I like the Cakwe (You Tiao/ Chinese fried bread stick) which was always fresh. Not only that, it's big chubby size!

Please spend time for checking in/out. Slow service at the reception table. Only a few of them speak English.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business