“Never fell in love with a hotel before!”

Beijing Marriott Hotel City Wall
Ranked #44 of 6,463 Hotels in Beijing
Ogden, Utah
“Never fell in love with a hotel before!”
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I fell in love with Paris... I fell in love with my wife... I fell in love with spring, but never have I fallen in love with a hotel! Before our trip, I had read numerous reviews about this particular Marriott... some good, some bad, some lukewarm. Even Marriott classifies it as a lowly "3" for rewards purposes. To be honest I was a little spooked!

We arrived around midnight in one of their Audi "limos". I had read cab drivers were having a hard time finding the hotel so we decided not to risk a taxi, though it would have been much cheaper. What I didn't know at the time was taxi drivers had a hard time finding most any place because street designations are so confusing.

Important: As we entered I was startled to find an amazingly beautiful, contemporary lobby.

More important: My first epiphany of many dealt with the concierge staff. I had e-mailed them several times concerning restaurant reservations and tours and was always amazed at their speedy response... the most responsive I have ever encountered. Now I know why... as we checked-in Ellen, one of the concierge staff, came over, greeted us and gave me an envelope with a printout for each restaurant reservation requested. Remember this is around one in the morning!!!

At the time, I didn't really realize how important these would be. Whether we walked, took a cab or the subway, they were life savers. On each printout there were two rather insignificant paragraphs, one in English and one in Chinese. These described the restaurant location by proximity to landmarks and well known buildings. This was only way our cab driver found our first restaurant. After that we used the subway because the streets were so congested at dinner time.

From then it just got better and better. For the first year ever, we are Gold Elite members so we had access to the Concierge/Executive Lounge. We have been able to enjoy this "perk" at four different Marriott's this year, but none equaled what we experienced here.

Every morning my wife was re-amazed with the made to order omelets and, realize, when you reach Gold Elite things are free of charge. Every night we would come back exhausted, but had enough energy for a final visit to the lounge for a Baileys, no ice. Note: I am and will do everything I can to maintain this status. We are not rich, only retired, but this status is certainly worth it weight in "gold". We have reached the gold airline level, have gold and platinum credit cards, gold this, gold that, but this is truly the one worth having.

The rooms were spacious and immaculate, the hotel beautiful and the "onion" domed roof top recognizable and stylish, but in retrospect I must correct my header. **I didn't fall in love with the hotel... I fell in love with the staff.** If I knew a word that describes graciousness to the upteempth level I would use it here!!

I only have one complaint... no one told us how good two of their restaurants, the Pearl and the Hawka, would be. We were scheduled to go a "noodle bar" one night, but were so tired of the the traffic and the crowded subways so we decided to eat in the hotel. This is unprecedented, by the way. We generally find hotel food unremarkable and do whatever we can to avoid it.

We had walked by the Pearl one morning, the menu looked good and, amazingly, the prices looked reasonable. So we planned to go there the night in question, but changed our mind. As we approached the Pearl down the corridor, just in front of the Hawka a chef/cook was making noodles by hand. The exact reason I wanted to eat at the aforementioned abandoned "noodle bar." Needless to say, we ate noodles that night and what noodles they were!!. When we got back home and I looked at my credit card billings, I was a little embarrassed to find how little we paid for such a splendid meal. As usual we left a 20% tip, but 20% of close to nothing is, at the saying goes, closer to nothing. Had I known I would have left a larger tip. An aside: I have never enjoyed tipping for "good service" more than in Beijing. After all the word "tip" is an acronym for the phrase "to improve performance" or so our guide in Cairo told us.

I could go on and on, but I'm certain have already passed the information overload level, but I want you to know we went to the Pearl the next night. It was also superb.

Thank you for staying with me.

3 Thank Douglas Y

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Miami
Reviewed 30 September 2012

This hotel is very well located, but need to take taxi to move around!
Big Hotel, buffet breakfast is very good, excellent service!
You can not go wrong with Marriott Hotels!
This is a good hotel to choose!

Spain
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Okay, so the hotel could do with a little tarting up, but I loved it there. We had a suite which was large, clean and comfortable (mattress was surprisingly soft, as usually chinese hotels have breeze blocks as a mattress). We had access to the exec. lounge which served excellent breakfast and a huge assortment of food and drinks at their happy hour. The breakfast in the restaurant was top notch and the service was excellent. Location is good, I think, we were picked up by a tour guide every day.... wherever you stay, prepare to spend a lot of time in traffic if you are by road!

California
Reviewed 29 September 2012

I was told that this hotel was built for the Beijing Olympics in 2008. It is definitely at the higher end of the 5 star scale. I enjoyed staying there for several days and was not disappointed at anytime. The front desk was always busy but moved right along serving the guests in an efficient manner. I concur with the other reviewers' positive remarks regarding this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Bronx, New York
Reviewed 25 September 2012

This was my first trip to China and once again, I was not disappointed with the Marriott. The room was very clean and spacious with all of the necessary in-room amenities. The wi-fi was a little slow at times, but it was still good. For all of you Facebook lovers, Facebook is blocked in China.
Breakfast was very delicious - a variety of American and Chinese style food.
The only problem that we experienced was the language barrier. Only a select few spoke and understood some English. But thanks to our tour guide, we were able to manage. But even with that, the staff was friendly and courteous.
I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 25 September 2012

As an Ex-Beijingner, I like the location. Very central, close to pretty much everything.

We were upgraded to a better room, with coffee machine. Very comfortable bed, bathroom big and clean.

Big selection for breakfast, great seletion of bread, freshly made coffee, not filtered. Cold meat selection is a bit small. But it did not bother me as I could enjoy some chinese food instead.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 September 2012

My first time at the City Wall and I was pleased. It was everything you expect from a Marriott hotel - good clean rooms, excellent in-room amenities (usable skin lotion for example) and high speed wi-fi internet that worked all the time.

Be prepared to wait in line for the cab every morning. I had a 9am meeting on the 3rd ring road (an hour cab ride in the morning rush hour). I got to the cab line at 7:30am (fourth in line) and only got one at 8:30(ish)....my god! After a few anxious moments and calls I got to the meeting only 5 minutes late (so it worked out ok)...not sure if I beat the rush hour traffic while I was waiting or there wasn't any that day (Friday).

The staff was very sympatheic and helpful though. I tried to do a plan B and arrange a hotel car but none was available at short notice. Shame on me for under estimating the Beijing cab situation....and I learned my lesson.

The rooms have no views...in case you are expecting....at tleast none on the 15th floor.

Out of the restaurant options (Chinese, Italian, Asian-fusion) I had a dinner meeting at the Italian restaurant....a passable fair. The client and I shared a few antipasti orders and a couple of wines by the glass. Reasonable prices.....no complains.

Java+ the coffee bar while serving good frsh coffee was not open until 8am (duh!) - while I was ready to start my day at 6. That was a let down.

Overall, a good hotel in a large town....I liked the Marriott Beijing West better though.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business