“Keeping Marriott standards alive”

Beijing Marriott Hotel City Wall
Ranked #36 of 6,474 Hotels in Beijing
Singapore
“Keeping Marriott standards alive”
Reviewed 19 December 2012 via mobile

Marriott Beijing

I checked in for 7 days on a Singapore CTC tour group. Surprised that we get the Marriott! Maybe low season in Dec. The rooms are deluxe and some of my tour members got a smoking room which is bad for the kids. Luckily I had a non-smoking since I had 2 kids with me. I was told there are no 'non-smoking' rooms in Beijing hotel. Ok take that info. The main beds are comfortable, the extra bed I took for my kid was tough and I had to ask for double blanket to make it more bearable. I slept on the extra bed while my kid took the best spot. I snap the tv and room service menu for your future ref as I think this is important for traveller that spend some time in the room. No cartoon networks for kids only CCTV kids channel.
Shower pressure is good. And the hair dryer is Philips Ion which is the same I used at home! This is great as not the typical weak hairdryer power u get from hotels. For that we are really happy.
 Breakfast was good, but after 7 days, I avoid the Chinese stirred veg as it contains more oil than I would take in. They have power fruit juice combo that is nice. Fruits are abundance too.
Overall, a very good hotel by china standards that I stayed before and being Marriott there are expectation that are well met.
Cheers.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 16 December 2012

This hotel is a very good place to stay!!! The ubication is great, the restaurants unbelieveble good, all of these have good prices and the quality of the food was great "Delicious"..... The staff was very nice and very helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JFA8986
Beijing
Reviewed 10 December 2012

Very good!! I stayed there for a weekend my boyfriend, the service is really good, and we are very impressed. We will definitely stay there again in future. However, like others said, the facility is a bit dated, overall it was a good time! Thanks Marriott Hotel

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Gahanna, Ohio
Reviewed 9 December 2012

The Marriott City Wall is a good place for those visiting China especially the first
time so you don't have as much of a culture shock. Very modern, and everyone speaks
English. Very much like US. Close to Pearl Market, easy to get taxi or hop on a bus.
Usually used to stay at Holiday Inn Lido which has since changed hands and this was
my first time at the Marriott. Very much enjoyed it.

Room Tip: Try and get in the executive towers. The rooms are wonderful. Sometimes non-smoking rooms still smel...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 9 December 2012

Our first trip to China started and ended at the Marriott City Wall. It was a beautiful place with lots of luxury features that will make you feel at home. There are great western style restaurants, in case you get homesick for western food (we didn't). The lobby bar was wonderful. There were plenty of English speaking employees to help you get a cab or make excursion arrangements. The only downside to the hotel is that it's far from the heart of the city, like Tiannamen Square or the Forbidden City. Taxis in Beijing is a contact sport, so getting a taxi at the hotel is difficult and getting back from your destination is difficult, due to taxi driver reluctance to leave the heart of the city. The good news is that taxis are cheap,$5-10 US will get you anywhere. Perhaps the hotel can secure a private driver as we did to get to and from the airport.
Beijing is a beautiful city and the people are very friendly, even those who do not speak English.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, clean but go for higher floors to get a good view of the neon in Beijing.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 7 December 2012

On the surface, this should be a first-rate, Marriott five-star. But spend a few days and you'll soon sense something much more mediocre.

Once you're past the marble lobby, you'll find a facility that looks a bit dated, with the carpet starting to wear in the hallways. Service is always a step behind, and sometimes more than a step behind. I twice ordered room-service, and was disappointed both with the small portions and quality of the food. My second experience was truly awful: I ordered a Spaghetti Napolitano that was supposed to be a touch spicy. What I receive was so spicy as to be inedible (and I like spice).

Then there's the internet. If you claim to be a five-star business hotel, the internet better work well. And when it works, it's fast. But on my last morning neither the wireless nor wired internet worked in my room. When I called for help, I was routed to a service desk in the Philippines.

Yes, it's a nice hotel, especially if you compare it to some of the more local options. But for the price, this is waaaaay over-rated. In the end, it's nothing but average. Stay elsewhere if you can.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 2 December 2012

We stayed for 4 nights in early October and had a very nice stay. The hotel is clean and well laid out and the rooms very nice. We payed extra to be upgraded to a better room and get executive lounge access and it was well worth the extra money (roughly USD$100 per night), even if the lounge was a bit crowded most evenings.

The only negative of our stay was dinner one night at Hawka, one of the hotel restaurants. After a few challenging days of dining at local restaurants (most of which were very good once the ordering was taken care of), we were tired and looking for an "easy" dinner one night with our children. Although the hotel restaurants had five star prices, we figured it would be worth it one night to get the five star service and not have to deal with the language/cultural challenges of a restaurant outside of the hotel.

The food was good, and the service was ok, if not a little too intrusive/over attentive. However, part way through dinner my husband accidentally knocked over a beer, and the glass it was in broke. After doing a quick and not very thorough clean up of the glass and beer on the table, the staff seemed to start avoiding us for the rest of the dinner. That was fine, until at the end of the evening the manager, "Andy" came by and started discussing compensation. We initially thought that he was comp-ing us for the beer since it was mostly full when it was knocked over, but eventually we realized that he was charging us for the glass. Not what we expect in a restaurant in a five star hotel, but we said ok. When the bill came, they had charged us 150 yuan (roughly USD$25) for a standard beer glass (about five times the cost of a TsingTao). We called Andy over and questioned the excessive charge, and he just grinned and said that was the cost of the glass.

We'd stay at the hotel again, but definitely not eat at Hawka. We would have given the hotel 5 stars, but knocked one off for the restaurant experience.

Stayed October 2012, travelled with family