“Terrific stay - Superb Hotel”

Beijing Marriott Hotel City Wall
Ranked #33 of 6,531 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 6 July 2009

We have stayed at the Marriott City Wall, Beijing for one week in March 2009 and it was pure pleasure and delight. It was our 2nd time in Beijing and the first time in this hotel, as this was just build in Aug 2008. We upgraded to the next higher category and had access to the executive floor and lounge and therefore, breakfast, dinner drinks and snacks available. The appetizers/snacks were different every night and offered a fantastics variety of japanes/chinese and European cuisine - delicious. Everyone in the hotel was very friendly and helpful, the room was lovely and quite huge and offerend all amenities you might need. The lobby bar and restaurant offered terrific snacks and drinks and the Italian restaurant was also good if you longed for a change. We would always come back to this place without any doubt!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Beijing Marriott Hotel City Wall

Reviewed 3 July 2009

After a long 12 hour flight from Washington-Dulles airport, we arrived in Beijing. Our first hotel with our Vantage Tour group was at the Beijing City Wall Marriott! What a hotel! My room reminded me of the Mandarin Oriental in Miami, Florida. Excellent service. Wanting to use my computer, I did not have the right adapter. Five times, a gentlemen came and helped me with my problem. The last time, it worked and he had the right adapter. I was impressed with his determination to "get it right". The hotel breakfast - wow - something else! Western and Eastern food - this was the beginning of my gaining weight on this 21 day tour. We ate at the Chinese Restaurant, and yes, there were some language problems, but you could not discount the employees trying their best to "get it right". The only negative thing that happened was when I was writing my signature on a travelers check - they would not cash it, because on my signature I went "below the line" and marked over the digits and the "Bank of China" would not accept it. So, be careful when you sign in front of them, and do NOT sign beyond the line area and cross the digits on the travelers checks.

Hotel room was beautiful. I have read the other reviews on "bad smells", but I never heard or experienced any of that. And we were there for 4 nights with a tour group. Because of the marble floors, the hole is needed to drain any excess water, but never did I smell anything bad. I was impressed with the hotel room, that I took several pictures of it.

Walked 7 minutes to the subway. Concierge helped me on how to get there. Crossing the street - watch out! Follow the Chinese. It can be scary, but it is doable. Pedestrians here do not have the "right of way". Took the subway and made my way to the NEST and the CUBE. The place has two subway stations, and the place is huge! I went to the Olympic store. No one there spoke English, but through hand signs, and gestures, I got what I wanted. People on the tour were jealous that I actually got official Olympic t-shirts and souvenirs, with the tags that say so. Also went to the Silk Market which was a short subway away. Loved it. Learned to love "haggling". From the subway, you can go underground and enter the SIlk Market through the basement floor, rather than try to cross the street! Three times I was helped by the local people to get me through the subway. No Chinese or English was spoken. Just gestures. I have never felt so welcome by random people in one of the most populous cities I have even seen. I love China!

Around the corner, and if you get up early enough, you will see the locals do their morning exercise. Across the street, you see students go through their morning exercise also, before school starts. It was interesting to watch.

Hotel internet was pricey, but I used it anyways.

For the first time American visitor to China, you will like this place. Beyond any normal American hotel. Just have an open mind, try and taste the local foods. The hotel atmosphere in the lobby seems cold and lonely, but you quickly get used to it. Only one time did I go down, and the bar was crowded. It must have been some local group or something.

Go to THIS Marriott in Beijing. You will love it.

• Stayed: June 2009
2  Thank wannago2Chinaagain
Reviewed 26 February 2009

Took the airport shuttle bus to the main railroad station; then about a 10 minute walk to the hotel. It's kinda weird how far the shuttle bus drops you off from the railroad station. the cost of the hotel shuttle bus is 15RMB. The hotel is pretty new; breakfast was included which was nice and ample. I stayed in tower D and the lounge on the 16th floor had three computers with free internet access. The room was large, as was the bathroom. 5 minute walk to the railroad station which also has a subway station. It took about 45 minutes on the subway to get to the Olympic park (3 transfers), and about 15 minutes to Tian'amen square/Forbidden city. I tried to take the train back to the airport, but the cab driver just dropped me off at the station from where the airport train departs, but could not find the actual train station, only the subway station (this is not the main railroad station). I ended up taking a cab to the airport which cost 90RMB. Would definitely stay here again, very nice and new, modern comfortable hotel with good service.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank LIVEINHOuSTON
An Agoda Traveller
Reviewed 23 February 2009

• Stayed: February 2009
Reviewed 7 February 2009

My partner and I stayed there for three nights in December and enjoyed the hotel tremendously. Everything was perfect - customer service, room, breakfast, location. Wish we had been there for longer! We'll definitely stay there when we go again!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank maobee
Reviewed 1 February 2009

Stayed for one night using Reward Points

Upgraded to an Executive room. Great room, with superb views over Beijing. Room very modern and all facilities you'd expect from Marriott

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2008

1) Bad location except for the train station
2) dirty carpet, look clean but when you take a closer look, the edges are yukkie
3) expensive internet access US$ 20.00 per day