“Very Noisy Hotel Stay”

Ranked #2,473 of 6,449 Hotels in Beijing
Athens, Ohio
“Very Noisy Hotel Stay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2011

This hotel is very economical. The room was clean and had a bathtub. I had just arrived in China, and I could not sleep the first two nights, because noisy construction was going on all night long from 9 PM - 5 AM of bull dozers dumping large chunks of concrete in dump trucks. After the second sleepiness night, I requested a room change from the north side of the building to the other side (South for those without a sense of direction) of the building but that meant giving up my queen size bed for a twin bed, if I were to keep a nonsmoking room and give up the bathtub. Interestingly, I passed by about a month later and they were still doing the same noisy construction all night long.

The weather was very cold outside, but our room was too hot and adjusting the thermostat had no effect on the heat streaming into the room. We finally just turned the heat off and the room was still warm.

Breakfast was only $5 per person, but it was very uninspiring and the brewed coffee was undrinkable, but not the worst that I have had at a hotel for breakfast in China. The Hot Club Spa Hotel managed to serve even a worse concoction because they never changed the coffee after each pot. They just kept adding water to the old grounds, but I can remember when the only coffee you could find in China was Nescafe so I am happy that the hotels are at least now attempting to brew it.

Checkout is very slow because they do everything by paper. The hotel reception is not computerized. English is somewhat iffy when you check in and out of the hotel as well.

I think there are better hotels in the area that are slightly more expensive but worth the extra money, especially as long as the construction is going on next door.

Room Tip: Avoid the North Side of the building until the construction project outside is completed or bring a...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Bay City, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

My partner and I just returned from a nine night stay at this hotel. It's hard to make a blanket statement about the place. There were some great points and some not so great points, so I'll try to list the best and the worst.

The pluses:
1) I enjoyed the location. While not close to the tourist areas, it gave a better sense of being in a Beijing neighbourhood. There were lots of local shops and restaurants and very few Western tourists, aside from those attending the same conference at Capital Normal University. In the evening, the area comes to life with myriad street vendors selling all sorts of food.

2) The staff was friendly and did their best to solve problems. The staff always seemed genuinely pleased to see the guests and would greet us with a friendly "ni hao" whenever we crossed paths in the corridors, elevators or lobby. When we reported an issue with the internet connection in our room, someone was promptly sent up to check out the issue (at 11:30 at night)! When it was determined that the problem could not be easily solved, as the ethernet jack had fallen inside the wall, we were immediately given a new room and the staff helped move us, again, in the middle of the night. A staff member even came back to the new room a half an hour later with a couple of small items we had forgotten to take from the old room.

The minuses:
1) The beds are incredibly hard. I like an extra-firm mattress, but these were like stone.
2) The staff has very limited English. The best English speaker was the doorman!
3) The staff would not do some things that I consider basic in a hotel. They would not call for a taxi for us at 3:00 am to get to the airport, nor would they take my stamped postcards to put in with their mail.
4) While this is a four-star hotel in China, it's definitely not four star by Western standards. The rooms are carpeted and that doesn't get vacuumed too often. It's tired, dingy and dirty. One of the other conference attendees returned to her room to find five inch mushrooms growing from the middle of her room in the carpet!
5) No wireless internet available, which is true of every hotel I've ever stayed at in China. The internet worked sporadically, faster at some times and much slower at other times. (Again, this has occurred in all of the hotels I've been at in China.)
6) When you enter the room, you must insert your plastic key into a slot to turn on the electricity in the room. This is fairly standard throughout China. However, at this hotel, when you cut the electricity, you cut the electricity to the a/c and the mini-fridge. So if you're gone for a long day of sight-seeing, you'll return to a stuffy room with slightly chilled drinks. To get around that, place a subway ticket card in the slot, or any other plastic card that you're not using (not a credit card though...)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Michigan_Traveller72
Mount Pocono, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2011

I along with about 100+ foreigners stayed here in August of 2009 for a month of training. The hotel was clean and new. The staff was very friendly and ready to help with anything we needed. They offered a large breakfast every morning that was delicious. I want to say thank you to the entire staff for everything! I hope to see you again!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business