“Ok - Not Great”

Ranked #146 of 6,516 Hotels in Beijing
Los Angeles, California
“Ok - Not Great”
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We stayed here while with a large tour group in late May 2012. Our room was on the 9th floor. The room itself was ok, but the bathroom was sub standard for a hotel of this size. There were floor tiles missing in the shower and mildew too. The towels were thin and fraying on the edges. We tried to change rooms, thinking maybe we just got a bad room - but when we went to the new room it was even worse than the one we had before! I should also mention that asking for a new room was not painless either! The hotel staff did not speak very good English, which made it hard. The breakfast buffet was good - lots of choices.

Our keys got deactivated 3 times during our 5 day stay - rather annoying.

The checkout took a LONG time. Not sure if it was due to the hotel staff or the guests fault, but there was only one desk open - they could have opened another to expedite the line.

Lastly, the location is not good for local sightseeing. Taxi's were expensive because it was so far from all the sites. For us it was ok because the tour handled most of our transfers to the sights, but on our free days we realized just how far away from everything we were. A few taxi's wouldn't even drive us back to the hotel because it was too far or they were unfamilair with the area. If you are not with a tour I would recommend staying somewhere more central to the main attractions.

Overall, I would not stay here again. The only highlight was the local neighborhood. We walked about in the evening and saw the local stores and people, which were very nice.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 June 2012 via mobile

The staff took 30 minutes to check me in, I booked a floor on the executive floor and they could not put me on the executive floor. The wireless Internet service promised was not available. The service for the three day stay was amongst the worst I have experienced. The checkout took 15 minutes and there was no bell boy to store my luggage. I ordered a car (and paid), the car never arrived....let's see whether I get a refund. There are many much better hotels in Beijing, I won't be staying at this one again.

Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank eduonthego
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We took tour to china, checked in on April 25th. 2012 at 2.30 at night, technically 26th. April. 2012 early morning. They could not find our non smoking rooms. After 45 minutes they found non smoking rooms. ( after telling us they are fully booked and they do not have any rooms.) Rooms were very hot no air condition. Next day morning they told us chineese govt. do not allow us to use air conditioner till may. Then there was Sewer smell in the room we told them to take care of it. When we came after 14 hours it was not done. So we change room. On april 28th. No housekeeping service, excuse given was do not disturb sign. And I know there was no do not disturb sign, because it was not there when we came back at night 10.00 PM. And my husband had discussed with front desk what we need in the room. When we called manager on duty he kept on telling me your travel agent had booked it , I can not give you. Refund. As if travel agent had paid from his pocket out of his GOODNESS. Services bed, I would advise everyone not to stay at this park plaza hotel west. And it is also too far from all the attractions. Oh, by the way manager on duty told me it is late for GM to wake up and not for the guest while he kept on going on ang on......the bottomline reason was they had given deeply discounted rate to travel agent and did not wanted me know about this. I did ask him straight out and he had said that is right. I know this since I had owned hotel for 25 years. Also club Carlson had 100% satisfaction guarantee, but they did not wanted to honor that either. Once I wil. Go back to USA I will give them call and tell them too, how bed their services are.

Room Tip: Never stay at this place. Period.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We stayed here at the end of March with a large tour group. The air conditioning was not turned on in late March, and other peoples' rooms were very hot. We had a lower room on the 5th floor, and it was not hot, maybe switching to a lower room if your room is too hot would help. The breakfast buffet is absolutely fabulous, really huge and accommodating many different cultural preferances for breakfast. I didn't find the rooms as filthy as another reviewer who just commented here did, I thought it was fine though not immaculate. The smoking is a problem, even though I complained about specific neighboring rooms that were loud with doors open and smoking in the halls, it did not stop, and this went on every night though luckily they shut it down about 9 or 10 pm. The hotel could do better to stop this. The subway stop is about 15 minutes walk away, we did that one day to get to Lama Temple and then Silk Street Market. ASK AT CONCIERGE for a card from the hotel that gives the address and a little map, you WILL need that to show a taxi driver...when a driver will eventually agree to take you, we had a lot of problem with drivers refusing to pick us up. We took the subway one day after a problem trying to get a taxi back to the hotel the prior night. MCDONALDS, PIZZA HUT AND KFC are a couple of blocks away...good luck asking at concierge for that, they sent us to a pizza hut further away that we had to taxi to and from, which was horrible. Other people on the tour told us about the 3 restaurants that I mentioned being down the block, turn right, down that block and turn right again. Check on this before trying it. We were happy to have North American food after so many days of chinese food on our tour. Overall, I still thought it was a nice hotel.

Room Tip: ask if a/c is turned on at the time you wish to travel
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We stayed March 25 to March 31st 2012 as part of a tour group. Our room was on the 9th floor facing Xicui Road. The location of the hotel is about a mile from the nearest subway station. There are many shops around the area and you can find some Western restaurants down the street and around the corner across the street from the Mastercard Center.

I felt the place was dirty. The carpet was absolutely filthy in our room and the restaurant. They should tear it all out if they can't keep it clean. The drapes were filthy and the hard surfaces didn't look all that clean. I wore my flip flops in the shower. The room does come with robes and slippers. A guide told me the Chinese don't keep their floors clean and they do wear their shoes in the house. The maids are men so that might explain it. My husband is not the guy you want cleaning your room.

Breakfast was included in our tour and we ate dinner once. I instructed them on how to make a grilled cheese because I was so sick of Chinese food. They were very accommodating. The kitchen and food standards are good and we didn't get sick. In fact, we gained weight. There are plenty of choices at the breakfast buffet and staff want to provide good service. However, there is usually only one hotel person per shift with good English.

The bed was clean and comfortable. However, the room was so hot, we never slept through a night. The temperature was always 26c when we got to the room. We would open the door to cool it down but it was too noisy to leave it open all night. We heard everyone complain about room temperature and the fact that the air conditioning wasn't turned on at this time of year.

Smoking is no longer allowed in public places and a sign says this at the front door. However, the Chinese feel free to light up all over the hotel and no one stops them. They sit in the lobby right in front of the front desk and puff away. The Chinese smoke in the nonsmoking rooms so good luck if you have an allergy to smoke. We saw our next door neighbors sitting in a cloud of smoke every night with their door open. The smoke poured out and we smelled it in our room as well. Their room had a nonsmoking sign. One day I had to wait for another elevator because one was filled with smoke.

This hotel was ok but didn't meet my clean standards so I would not stay there again. If you do stay there, don't be afraid to venture out and visit the local stores. We found it interesting, cheap and were treated well. Most Chinese don't speak English but they are kind and welcoming.

Room Tip: The back may be quieter and maybe not as hot as the front.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Splishsplash41
Alesund, Norway
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Stayed at this hotel Sept 2011 together with a group of people on a roundtrip in China.

Nice, large rooms, very modern - comfortable beds and nice lobby. Free wifi in the lobby - in the room - internet cable, but since I had IPad I had go go to the lobby.
Since we had own bus - I know nothing abt transport facilities around the hotel.
They had a nice bar, but coctails and drinks which they had on the list were hard to get - several people invioved in drink mixing. But when I fianlly got the coctail - it was good :-))))

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
San Fernando, Philippines
Reviewed 12 September 2011

we love this hotel so much because of it's modern style and facilities. huge rooms,soft comfortable beds and pillows,free internet inside the room and @ the lobby.daily buffet breakfast was so delicious and even their freshly squeezed fruit juices are so good not to mention their sweet succulent fresh fruits .
i highly recommend this hotel if you will be visiting beijing. though the location is way out of the city center but for me it doesn't matter because if you avail a full package tour,everyday u are always out for sightseeing and even visiting some souvenir shops and mall.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends