“As a tourist DO NOT Stay Here, there are plenty of other airport hotels”

Golden Phoenix Hotel Beijing
Ranked #3,596 of 6,531 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 3 May 2014

There are at least four Phoenix Hotels in Beijing DON’T get the wrong one!

This is the worst example of the airport hotel genre that I have experienced in quite a few years. With the sole exception of my waitress in the restaurant (who was sweet), the hotel staff were rude and unhelpful. I speak enough Chinese to get around, but in general the staff could not be bothered. A throw back to the old days of Communism.
The rooms are large but basic and well worn. Beds OK by Chinese standards.
The biggest problem was that the design of the building (a circular shell) means that you can hear doors being SLAMMED all over the hotel. During my stay it was a windy night and one particular door slammed periodically all night, so not much sleep.
Surprisingly good food in the restaurant.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 100nights
There are newer reviews for Golden Phoenix Hotel Beijing

Reviewed 25 April 2014

My flight from NYC was 20 minutes late and due to the Chinese custom of making travelers leave the secured area to go through customs before connecting to other flights, there was no way to get to the next plane before boarding was closed. Soooooo, I was stuck in Beijing until I could get to Bangkok. The hotel, while very close to the airport, is a bit isolated from anything else and one could not imagine staying there for anything but a layover. The area is far from any of the sights of Beijing, although would make a good starting point for excursions to the Great Wall.

Upon check in at the hotel I was told that Air China requires double occupancy in complimentary rooms, but as a opened my mouth in protest they quickly added that for 150 Yuan ($25) I could upgrade to a single room. After traveling for 18 hours I was not inclined to argue so I ponied up the extra cost. It did include dinner and breakfast so it wasn't a total outrage and I could pay with my US credit card, a rarity in the China. The front desk staff was polite and efficient, if not quite friendly.

The hotel lobby was very nice although apparently unheated and it was a bit cold for comfortable sitting. It was the only place though were one could obtain free Wifi and since I had to contact the folks who were expecting me in Phuket, I no choice but suffer in silence. The guest room was nicely appointed and large in size with a window overlooking an interior courtyard. As is typical of Chinese hotels the carpets were bit grungy, although I have experienced much worse.
Thankfully they always provide slippers. Also typical of Asian accomodations, there were only bath towels for linens, but shampoo and soap were provided, a rarity for Chinese hotels. The bed linens were clean and adequate and the bed was firm but a bit softer than many hotels in China. The room was quiet and had adequate temperature control and a large flat screen TV with a good offering of international channels.

The highlight of my brief stay was unquestionably the food buffet which was actually surprisingly good. Dinner was predominately Chinese food with a few Western offerings such a variety of breads and hot dogs ("sausages"). Breakfast foods catered to both Western and Chinese palates and was also quite good. The only oddity was that at dinner they required me to eat in the main dining room versus the adjacent smaller one. At 11:30 PM local time, I was the lone diner in a vast sea of stark white tables and chairs. A bit creepy.

The Golden Phoenix is an OK hotel for passing through Beijing. A bit pricey by Chinese standards but a good value by Western standards.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street. Court yard rooms closer to the ground floor can pick up the fre...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank rpccc43
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Tokyo to JFK connection missed so Air China shuttled us here for the night. Clean, adequate, decent food and service. Convenient to nothing other than the airport. In order to see Beijing, this is not the place.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Baysidebob
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My family was in transit from Houston to Guangzhou and spent 1 night at the Golden Phoenix Hotel. The staff were very nice, the room clean and comfortable, the breakfast was good, the shuttle to/ from the airport prompt. So good that we tried to again book here for our return to the U.S. but alas no room available. We will again use this hotel in our travels.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 March 2014

The rooms were very clean and the staff very pleasant. Our flight was delayed 24 hours and the airlines put us up here. The buffet was nice, though many foods that I wasn't familiar with. It was a very nice hotel overall, with the exception of the location. It is about 5 miles from the airport with absolutely nothing around. We walked about a mile in 3 different directions and never saw one store or restaurant.

Room Tip: If you like to wonder to shops and restaurants, this is not the place to be.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Traveled to Beijing, and had to fly to another city in China, but the flight was cancelled to the next morning, so Air China put us up in the Golden Phoenix Hotel which is 5 minutes away from the airport.

It was definitely not by choice, but I thought I write a review anyway.

The hotel is quite old, you can tell the carpets has not been washed for years, since Beijing is extremely polluted, and the people still chain smoke in that city, the carpet and the rooms and the hotel complex smells like smoke everywhere.

The room I had was a two single bed room, Room is very tiny, enough to fit literally two single beds and a desk, the tv was mounted on the wall.

The bathroom is tiny, and the showers had no doors. The shower head was right beside the sink, hairdryer electrical socket, and the toilet is right in front of it. I am a small, petite woman, and it was tough to shower in that small bathroom. I know i should be happy that I have a shower and hot water and a toilet even, but hey, it's the 21st century, and I'm from North American, so I'm not use to living it tough.

Beware, the floor is very slippery in the bathroom, i slipped three times showering, thank god, I did not fall and got injured.

The beds are a bit hard, and the pillows are like paper thin, I had to put a sweater underneath my pillow to sleep.

The walls are very thin, i am not even joking, you can hear everything. The two guys beside my room smoked and were talking until 2 am, and got room service for something (towels?), I heard EVERYTHING. It was horrible.

In conclusion, if you don't have to, do not stay at this hotel, unless you really don't care about quality.

Room Tip: if you have to stay here, ask for a room that has showers with doors. My sister had that room, unfor...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank noboston
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Like most of the reviewers, I was offered a free hotel resulted from Air China flight from New Year arrived 30 minutes after my connecting flight to Bangkok has left without me. I won't recommend this to anyone. The sheets weren't change so my roommate for the night, another fellow sufferer who has missed her flight as well, had to called them to change the sheets as we found strands of hair on both beds. :( Complimentary dinner consisted of 2 types of chicken and 3 types of veggie dish. So if you have gout and dislike veg, you'll probably has to go without dinner or order something and pay for it yourself.

I got here in the evening so having ventured out yet. But by the look on Google Map, it's in the middle of nowhere.

I did asked Air China duty mgr. if they could put me in an internally recognized hotel chain but no such luck.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo