See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 May 2014

There are at least four Phoenix Hotels in Beijing DON’T get the wrong one!

This is the worst example of the airport hotel genre that I have experienced in quite a few years. With the sole exception of my waitress in the restaurant (who was sweet), the hotel staff were rude and unhelpful. I speak enough Chinese to get around, but in general the staff could not be bothered. A throw back to the old days of Communism.
The rooms are large but basic and well worn. Beds OK by Chinese standards.
The biggest problem was that the design of the building (a circular shell) means that you can hear doors being SLAMMED all over the hotel. During my stay it was a windy night and one particular door slammed periodically all night, so not much sleep.
Surprisingly good food in the restaurant.

Date of stay: April 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank 100nights
Reviewed 25 April 2014

My flight from NYC was 20 minutes late and due to the Chinese custom of making travelers leave the secured area to go through customs before connecting to other flights, there was no way to get to the next plane before boarding was closed. Soooooo, I was stuck in Beijing until I could get to Bangkok. The hotel, while very close to the airport, is a bit isolated from anything else and one could not imagine staying there for anything but a layover. The area is far from any of the sights of Beijing, although would make a good starting point for excursions to the Great Wall.

Upon check in at the hotel I was told that Air China requires double occupancy in complimentary rooms, but as a opened my mouth in protest they quickly added that for 150 Yuan ($25) I could upgrade to a single room. After traveling for 18 hours I was not inclined to argue so I ponied up the extra cost. It did include dinner and breakfast so it wasn't a total outrage and I could pay with my US credit card, a rarity in the China. The front desk staff was polite and efficient, if not quite friendly.

The hotel lobby was very nice although apparently unheated and it was a bit cold for comfortable sitting. It was the only place though were one could obtain free Wifi and since I had to contact the folks who were expecting me in Phuket, I no choice but suffer in silence. The guest room was nicely appointed and large in size with a window overlooking an interior courtyard. As is typical of Chinese hotels the carpets were bit grungy, although I have experienced much worse.
Thankfully they always provide slippers. Also typical of Asian accomodations, there were only bath towels for linens, but shampoo and soap were provided, a rarity for Chinese hotels. The bed linens were clean and adequate and the bed was firm but a bit softer than many hotels in China. The room was quiet and had adequate temperature control and a large flat screen TV with a good offering of international channels.

The highlight of my brief stay was unquestionably the food buffet which was actually surprisingly good. Dinner was predominately Chinese food with a few Western offerings such a variety of breads and hot dogs ("sausages"). Breakfast foods catered to both Western and Chinese palates and was also quite good. The only oddity was that at dinner they required me to eat in the main dining room versus the adjacent smaller one. At 11:30 PM local time, I was the lone diner in a vast sea of stark white tables and chairs. A bit creepy.

The Golden Phoenix is an OK hotel for passing through Beijing. A bit pricey by Chinese standards but a good value by Western standards.

Room tip: Ask for a room away from the street. Court yard rooms closer to the ground floor can pick up the free Wifi from the lobby.
Date of stay: March 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank rpccc43
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Tokyo to JFK connection missed so Air China shuttled us here for the night. Clean, adequate, decent food and service. Convenient to nothing other than the airport. In order to see Beijing, this is not the place.

Date of stay: April 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Baysidebob
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My family was in transit from Houston to Guangzhou and spent 1 night at the Golden Phoenix Hotel. The staff were very nice, the room clean and comfortable, the breakfast was good, the shuttle to/ from the airport prompt. So good that we tried to again book here for our return to the U.S. but alas no room available. We will again use this hotel in our travels.

Date of stay: March 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 16 March 2014

The rooms were very clean and the staff very pleasant. Our flight was delayed 24 hours and the airlines put us up here. The buffet was nice, though many foods that I wasn't familiar with. It was a very nice hotel overall, with the exception of the location. It is about 5 miles from the airport with absolutely nothing around. We walked about a mile in 3 different directions and never saw one store or restaurant.

Room tip: If you like to wonder to shops and restaurants, this is not the place to be.
Date of stay: August 2013